Is It Possible To Port Windows Ce Now ?

Ouch, A diagram in that article says that it's 3.9 million lines of code. It would be a bitch to port and not worth it im guessing, but I don't code (at least not yet).

That's quite big news. I know the hardware has windows mobile support. Not sure how well it would work for 2006...

I remember windows mobile being ported to the GP32. But it's illigle without licence.

We'll have to read the shared source licence and see what our obligations would be...

Even if it's possible. Drivers would need to be rewritten for it to work.

I believe firefly used Platform Builder to get it running on the GP32:

http://users.skynet.be/firefly/gp32/projec...wince/index.htm

Someone could have tried something similar on the GP2X already if they had PB.

As icurafu hinted at, MagicEyes offer WinCE BSPs.

Having spent quite a lot of time messing around with the Gizmondo, I can't think of anything I'd like to run on a WinCE device that I can't already run on the GP2X with Linux.

I spend a lot of time using the PPC for gaming... the only software I would want is XCOM and warcraft 2 (with mouse support).

There are also a few comercial games that would be fun with proper controls. But it would be a waste with only a few benefits, for programs that could already be ported if to GP2X with the developers approval.

I believe firefly used Platform Builder to get it running on the GP32:

http://users.skynet.be/firefly/gp32/projec...wince/index.htm

Someone could have tried something similar on the GP2X already if they had PB.

As icurafu hinted at, MagicEyes offer WinCE BSPs.

Having spent quite a lot of time messing around with the Gizmondo, I can't think of anything I'd like to run on a WinCE device that I can't already run on the GP2X with Linux.
yes he did, kinda cool :).

Im wondering, why is microsoft giving away the source, they have never done that... :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im wondering, why is microsoft giving away the source, they have never done that... :huh:
They're presumably doing it because people that ship devices with embedded operating systems like to know what the OS is actually doing, and customise its behaviour for their application.

This is a direct attack on the position that Linux has gained in the market.

Microsoft allows the device vendor to customise their OS and debug it more easily, with the important competitive advantage that they won't have to reveal any proprietary changes to competitors (no GPL).

I note that the redistribution of changed OS binaries is only allowed with the Premium Redistribution license. That should help the big boys, but not small companies, who they presumably aren't too bothered about anyway.

IMHO, as someone who worked in COTS embedded systems for several years, it's a very sensible move for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it has been ported to the GP2X already, but the author doesn't want to release it.

Back