Is Sony Biting Back?

:eek:

Bloody hell. I didn't realize programs might actually vanquish the console system itself! I'll be careful next time I download something for the gp32_console ; thank you for the heads-up, seriously.. :unsure:

Macbeth posted on Oct 7 2005 at 12:38 PM said:
:eek:

Bloody hell. I didn't realize programs might actually vanquish the console system itself! I'll be careful next time I download something for the gp32_console ; thank you for the heads-up, seriously.. :unsure:

its happened to the psp not gp32, it most probably wont ever happen to the gp32, only if a mad giz fan done it :p

also already read this in the other thread some time ago, but very sad indeed..

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed as I said in the other thread, Sony makes money off the games not destroying your hardware so you have to buy another one, and for them to be caught releasing a firmware killer would destroy their reputation. So it's simply not feasible that they'd be the ones to do it.

The PSP scene is filled with bad apples, it's not to far a stretch to assume one of them is responsible.

Yeah, Sony's not dumb enough to destroy their own products. If everyone's PSP is dead, who would buy the ludicrously expensive UMD movies?

Oh, or the one game released for it. ;) Ah, kidding. Game releases should pick up in the coming months.

kinda ironic for me, as im having issues with my ps2 now, and sony is making me pay for a repair. FUCK THEM

whats on my agenda tomorrow:

1. wake up
2. eat
3. call Sir Howard Stringer and beg for a free repair
4. curse at my ps2 when im refused

im actually very serious :(

What year is your PS2?

If the problem is the Disk read errors you have to make sure you state that first before anything since they know they're an issue. and they should run you through the whole diagnostic thing and give you the repair code... that is unless it's a modded system in which case "damn."

shinneri posted on Oct 8 2005 at 03:43 AM said:
Yeah, Sony's not dumb enough to destroy their own products. If everyone's PSP is dead...

Deleting files on PSP flash memory dont destroy the PSP, it just remove files needed for the boot sequence, and without a running OS you can't use own psp bios to rewrite OS files (firmware) to the flash memory. Then you must ask Sony for help.

Sony tech assistance have the means to write the flash memory via other device, and guess what kind of bytes they will write in there?

2.01 Firmware version !!!!

and they will charge for that.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 9 2005 at 12:08 AM said:
What year is your PS2?

If the problem is the Disk read errors you have to make sure you state that first before anything since they know they're an issue. and they should run you through the whole diagnostic thing and give you the repair code... that is unless it's a modded system in which case "damn."
called them 5 times already. I have grinding and chopping, and sometimes DREs. They refuse to touch it since it's 3 years after warrenty expiration, but i told them it IS a warrenty sticker. They said if it's not in tack (it's no :rolleyes: ), then I can basically go fuck myself.

im working on getting it repaired though. Could be for free. I have something up my sleeve :eek:

Fishbong posted on Oct 7 2005 at 03:26 PM said:
Erm, gp32rich, can you please tell me why SONY would do this?

I mean they are greedy, but that wouldn´t make any sense...
Yeah! What Johndifo said.

And if you get your fingers burned once will you go and try it again?
So their upgrades are safe, their machines are used for playing their games, they make money off their software.
Instead of folk wasting Sony's time on someone else's homebrew

Or Sony have you marked, so when you try it again you get an unflashable PSP v2+ returned :(

DGCM - Thats ridiculous my PS2 was 3 years old before I had to deal with the DRE problem, well outside of it's warrentee. I guess it just depends on which service rep you connect to because it took less than 5 minutes for him to issue me the repair code. Some of those guys can be real pricks.

Johndifo - Deleting those files does effectivley "destroy" the PSP because not only do you have to send it to sony to get the firmware replaced, thus risking getting 2.01'd but they WILL want money for it, likely more than the process is worth paying for. Bricked = U R t3h Fuxx0r'd H4H4HKTHNBAI!1!!1 unless you're willing to pay and lose your homebrew altogether. Sony would love to stop homebrew and get your money but to do it in such a "microsoftian" way would hurt their reputation with gamers the same way dropping virused MP3s into file sharing networks nearly harmed the music industry. (not that they actually did it, they changed their minds, realizing how bad that would be, and instead started seeding "empty" MP3s to foil downloaders.)

The class action lawsuit filed against them over their monopolistic practices would seem to dissagree with you.

Microsoft didn't get a bad reputation from just existing andSony didn't get a bad rep on hardware manufacturing the same way, you get busted for what you do bad and that sticks with you.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 10 2005 at 08:06 PM said:
Sony would love to stop homebrew and get your money but to do it in such a "microsoftian" way would hurt their reputation with gamers the same way dropping virused MP3s into file sharing networks nearly harmed the music industry. (not that they actually did it, they changed their minds, realizing how bad that would be, and instead started seeding "empty" MP3s to foil downloaders.)
Hmmm.

Call me paranoid (because I am) but could such a thing was released by an untraceable and clandestine Sony-backed group of babes-- HACKERS! I meant to say hackers and I haven't been watching too much SheSpies(tm) :blink: :D

I loved that show's first season. :lol:

The hacker community would blow the lid off that cladestined group instantly unless Sony kept them sealed in a secret bunker, 5 miles below ground in the middle of the Nevada desert.

Back