is it possible to recalibrate the battery indicator?

The current you're looking for is 80,000. Might not actually go that low depending on what's being used, that 180,000 should be close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of the battery indicator, is there any way to make it not take as long for it to notice that its not being charged/is being charged?

I have discovered a shortcut to battery calibration. Charge the battery to full. The battery is full when the voltage_now reads around 420000 (give or take) and the current_now reads about 80'000 (although anything under 160'000 is close enough). If you wait long enough, the charge LED should shut itself off. Depending on how confused the chip is, this could be shortly after reaching 100% or it might take a couple more hours to completely "top-off" the battery. In any event, once you've got the battery really totally full, shut down and pull out the battery. Wait a couple minutes and then put the battery back. The BQ chip automatically recalibrates based on the voltage and some chemical properties of the battery and should properly measure a full battery which will discharge at the originally calculated rate.

edit: scratch that. After 24 hours of use it is apparent that my BQ chip is not recalibrated, it simply changed where "full" was. I was able to keep playing for nearly 2 hours after it had already reached 0% (battery wasn't anywhere near 3.0V) and recharging it it's reached 100% and just keeps on going (still sucking down power like something that sucks a whole lot).

So nevermind, no shortcuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery was giving wonky readouts (had charged to 100% on first use, let it sit for a day, went to 0% (idle+standby all day, what?), unplugged the battery without charging -- another readout 14%, then 5 minutes later the Pandora shut itself off).

I was getting a large number (somewhere near 120% over capacity readings for a while) and other unknown variables on status (System Information thinks the battery is only 90% full, another time it said 100% when it /was/ only at 90%, sometimes it doesn't even know).  Voltage and current are correct, however.

The charge turns off at ~4.195V (battery doesn't get exactly 4.2V, tried pulling the charger a couple times, powered off/on, to see if it was an OS thing - so this should be good enough to set max charge calibration), current about ~50mA before cutoff (decided to not boot to OS to squeeze extra charge in there, though it's only saving by 0.01~0.02V).  Unplugged within 5 seconds of charger being cut.

Crossed fingers that System Information will be reporting the correct values now from proper 100% now.  Kinda a pain that the battery has to be recalibrate new, but oh well, that's about the only small issue I've had thus far with said device.  B)
If your battery gauge chip is miscalibrated, you can always disable the automatic shut down (because it will be annoying) and judge yourself roughly how much charge you have left: as long as the voltage is above ~3.5V, you're still fine, if it drops below ~3.3V you should probably shut down manually (although I don't think it causes much harm if you just let it die while being idle).

Back