Is Snes Emulation Full Speed Now?

Deaths Shepherd

Still Fresh
Is snes emulation at full speed now, i watched a video on youtube and it was only about 10 FPS, but that was probably quite old.

Station said:
Is snes emulation at full speed now, i watched a video on youtube and it was only about 10 FPS, but that was probably quite old.
Depends on the game. You'll get 10FPS with Mario Kart, but nearly 60FPS with Chrono Trigger. Overclocking and switching off transparencies and sound are mandatory for most Mode7 games. Most 2D games and every RPG that I've tested are nearly fullspeed with sound, a bit of frameskip and no overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
but do not try FF6, witch is probably de most hard game to run [ about 10 to 5 FPS in battle :p ]

paxl13

paxl13 said:
but do not try FF6, witch is probably de most hard game to run [ about 10 to 5 FPS in battle :p ]

paxl13

Huh? I did play it in fullspeed without any problems with PocketSNES on my gp2x...?

Last edited:
Can't handle weird effects, like Megaman X3, first stage, when the searchlight is in the background. But neither can any other hand-held.

hmmm...not sure how you guys get such good speeds without overclock

I have to put my speed up to 260 with frameskip to get fullspeed with transparencies, while using all the hacks there available.

It's still very good. Most every game runs fullspeed, cept the games that don't run, like Kirby Super Star and Super Mario RPG.

This emulator is excellent compatibility wise, and if it ever runs at 200/210Mhz like it does at 260; there's little more you could ask for.

Unfortunately; my personal feeling is that it's amazing they've made it as fast as it is, and that future speed ups are unlikely. I truly hop I'm wrong!

man I thought we still on the issue of playability rather than fullspeed.

I can't get star ocean to run on either squidge or pocketsnes...

everything else I threw at em was cool except for TMNT 4 and contra 3. contra 3 is picky about sound, and TMNT 4 I dunno...

SquidgeSNES is very fast. I've played alot "Chaos Engine" at default Speed (200MHz)
But Games with transparencies need more boost. "Super Metroid" has heavy problems with SquidgeSNES. But the other Emulator PocketSNES is good for such games. You need heavy Overclocking to and ght game still has only arond 20 FPS but at least you can play it without Graphic issues. :) (But forget all the special moves that require millisecond timing - no way at the GP2X.)

taco1bell said:
i beat super metroid on my ds with fullspeed and with no problems. how fast can starfox play? starfox 2?
Those games won't work because the SA-1 has to be emulated for them to work, and that may never happen.

But, development has continued on PocketSNES because HeadOverHeels started working on it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 best snes emulators on gp2x one squidgesnes,pocket snes.

Squidgesnes doesn't play every game compatible on snes games it's not the best, still it's very good running games full speed with sound.

Pocketsnes has the best compatibility which plays more games than sqidgesnes and runs about 90% of games without overclocking, there were few games which didn't run fast so overclocking to 250 they run fast, definetely pocketsnes plays more games than suidgesnes emulator, most majority of time squidgesnes shows black screen on games like:

* Dragon the bruce lee story
* Killer instinct
* Super star wars
* Batman forever

Here are some games which don't work squidesnes and they work on pocketsnes.

Back