Pandora Is it possible to install a .pnd on nand ?

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
I mean ie. putting a .pnd somewhere in a *pandora/desktop folder on nand, and voilà, the icon appears on the desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having checked the sources (but unable to test on a Pandora), it looks like, by default, you can put PND files in /usr/pandora/apps and they will show up in the menu (but not the desktop). If you want to change that, you can edit /etc/pandora/conf/apps to add another searchpath, and /etc/pandora/conf/desktop to set whether it shows up on menu or desktop (or both).

This also sounds pretty useful for those who have installed their OS to SD, and want to use the rest of the huge amounts of space on apps :)

Thanks for the info! Bookmarked :)

yeah, personally I thik everyone shoudl spelunk the conf files .. I put _Everything_ into conf files, so you can go nuts :) More to point .. you can override a lot of conf settings by dropping conf files onto SD .. the system checks SD first, and then fails back to NAND. So you can modify conf files by using SD, and if everythign is mucked up, just eject the SD and all good :)

I should make a 'searchpath edit' settings thing, so people can specify alternate searchpaths without conf hacking, but another day.,. :)

jeff

yeah, personally I thik everyone shoudl spelunk the conf files .. I put _Everything_ into conf files, so you can go nuts :) More to point .. you can override a lot of conf settings by dropping conf files onto SD .. the system checks SD first, and then fails back to NAND. So you can modify conf files by using SD, and if everythign is mucked up, just eject the SD and all good :)

I should make a 'searchpath edit' settings thing, so people can specify alternate searchpaths without conf hacking, but another day.,. :)

jeff

What are your all-time favorite config files ? ^^

Having checked the sources (but unable to test on a Pandora), it looks like, by default, you can put PND files in /usr/pandora/apps and they will show up in the menu (but not the desktop). If you want to change that, you can edit /etc/pandora/conf/apps to add another searchpath, and /etc/pandora/conf/desktop to set whether it shows up on menu or desktop (or both).

I tried to place truecrypt and gparted on the pandora in the /usr/pandora/apps folder but it wont let me copy anything into there. I would assume you would want truecrypt and gparted on the pandora NAND as opposed to the SD since it seems impractical to have them directly on the SD if they are on the media that is going to be formatted/ encrypted

at the terminal, sudo cp <filename> <folder> should work

Thanks.. Does this have something to do with needing administrative rights since the command includes a sudo? I'm guessing then that you are not given such rights to "drag and drop" through the GUI? Also I still cannot get them to execute despite having them in that folder- I'm assuming there is a command for that to but there doesn't seem to be a complete list of terminal commands... All I found was this: http://pandorawiki.org/Basic_Linux_Guide but that doesn't have any information on terminal execution of pnd's (assuming that that is what I need to be able to do to get it to run)

Does this have something to do with needing administrative rights since the command includes a sudo? I'm guessing then that you are not given such rights to "drag and drop" through the GUI?
On an Unix System all system files are usually read only for all non-root users, leaving only the user's home directory as well as /tmp and possibly other additionally mounted partitions writable, because the system itself is a holy place no user shall be able to mess up. If you need a GUI for entering root's land, just start the file manager of your choice as root, but it's better to use the GUI variant of sudo (should be gksudo for XFCE I think) for GUI programs as it handle the home directory slightly different.

i put pndmanager.pnd in

Code:
/usr/pandora/apps

but it wont show up in the menu, even tho the path is set in

Code:
/etc/pandora/conf/apps

AND

/etc/pandora/conf/desktop

im running super zaxxon 1.51. was this procedure changed somehow?

Should work.

I myself put the cpu stress test .pnd in it some days ago.

yeah, personally I thik everyone shoudl spelunk the conf files .. I put _Everything_ into conf files, so you can go nuts
smile.gif
More to point .. you can override a lot of conf settings by dropping conf files onto SD .. the system checks SD first, and then fails back to NAND. So you can modify conf files by using SD, and if everythign is mucked up, just eject the SD and all good
smile.gif

I should make a 'searchpath edit' settings thing, so people can specify alternate searchpaths without conf hacking, but another day.,.
smile.gif

jeff

Can you explain how to write a conf file for the SD card? any example you can share?

right, im an idiot.

had a typo /etc/pandora/conf/apps *facepalm*

Yeah, i didn't pointed it out because i thought you were indicating the standard paths.

Back