Is the GP32 Screen in the FLU Version darker?

:ph34r: i have flu..
my screens to dark..unless i put the backlight on...
even so.....i love my gp32...
it's taking over my life...
help me!!!

I would expect it to be darker because it has a frontlight on it which is bound to absorb some of the light given out by the screen

The frontlight is partially reflective on the inside, like a one-way mirror. It's VERY partially, but if it wasn't at least a little reflective, it wouldn't really work. I think this screws with the reflection of ambient light off the LCD when playing without the frontlight turned on.

I'm not an optics expert, but this is the only reason I can think of that everybody with an FLU says "How can you possibly use a GP32 without a FLU?!?" I have a non-FLU, and it works just fine for me. The only time I really had a problem with light was when I was playing outside AFTER sunset. The screen is much easier to see than my GBA in any conditions.

no, i have a flu at it works just fine without it. Its just if the lighting conditions start to get dim or if your in the car in the evening or sumthin then the light is v. useful and worth the cash, in my opinion

The screens on the FLU versions are definitely darker. I went through two of them before switching to a regular unit due to all the dust problems. The regular unit is much more viewable than an FLU with the light off.

The FLU layer is very thin and and have small ribs that catches the light and reflects the Leds light that comes from the side down on the LCD. So Light comming from above is partially reflected to the sides, towards the LEDs. So in daylight with an FLU you lose some light. You cant compare a FLU GP with FLU turned off with a GP whithout FLU. I have tried both. I personally would still go for the one with FLU. The FLU layer also since it is horizontally ribbed gives a bit more horizontal contrast. I to think the GP's screen is alot better then the Gameboy Advance, but this is just my personall opinion.
Tobias

Back