Is Play-asia.com A Safe Source For The Gp2x?

blakespot

Still Fresh
I normally do research into this kind of thing first, but I just impulse-bought a GP2X and some accessories (case, wrist strap, video cable, etc.) from Play-Asia.com. I know of a few people who use them.

They had all the items I ordered in stock, so says their website.

Was this a safe thing to have done? Thanks.

blakespot

Oh, and I live in the U.S.

blakespot

Besides the fact that your shipment can be stolen, yes it is safe.

However, I really hate it when people buy the GP2X from places that do not support the scene. I really wish people would stop buying from these cheap Chinese stores... it's more like supporting the people that pirate DVDs by buying DVDs from them, just not worth it.

Shikaku posted on Jul 18 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
Besides the fact that your shipment can be stolen, yes it is safe.

How's that?

Shikaku posted on Jul 18 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
However, I really hate it when people buy the GP2X from places that do not support the scene. I really wish people would stop buying from these cheap Chinese stores... it's more like supporting the people that pirate DVDs by buying DVDs from them, just not worth it.

I am completely new to the scene here. Did not have a feel for what was what as yet, on order. Hopefully will go smoothly. I assume Play-Asia.com, despite not supporting the scene, will ship a new, unopened unit the same as the suggested retailer would. I assume this isn't a Japanese version of the unit, different from what I would have gotten elsewhere or something?

Now I know, for next time.

blakespot

Last edited by a moderator:
i honestly don't know anything about play-asia supporting the scene or not, i think the money still goes to gamepark holdings. i chose play-asia because the price was right and they had all the accessories i wanted as well, and my experience with them was fantastic. i ordered a gp2x from play-asia.com around 10pm on a monday night, and it arrived in california at 9am wednesday morning. that's service that will get my dollar any day.

jeremy posted on Jul 18 2006 at 11:38 PM said:
i honestly don't know anything about play-asia supporting the scene or not, i think the money still goes to gamepark holdings. i chose play-asia because the price was right and they had all the accessories i wanted as well, and my experience with them was fantastic. i ordered a gp2x from play-asia.com around 10pm on a monday night, and it arrived in california at 9am wednesday morning. that's service that will get my dollar any day.
So you feel it was a brand new, unopened unit from Play-Asia? (I just ordered from them.)

Thanks.

blakespot

blakespot posted on Jul 18 2006 at 09:20 PM said:
So you feel it was a brand new, unopened unit from Play-Asia? (I just ordered from them.)

Thanks.

blakespot

Yes, if you look on the gamepark holdings website, play-asia.com is one of their official resellers for asia. everything was in unopened, brand-new condition.

Doesn't craig open them to do testing in the UK?

Does that mean unopened units are a bad thing?

I've ordered a few things from Play Asia over the years, they've always been quite good. That said, for a GP2X, I would prefer to go to a "local" distributer (GP2X.co.uk, GP32Z, ED) -- I was very glad that GP2X.net.au opened up for Aussies :)

But as to your questions, yes, it'll be brand new and unopened, you should have nothing to worry about.

At the time of purchase, I wasn't aware of distributors like EvilDragon and Craigix. Had I been, I might've gotten the machine from them. I only signed up here after I'd ordered mine from Lik-Sang. With my tight economy as of late, I can't say it was a bad decision, as they managed to slip it through customs as well, which saved me 45$.

I bought my unit from Play-Asia. They're pretty reputable, kind of like an alternative to Lik-Sang. The delivery comes in a pretty beat-up UPS package but Lik-Sang puts the GP2X in another box surrounded by packaging peanuts. In fact, I had a really hard time opening that box because it had so much packaging tape on it. All the other accessories are scattered around but those aren't prone to damage from handling. They even throw in a small bag of candy for you to eat (when I bought my GP32 from them, I had some suspicions about why it was included), and they're perfectly safe to eat :).

I ordered my gp32 from play asia, it was fast and cheap for the US..I got it in like 4-5 days on cheap shipping. I reccomend it.

Yes, it's safe ordering from any of the official distributors on the list, don't worry :)

What people mean with buying from local shops because they support the scene instead of large shops:
Yes, large shops are cheaper. Firstly, because they buy in large quantities, secondly because have lower taxes, etc. like, for example, me in Germany.

But on the other side: Local shops (like craigs, mine or JR2Swiss (gp32z.com)) do support the community - by donating to devs, giving support to questions, I do newsposting and offer the free gp2x File Archive.
That all does cost money - and the large shops don't care about this.

That's the reason why most people want you to buy from the local shops.
But don't worry, nobody will hate you because you ordered from PlayAsia, and you can use your gp2x, these boards, the File Archive, etc. for free like anybody else :)

Ordered the lot from Play-Asia yesterday afternoon. Just got message that it all shipped out, just now. A little over 12 hours. Not bad.

blakespot

Reseller Ratings

Yes, they're a perfect source for the GP2X. They're an incredibly reputable source with an outstanding reputation in import goods. For newcomers I'd whole-heartedly recommend them as price is usually a big concern for this kind of handheld. Of course, they aren't as directly involved in supporting the scene as other local businesses, but they were a sponsor for this website for QUITE a long time (Mainly during the GP32 period).

blakespot posted on Jul 18 2006 at 07:57 PM said:
I normally do research into this kind of thing first, but I just impulse-bought a GP2X and some accessories (case, wrist strap, video cable, etc.) from Play-Asia.com. I know of a few people who use them.

They had all the items I ordered in stock, so says their website.

Was this a safe thing to have done? Thanks.
Good job doing your homework, Play-Asia is indeed the cheapest (and in the US the fastest) way to get a GP2X.

I don't know what Shikaku's problem is, plenty of people don't know about Play-Asia and are still loyal to a local shop if they do know.

I got mine in 3 days (unbelievable) and it is just fine, with the TV cable and the fast UPS shippng it was only $205 total.

I live in the US and this place was weeks faster than gp32z.com (they seem to be understaffed or something), despite me living in Northern CA and them being in Southern CA.

Just don't forget to get an A-Data SD card from Newegg.com, it is the cheapest on the net, and consistently (I got a $51 150x 2GB, now they are only $47 with shipping, wow).

I had to order my BoB from play-asia because GP32z wouldn't take my credit card and didn't return my emails promptly.

Wow.

I started this thread, indicating that I'd ordered a GP2X and accesories from Play-Asia on Tuesday - early afternoon. It was delivered here late this morning - less than 48 hrs from Hong Kong to Washington DC area with standard shipping!!

Got here sooner than I expected, so now I await charging NiMHs before digging in. All looks in perfect condition, as well. They even included some asian candy in the package. :) Bravo Play-Asia!

blakespot

Back