Is It Possible To Use Skype On Pandora?

jiuzhege

Still Fresh
due to the linux system?

and even have a video chat through usb cam?

thx....

N_2 said:
due to the linux system?

thx....
I'm so glad you asked, I'm pretty sure no one has talked about this before, and I know for a fact, you could never find it with a simple search!

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx said:
I'm so glad you asked, I'm pretty sure no one has talked about this before, and I know for a fact, you could never find it with a simple search!
We HAVE talked about it before, and what has been said so far is that we'll have two options:
1. Use the Android version if there is one (I don't wanna check, too lazy)
2. Use the Nokia N900 version which should run out-of-the-box, but be illegal to use due to licensing or something.

N_2 said:
due to the linux system?

thx....

Not until a port of Skype exists for the ARM processor (let alone Linux). Please refer to this thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49320-lifecasting-from-the-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__751141 and ensuing discussion.

Time to close this one.

dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
We HAVE talked about it before, and what has been said so far is that we'll have two options:
2. Use the Nokia N900 version which should run out-of-the-box, but be illegal to use due to licensing or something.
I'm pretty sure the previous quote was intended to be sarcastic...

dflemstr said:

That's even more ahead of the curve than I thought it was. Promising.

PokeParadox said:
dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
I'm pretty sure the previous quote was intended to be sarcastic...
Thank you :)

The search jib was meant to make it obvious ;)

(unless dflemstr was being sarcastic too, and fuck, i have no idea what is going on)

(naw)mcx said:
Thank you :)

The search jib was meant to make it obvious ;)

(unless dflemstr was being sarcastic too, and fuck, i have no idea what is going on)
Me? Sarcastic? I would never! Not even once in a blue moon!

Or, well, there are actually a few valid scenarios:
1. I just hit the Quote button instead of the Reply button by mistake
2. I honestly thought you were serious
3. I was being sarcastic as well
4. I wrote my post just to confuse you
5. I just made a post without thinking about it, imagining that everyone would just read it without commenting on it.

The mystery thickens...

You could always grab Skype off some Nokia tablet firmware.
Else, you will have to use some third party Skype client (IDK if one is available).

Not a chance? You're kidding, right?
I just remembered have a third party skype client on my cell phone (fring) and it's open source...

Etinin said:
Not a chance? You're kidding, right?
I just remembered have a third party skype client on my cell phone (fring) and it's open source...
Do they have a licensing deal with Skype? Because all the research I have done shows that the Skype protocol is a well-kept secret, not because of encryption or something, but because of very strict patents and good lawyers.

keaft said:
lol... an alternative would be pidgin. I hear they are starting to add video chat to it. Maybe we should include the libraries necessary on the pandora. Just sayin...
Telepathy would be the more general option. Then you would't have to use Pidgin to make a call, and you can communicate with pretty much anything in the world (MSN, ICQ, GTalk, you name it)

But I think that the reason why people want Skype is that everyone else already has Skype, so it makes sense to use that since it's kinda difficult to convert all of your friends to another client.

Etinin said:
You could always grab Skype off some Nokia tablet firmware.

Skype is not in the firmware. The firmware comes with an "install skype" menu option that runs apt-get and installs skype from a Nokia (password protected) repository.

Note that this skype binary is hildonized, so you will need a lot of the tablet's OS to get it to work. I guess the best chance is Mer on Pandora.

sverm said:
N_2 said:
due to the linux system?

thx....

Not until a port of Skype exists for the ARM processor (let alone Linux). Please refer to this thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49320-lifecasting-from-the-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__751141 and ensuing discussion.

Time to close this one.

I bolded this because there IS Skype running on Linux. I'm running it on Ubuntu as we speak! ...er, I mean, type.
Just go to skype.com, click on the download tab, and look to the right side of the screen. Linux is there. Version 2.1. It IS technically a 'Beta' release, but it workes perfectly fine on my laptop. :)

marshal said:
HealyHQ:

The version your referring to is for X86, totally irrelevant for the Pandora.

Well. that means the software on desktop linus is not usable on pandora?

I really want my pandora(if i have chance..) to do something else especially some daily applications as the pc..

for example.....chat through wifi.... :eek:

N_2 said:
marshal said:
HealyHQ:

The version your referring to is for X86, totally irrelevant for the Pandora.

Well. that means the software on desktop linus is not usable on pandora?

I really want my pandora(if i have chance..) to do something else especially some daily applications as the pc..

for example.....chat through wifi.... :eek:
For the most part, this only applies to proprietary applications. Most Linux software is free, with the source code available, and so compiling and running it on the Pandora is possible.
Skype is both closed-source and proprietary, so unless the company releases an official port to Pandora (extremely unlikely), it will not be usable.

Back