Is There A Wiz Video Converter?

dogeymon

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
Videos I download usually come off the bat already in .AVI format. And the Wiz generally plays any of them. But I'm finding that if the videos are big in file size, it has trouble playing them. They get choppy the more motion is on screen, and depending on the colors or what not.

Can anyone suggest a free MacOSX video converter that will give me a video file that's perfect for Wiz to play?

Also, I thought Wiz played MPEG4 videos. All my clips I originally was playing on my Sony PSP won't show up in the "movie" folder on my Wiz. And I know that's the right place to put the videos because I see the .AVI files there. Aren't .mp4 and MPEG4 the same thing?

Any info would be helpful. THANKS!

you can use mencoder from mplayer package to convert videos, i used it to convert audio+video, and my WIZ plays it perfectly

couldnt find the mendcoder on our file archive so here it is again..

http://www.2shared.com/file/7514226/d4513d24/mencoder.html

Spykez said:
couldnt find the mendcoder on our file archive so here it is again..

http://www.2shared.com/file/7514226/d4513d24/mencoder.html

why do you put a certan version to a filesharing site instead of linking its home page? :blink:

http://mplayerhq.hu is the official page, you can download even windows binaries

Last edited by a moderator:
dogeymon said:
Also, I thought Wiz played MPEG4 videos. All my clips I originally was playing on my Sony PSP won't show up in the "movie" folder on my Wiz. And I know that's the right place to put the videos because I see the .AVI files there. Aren't .mp4 and MPEG4 the same thing?

I haven't had any luck getting the Wiz to play mpeg4 files, without first wrapping them in AVI.

I only ever used it for ripping DVDs, but I believe Handbrake can do what you want on OS X, and is free as well.

edit: Checked the site, the newest version of Handbrake can do more than DVDs so yeah it should do everything you want. Guess I should update mine!

DurTahar said:
I only ever used it for ripping DVDs, but I believe Handbrake can do what you want on OS X, and is free as well.

edit: Checked the site, the newest version of Handbrake can do more than DVDs so yeah it should do everything you want. Guess I should update mine!

I've been using handbrake to convert videos on Windows Vista, and it runs extremely well. Thanks to it being multithreaded, it also runs pretty fast on here (Averaging 180fps on my dual core 2.4ghz pentium)

i still can't get them to show up in the folder.
i convert them to to mpeg4(mp4)
what am i doing wrong?

Audi said:
what am i doing wrong?

As I said in my last post, I wasn't able to view my MP4s until I wrapped them in AVI.

Also, if you're trying to view them through the Wiz's "Entertainment" menu item, they need to be in a folder called "movie" (note, no 's').

Promised Planet said:
Audi said:

what am i doing wrong?

As I said in my last post, I wasn't able to view my MP4s until I wrapped them in AVI.

Also, if you're trying to view them through the Wiz's "Entertainment" menu item, they need to be in a folder called "movie" (note, no 's').

Ok sorry mate, they are in the right folder. buti don't know how to wrap them in avi
??
could you please let me know!!

thanks

Audi said:
Promised Planet said:
Audi said:

what am i doing wrong?

Ok sorry mate, they are in the right folder. buti don't know how to wrap them in avi
??
could you please let me know!!

thanks

I use a tool called VDownloader. I'm sure there are other tools that'll do the same thing.

so aswell as having a program to convert the original divx movie i need a program to "wrap" the converted file in "AVI"???
This sounds all to hard.

Audi said:
so aswell as having a program to convert the original divx movie i need a program to "wrap" the converted file in "AVI"???
This sounds all to hard.

I'm sure there's a tool that'll do both. Give your mouse button fingers a little bit of exercise, the software will do the bulk of the work for you.

I use this command with mencoder and it produces good results.
Code:
mencoder foo -ofps 23.976 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=400 -vf scale=320:-10,expand=320:240 -o new_foo.avi

Back