Looking For Lite Alternative To Pandora or good tablet

johncross85

Startled By Midgets
Website
Visit site
Is there a 'lite' alternative to the Pandora out there? Something that's got a decent web browser and boots quickly but is smaller than a netbook? I'm mostly interested in it for web browsing and general fiddling with so I'm not bothered about gaming controls etc.

I have been pondering buying an iPod Touch but they are a bit small. Meanwhile an iPad is too expensive. The Ben Nanonote is too low res but most netbooks these days seem to have 10" screens (which is too big).

There's a load of cheap Chinese tablets knocking about but are any of them any good? If they're anything like the Dingoo they'll get released and then immediately abandoned. I saw the Point Of View 7" Mobii (Android 2.1) and the Orphan X10 (Win CE I think) but I doubt they are any better.

So does anyone know of either a 7" tablet or approx 7" netbook that is actually any good and not hugely overpriced?

Cheers!

john

Okay... bit more to add to this...

I've just spent a while looking through the customer reviews on Amazon of various cheap Tablets. There appears to be quite a few 7" Android 2.1 Tablets with Arm 11 processors popping up. The reviews vary wildly. Has anyone tried one of these out?

Also - I originally called this "Replying to Looking For Lite Alternative To Pandora" because I though my best bet was something with a keyboard but a bit smaller than a netbook. I suppose as I'm now also asking about cheap tablets that titles pretty misleading so sorry 'bout that!

john

johncross85 said:
I suppose as I'm now also asking about cheap tablets that titles pretty misleading so sorry 'bout that!

john
fixed the title for ya ;)

I've been looking at some tablets because my girlfriend's dad needs a decent christmas gift and likes gadgets. I am personally not very fond of those chinese tablets. I am sure most of them will never receive decent updates and the hardware is probably dodgy as hell. Wouldn't risk buying one of those. Try the new nook. That looks like a very nice tablet/e-reader running android and since it's produced by barnes&nobles, I am sure they won't drop support for a couple years.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't buy anything with WinCE on it or the disappointment will haunt you for the reast of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
A review of the soon to be available Nationite Rocktab, By someone who has received a pre-production unit, As it is only available via pre-order.

BEWARE, LINK CONTAINS A HUGE, AND I MEAN A HUGE AMOUNT OF LARGE PICTURES. WHICH TOTAL'S UP TO OVER 55MB's BIG.

Trooper

trooper said:
A review of the soon to be available Nationite Rocktab, By someone who has received a pre-production unit, As it is only available via pre-order.

BEWARE, LINK CONTAINS A HUGE, AND I MEAN A HUGE AMOUNT OF LARGE PICTURES. WHICH TOTAL'S UP TO OVER 55MB's BIG.

Trooper

I'm quite tempted by the tablets that MP4Nation have on offer because if nothing else at least you know what you are getting thanks to they excellent (and honest) video reviews. That said, you can get higher spec tabs for less money elsewhere but whether or not you'll get what you expect is another thing.

john

In case anyone's interested...

After a lot of research I have opted to get a Nationite MidNite from MP4Nation for £125 (delivered). My thinking is that the whole android tablet market is currently too volatile to spend any more. If I get a decent amount of use out of the MidNite I may change it for a Advent Vega or a Archos 70 in a few months.

john

I'd get the same one, if only it had capacitive touchscreen (multi-touch is important to me) instead .. ah well, still on the lookout for a good tablet that fits the bill.

torpor said:
I'd get the same one, if only it had capacitive touchscreen (multi-touch is important to me) instead .. ah well, still on the lookout for a good tablet that fits the bill.

I believe both the Advent Vega and the Archos 70 have capacitive screens but you are looking at twice the price of the MidNite. There is a multi-touch on MP4Nation called the Telepad 10.1 but it only has a Telechips TCC8902 processor and the video review they give hardly sings the praises of the screen responsiveness.

john

Back