Windows Ce 5.0

I found this

http://www.itechnews.net/tag/magiceye-pollux/

And I am wondering if it already has been ported would it be possible to adopt the port changing only a few things like the screen resolution , controlls and use it on the Wiz ?? The only problems I see is the 128 MB of RAM and the need of microsoft premission ( maybe soe code from the company that made this GPS :S :S ) . And the awsome things we would get is : - real time OS
- possiblity of installing t the same OS on the PC and the Wiz.

:( :( Big dreams :) :)

but any way few questiones :
What do You think about it ??
The rumors about the bigger RAM are over ( They won't do it due to possible incompatibility of the devices ?? ) ??

I know there was a post about emulating windows CE on the Wiz but this is more about the possiblity of making it the second OS rather that emulating it .

Sorry for any spelling mistakes in this post ( I have installed a new browser ( Google Chrome ) and still didn't try to make auto-correct work properly

WinCE 5 already runs on the Pollux, so no porting needed. You will need a license for each copy you let people download to use on there Wiz's however, and that isn't cheap unless you buy in bulk (not going to happen).

Secondly, the Wiz already runs a real time OS (Linux), so theres no gains there.

Running WinCE on the PC is not possible except via emulation, as WinCE is arm-based.

Some apps would be incompatible due to Intel XScale being the dominant processor for WinCE platforms (instruction set extensions)

Thanks for the replay and that means that I have some fake info form wikipedia sorry :( :(

From Wikipedia:

"Windows CE (also known officially as Windows Embedded Compact post version 6.0 [2][3], and sometimes abbreviated WinCE) is an operating system developed by Microsoft for minimalistic computers and embedded systems. Windows CE is a distinctly different operating system and kernel, rather than a trimmed-down version of desktop Windows. It is not to be confused with Windows XP Embedded which is NT-based. Windows CE is supported on Intel x86 and compatibles, MIPS, ARM, and Hitachi SuperH processors."

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'll try again.

You were talking about WinCE on both the Wiz and PC. The Wiz uses ARM, your PC uses x86. So you can not run the same applications under both unless you use software emulation. The dominant PocketPC market also uses ARM, so you can't use the bulk of those applications on x86 either.

So since you need different executables for both Wiz and PC environment, why bother with WinCE? Its quite easy to have an app that works under Windows and Wiz with just a recompile (Try SDL). The main problems you have (typically performance related compared to PC) will be there regardless of whether you use Linux or WinCE.

And how is that on-topic? This is the Wiz section, not the "Netbooks" section.

But then again, at a price of:¥0, I'll take two!

Squidge said:
And how is that on-topic? This is the Wiz section, not the "Netbooks" section.

But then again, at a price of:¥0, I'll take two!

You don't think a post about a Pollux netbook running WinCE in a thread about running WinCE on Wiz is on topic? Obviously it's to show that it has been ported to the SoC and is actually running in something.

That netbook looks like a joke though, as far as netbooks go. Anyone see this?

"Battery: Lithium Battery, 2100mAH, (about 2.5 hours normal use)"

How is that even possible, that it'd get such worse battery life than the Wiz? With "normal" use at that, not 100% CPU. Is it all the screen's fault or did they just botch the design somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, doesn't meant to be off-topic. Just wanted to show an Pollux based device running CE.
Btw the price is around 100$ at single quantities :huh: ...

And to be on-topic :

Some (all?) of the WIZ Linux drivers are ported from the Pollux CE BSP. Just grep for "wincetype.h" in the WIZ kernel sources.
But do you think CE would be anyhow useful on the WIZ?
As Squidge said, many applications (especially games) are tuned towards Xscale and are incompatible with the WIZ processor.
So I see no reason for getting CE on a portable game console equipped with a processor other than Xscale.

Exophase said:
You don't think a post about a Pollux netbook running WinCE in a thread about running WinCE on Wiz is on topic? Obviously it's to show that it has been ported to the SoC and is actually running in something.
Not really, It's like posting a thread in the Pandora section about Odroid just because it uses an OMAP processor.

There was no porting to do, the Pollux had WinCE all built and tested before any of the code was ported to the Linux environment for devices such as the Wiz. If you really wanted to see WinCE up and running on the Pollux then theres the dev board and a plentyful supply of Satellite navigation devices (For some reason, Magiceyes keep sending me emails telling me the Pollux 3D hardware is ideal for drawing 3D streetmaps along with photographs of such devices).

Squidge said:
Not really, It's like posting a thread in the Pandora section about Odroid just because it uses an OMAP processor.

I think your analogy is bad even before considering that Odroid doesn't use an OMAP processor ;P I don't really feel like explaining why anymore though..

Squidge said:
There was no porting to do, the Pollux had WinCE all built and tested before any of the code was ported to the Linux environment for devices such as the Wiz. If you really wanted to see WinCE up and running on the Pollux then theres the dev board and a plentyful supply of Satellite navigation devices (For some reason, Magiceyes keep sending me emails telling me the Pollux 3D hardware is ideal for drawing 3D streetmaps along with photographs of such devices).

None of these things are evident to anyone else. Sure, I can take your word that Magic Eyes ported WinCE, but until I see it running in a device I won't have a lot of faith that it actually works correctly. I've never heard of these other devices and I'm sure no one else here has either, but yes, they would have been good examples too.

My bad, of course the odroid doesn't use OMAP. I got it confused. But if it did... ;) (Yeah, I know, I know...)

Back