Is there any gamepads made for 7 / 8 " tablets ?

kamui_kun

Hi,

I'm thinking in getting a Dell Venue 8 Pro (a 8" x86 tablet running Windows 8.1 desktop) that should be powerfull enough for some retro gaming (up to the dreamcast I suppose, maybe some PS2 games), but the main problem for gaming is that it is a simple tablet without gaming controls or even a keyboard.

So, is there any good gamepads made for this size of tablets (arround 7") ? Can't find any ...

How about an OTG lead and a PS2 to USB adaptor?  Thats what I use.

8pcs-2-Port-Dual-font-b-USB-b-font-Game-Converter-Adapter-for-Sony-font-b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wouldnt not expect the venue 8 pro to do dreamcast or ps2. any bluetooth controller should work well with a 7-8 inch tablet.

Thanks, but actually, I was thinking in a Wikipad style attachement, that will be usable as a handheld (the result would looks like a Wii U Controller).

Is this the sort of thing you are after? Can't see it available anywhere for anything less than wholesale quantities but if you wait a bit it may well be available via retail.

whats the requirements for dreamcast emulation? I would think it would be fairly high. 

heres an ivy bridge tablet playing DC + ps2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0EmkXYBTc

and:

While Bay Trail's GPU shares an architecture with Intel's HD 4000, don't expect the performance to be similar (or even particularly close). Bay Trail's GPU is a much cut-down version of the HD 4000—it has four EUs where the HD 4000 had 16, for starters. It also runs at a lower clock speed of 667MHz, where the most common implementations of the HD 4000 run at 850MHz, 1.05GHz, or 1.15GHz. The result is something that, on paper, provides a bit less than a quarter of the performance you could get in a full-fledged Ultrabook last year.
Anyway, I would personally invest in a i5 or greater tablet for emulation that high.

I actually plan on getting a new W8.1 tablet soon. Going to wait and see which one has the best gaming experience around feb 2014 and go with that one. Currently the razer edge and the surface pro 2 are what I'm looking at.

Well, I will tell you in about 1 week about its performances (when I'll receive it), but I'm prettry sure Sega Saturn / Dreamcast and some PS2 / GC games will run well on it ;)

I don't like the 10" tablets, way too big / heavy for me, and not the same price category either (I bought the Dell for about 269 euros new, the razer edge is around 1000).

Of course don't expect to run GPU heavy games on it (recents native windows games), but the GPU specs needed for these emulators are quite low, actually it is the CPU that will make the difference, and in this case, a quad core 1.8 ghz should do it ^^

This last gen Atom is exactly what I was waiting for for years, finally decents performances, and 8 hours + in real world usage.

I've also been waiting for portable x86 computing for years. Android and arm has has such great advancements but still haven't really delivered what a portable pc should be. Unfortunately I think baytrail while a good alternative to arm for media consumption devices, just isn't powerful enough.

Is this the sort of thing you are after? Can't see it available anywhere for anything less than wholesale quantities but if you wait a bit it may well be available via retail.
Sometimes if you contact these guys they will sell you a sample. 

Good find by the way

Back