Is The Sgx Sdk Mandatory To Use Opengl Es ?

wahnby

Still Fresh
Hello,

To compile programs that use OpenGL ES on the pandora, do I need to install the SGX SDK on my PC or is it possible to use only libs and headers from pandora FS?

I ask this question because I don't want to install proprietary things on my PC.

Its required (I think).
First of all you probably want to use the ES Emulator which is provided in the SDK by ImgTec and besides that you require the files by TI to compile your OpenGL ES programs for ARM. I doubt the Pandora will have those files in the OS as they are only useful to developers.
Might I ask which toolchain (or compiler) you use? G++ Lite is also proprietary and its the only recommended toolchain out there afaIk.

This is why I think a compiler should be on board. Its not *that* much more space, and its definitely useful in that it means that anyone wanting to create a 3D game can do so, right away, without having to install anything else ..

Something to consider: the Touchbook OS is shipping with a compiler onboard, as well as all 3D libs and headers too, and in the next TBOS release there will be full sources for a 3D game included. So lets see if there will be more 3D games being made for the TBOS in the near future, then ..

I'm wonderhing how (and if) they got the permission for this... And even if you get it: it doesn't have to be on board when the Pandora is shipping - you can always manually get it later if you need it.

JayFoxRox said:
Might I ask which toolchain (or compiler) you use? G++ Lite is also proprietary and its the only recommended toolchain out there afaIk.

I don't own a pandora by now so I do not compile anything. It's a cool device but I will probably not buy one if proprietary tools are mandatory. Thanks for answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
Just curious, but why does it have to be non-proprietary? What makes something proprietary?
Maybe he meant that he doesn't want to use closed-source tools.

I was thinking you could compile ES stuff on the Pandora or on a PC, as long as you have the right headers, and it would dynamically link to the Pandora's ES library. Is there something in the SDK we really need besides the emulator? I could do without that, as I really don't care for SDKs, I just want it to work.

On the Touchbook, it just uses normal gcc, and the headers for the GLES development kits are included in the base OS. Its very convenient to have everything onboard that you need to compile something, but I'm not sure if AI have been granted permission to distribute the GLES headers .. will have to check it out later tonight and find out for sure.

lulzfish said:
MDave said:
Just curious, but why does it have to be non-proprietary? What makes something proprietary?

I was thinking you could compile ES stuff on the Pandora or on a PC, as long as you have the right headers, and it would dynamically link to the Pandora's ES library. Is there something in the SDK we really need besides the emulator? I could do without that, as I really don't care for SDKs, I just want it to work.
You obviously need some kind of libGLES[v2].so to actually cross-compile your program; just having the headers will make ld complain.

But I think that, for testing purposes (aka for making applications that don't work on the Pandora but only on a PC... duh), you should be able to just use libGL.so ("gcc -lGL"), provided that you only use the subset API of GL2.0 and GLES2.0. Render target initialization will work differently on the Pandora so you won't be able to test e.g. EGL but the rest should work (Now awaiting Exophase's "Well, actually, ..." response ;))

wahnby said:
lulzfish said:

Exactly ;)
proprietary != non-open-source
And yeah I find this annoying too, but the issue isn't that you *have* to use proprietary tools; it's that using proprietary tools will make your life so much easier.

Using the POWERVR SDK is not a requirement for developing OpenGL ES applications for Pandora. You could get the OpenGL ES and EGL headers from the Khronos Registry, and link against the libraries that ship with Pandora.

However, even if you don't want to use the SDK please make sure you read the
development recommendations.

Back