Is There A New Pandora

I think in a netbooks case it would be better to have the controller detachable since you can't support the weight of the device while you play. Having them attached like that is pointless. If anything you would have to put them up at the top, next to the hinge, but on a netbook that has a track pad that wouldn't work because the controls take up too much space.

What about this?

http://weather-dimensions.com/tedkaehler/us/ted/xo-with-labels.jpg

It's the only netbook like device I've ever seen that has gaming controls, although they're only accessible in "tablet mode." Actually, the fact that such a cheap device has a tablet mode is pretty cool in and of itself.

I got to hold one once but I never got to actually play games on it. So I can't say for sure how well it works out. Sadly these aren't all that powerful, despite being x86.. but they could probably still run the same level of stuff that a Wiz could. Good luck getting one though.

Exophase said:
What about this?

http://weather-dimensions.com/tedkaehler/us/ted/xo-with-labels.jpg

It's the only netbook like device I've ever seen that has gaming controls, although they're only accessible in "tablet mode." Actually, the fact that such a cheap device has a tablet mode is pretty cool in and of itself.

I got to hold one once but I never got to actually play games on it. So I can't say for sure how well it works out. Sadly these aren't all that powerful, despite being x86.. but they could probably still run the same level of stuff that a Wiz could. Good luck getting one though.

Hey that's the 'one laptop per child' lappy, designed for school kids in developing countries. I thought these were really cool.

Core electronics
CPU: x86-compatible processor with 64KB each L1 I and D cache; at least 128KB L2 cache; AMD Geode LX-700@0.8W (datasheet);
CPU clock speed: 433 Mhz;
ISA compatibility: Support for both the MMX and 3DNow! x86 instruction-set extensions; Athlon instruction set (including MMX and 3DNow! Enhanced) with additional Geode-specific instructions;
Companion chips: PCI and memory interface integrated with CPU; North Bridge: PCI and Memory Interface integrated with Geode CPU; AMD CS5536 South Bridge (datasheet);
Graphics controller: Integrated with Geode CPU; unified memory architecture;
Embedded controller: ENE KB3700 or ENE KB3700B;
DRAM memory: 256 MiB dynamic RAM;
Data rate: Dual — DDR333 — 166 Mhz;
1024KB SPI-interface flash ROM;
Mass storage: 1024 MiB SLC NAND flash, high-speed flash controller;
Drives: No rotating media;
CAFE ASIC (Camera, Flash Enabler chip, provides high-performance Camera, NAND FLASH and SD interfaces); Marvell 88ALP01: (CAFE specification).

You're right about getting hold of one though, I think the only way would be to fly to Mozambique and try to convince one of the kids to swap it for a psp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never realized they were so desireable. A while back, my company was doing a charity drive and had a buy-1-get-1 program. Can't remember the price, but it was easily a couple hundred (Canadian), considering you were in fact buying two.

I was actually considering one (OLPC), when my ear was tickled by rumours of a different, new, ARM based device that there were talks about. That was coming out "soon". Two years later... :(

You're all so dumb. I built this pandora and it rocks!
pandorakiller.png

Attachments

• pandorakiller.png
    pandorakiller.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 61
Only ET has hands that can handle the shoulder buttons and D-Pad at the same time though.

Asmo said:
Only ET has hands that can handle the shoulder buttons and D-Pad at the same time though.

The "shoulder buttons" are underneath it. You use the mouse buttons as start and select. There's no analogue regrettably

wait so the little starvin marvins in africa have mini laptops that are made for running illegal roms? i guess somebody really is trying to teach them to fish and program for them

wow I want one of those NOW! better cancel my Pandora order. Who needs a Pandora anyway? It doesn't even have an action button

jeff

-God Ginrai

Sugar_Kane said:
Exophase said:
What about this?

http://weather-dimen...with-labels.jpg

Hey that's the 'one laptop per child' lappy, designed for school kids in developing countries. I thought these were really cool.

Core electronics
CPU: x86-compatible processor with 64KB each L1 I and D cache; at least 128KB L2 cache; AMD Geode LX-700@0.8W (datasheet);
CPU clock speed: 433 Mhz;
ISA compatibility: Support for both the MMX and 3DNow! x86 instruction-set extensions; Athlon instruction set (including MMX and 3DNow! Enhanced) with additional Geode-specific instructions;
Companion chips: PCI and memory interface integrated with CPU; North Bridge: PCI and Memory Interface integrated with Geode CPU; AMD CS5536 South Bridge (datasheet);
Graphics controller: Integrated with Geode CPU; unified memory architecture;
Embedded controller: ENE KB3700 or ENE KB3700B;
DRAM memory: 256 MiB dynamic RAM;
Data rate: Dual — DDR333 — 166 Mhz;
1024KB SPI-interface flash ROM;
Mass storage: 1024 MiB SLC NAND flash, high-speed flash controller;
Drives: No rotating media;
CAFE ASIC (Camera, Flash Enabler chip, provides high-performance Camera, NAND FLASH and SD interfaces); Marvell 88ALP01: (CAFE specification).

You're right about getting hold of one though, I think the only way would be to fly to Mozambique and try to convince one of the kids to swap it for a psp.
Think the current exchange rate is a goat and two chickens, one of the reasons behind them is there's no place to charge a psp or anything else there, note the hand crank used to power it.

Xian Long said:
there is indeed a new pandora.

compootor-1.jpg

edit: note the fact that it plays WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Force feeding the design team horse tranquilisers seems to have paid off. They've come up with a system that you can still use the gaming controls on when it's closed - and with Zhasha's rear mounted shoulder buttons you can use your knees to strafe.

Attachments

• compootor-1.jpg
    compootor-1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 46
Back