Is Anyone Working With N64 Emulation Right Now?

.Gogeta§§J4BR.

that brazilian guy =`]
Website
robertocr.com
If so, who it is? what is the progress, if any?

If not so, have you guys already tried to contact StrmnNrmn?

Look at how well the emulator is shaping up on the psp, even though the specs are much lower
because he knows about how n64 emulation works a lot, and he is optimizing the code like hell and fully utilizing all the psp resources like the media engine.
I'm pretty confident he could make it perfect once he optimizes it with the pandora's processor capabilities!

http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

for those of you who has never seen the psp playing n64 (even though psp specs are way lower than pandora's for emulation) to realize it's possible:

you can find lots of Daedalus PSP videos on youtube, but most disable sound to make the speed a lot better (because mario 64 gets perfect then, look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vueTdTJguAQ )

here is a video with a person playing (the latest daedalus build) mario64 with sound, smash bros(heavy!) and mariokart without sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfsrlQc-5cU

Last edited by a moderator:
developers can start to write the first lines of code without having to say it out loud here in the forums. it's perfectly natural.
although I was pretty sure it was unusual, I had to ask, before talking about StrmnNrmn.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
for those of you who has never seen the psp playing n64 (even though psp specs are way lower than pandora's for emulation) to realize it's possible:

you can find lots of Daedalus PSP videos on youtube, but most disable sound to make the speed a lot better (because mario 64 gets perfect then, look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vueTdTJguAQ )

here is a video with a person playing (the latest daedalus build) mario64 with sound, smash bros(heavy!) and mariokart without sound

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I have played mario64 on the PSP, and trust me: It isn't playable.

I did mess around and try it out, but basically the only area that plays full-speed is the castle foyer, it isn't ready for prime-time.

I like the idea of n64, but I am pretty sure that none of the dev units were given to n64 coders (I am assuming because although Zodttd got one, he actually had PSX code ready to go for ARM, I don't know of anyone with a handheld ARM emulator for n64, and it sure as heck wasn't functional on the GP2X in the same fashion as the PSX was.)

I am not bashing the idea, or the possibility, just saying that no units are "out in the wild" yet. We won't see an n64 emu until someone who can code an n64 emulator buys one and makes it. The dev units are going to folks with a proven track record in the community, or other capacity to help the launch with software/hardware.

I would love to get some feedback on an n64 emulator that runs on ARM (no bull, I am very interested in emulation and handhelds.)

If there is such a thing then we can start thinking about it. I highly doubt that n64 would be playable without being made specifically for ARM. PSP is not an ARM system btw.

nubie said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I have played mario64 on the PSP, and trust me: It isn't playable.

I did mess around and try it out, but basically the only area that plays full-speed is the castle foyer, it isn't ready for prime-time.

I like the idea of n64, but I am pretty sure that none of the dev units were given to n64 coders (I am assuming because although Zodttd got one, he actually had PSX code ready to go for ARM, I don't know of anyone with a handheld ARM emulator for n64, and it sure as heck wasn't functional on the GP2X in the same fashion as the PSX was.)

I am not bashing the idea, or the possibility, just saying that no units are "out in the wild" yet. We won't see an n64 emu until someone who can code an n64 emulator buys one and makes it. The dev units are going to folks with a proven track record in the community, or other capacity to help the launch with software/hardware.

I would love to get some feedback on an n64 emulator that runs on ARM (no bull, I am very interested in emulation and handhelds.)

If there is such a thing then we can start thinking about it. I highly doubt that n64 would be playable without being made specifically for ARM. PSP is not an ARM system btw.

I agree about the PSP N64 emulation not being playable. I also agree that we will probably have to wait a while for N64 emulation on the Pandora, because I know that the devs that are receiving the pandoras have other things on their agendas. (but I believe that many of the emu devs who are receiving pandoras have the ability to get N64 running)

We'll just have to wait until one of them finishes one of their projects and feels like porting and then optimizing an N64 emu, or, like you said, wait until someone who wants to port an emu buys the pandora and gets to work on it.

-God Ginrai

Your friend may be a bit of a fanboy.

I have a PSP, and honestly, I agree with the above posters. Last time I tried the latest Daedalus, it was very inconsistent. Some scenes in Mario 64 ran somewhat smoothly, while others crawled. Most games were worse. It's still at the tech demo stage IMO, not a truly "playable" emu. It's cool to see it working, but you wouldn't want to actually play a game all the way thru on it (at least I wouldn't).

Pandora just might have a decent N64 emu someday, but it's not something someone should buy a Pandora for specifically, because it also may never happen at all.

of course I don't play many of the games i'd want to play on a n64 emulator
they are unplayable on daedalus psp and I never said the opposite

but games like mario and mariokart, the one's I'm talking about, are really playable (yes, I play them without sound).

and I'm really playing them, not just running around outside the castle :p I'm playing mario 64 over again because it's one of my favorite games ever, and it's really playable

I can already say it is a very nice thing to play a n64 game in a portable, because those games are nice, have pretty 3D graphics and are very small in rom size :)

I bet many people here would also enjoy some better n64 emulation, it can get pretty damn good (not perfect, obviously) with many cool games playable.
and if you guys, who know you would enjoy some great n64 emulation, please pay attention to StrmnNrmn because of everything I've already said about him =`]

You are probably right now that I think about it, I did notice a little bit of stuttering (so what if I was flying around the castle :p).

The killer was the damn screen, the RED ghosted so bad that Mario left a reddish brown blur around any area his red cap moved into. And of course the control scheme and the weight of the entire PSP (metal cage and useless optical drive anyone?).

It was probably 1/2 speed or so most of the time, and to be fair that is playable (I recall back in the dawn of modern emulation I was stoked at a consistent 1/4 speed emulator, but we are talking 10+ years ago on Pentium w/MMX and Cyrix MediaGX machines, oh and a Cyrix/Via Samuel II, wow that is nostalgic.)

Basically IF anyone was interested, we will surely hear about when the interested parties have anything.

(I just mean to say I don't think that anyone of the dev pre-release units will be used for n64 dev, just because most, if not all, of the current scene emu coders and developers don't think it is a worthwhile goal for them to pursue at the present time.)

I think it could be done for sure, but someone brilliant and motivated enough to do hasn't come forward (and can't really until they have a Pandora).

EDIT: I guess it looks like nobody is working on one now, or they are silent. I expect we will see some when it is out, maybe within a year or two, if the production units can clock to 900mhz like the dev units, or even 800mhz (~30%-50% overclock), there should be enough power for rudimentary emulation (possibly more), I do like that little Mario character, he was really the first 3D acrobatic character, climbing walls and such.

Although StrmnNrmn has done some very solid work on PSP, lets not forget that this emu is still not all that playable to most people and he has been developing this emu for years now with new releases few and far between.

I'm sure though that he will be aware of Pandora, and will develop for it IF he wants to fully realise his own potential.

Maybe I had the sound on when I tried Daedalus - don't remember.

Anyway, I'm sure N64 will be tried on Pandora at some point, and I would not be surprised at all to see some (not all) N64 games running pretty well via HLE techniques.

There's just too many unknowns right now to be more definitive. But I think most emulation veterans and coders are looking at the Pandora specs optimistically, even if everyone is being cautious (otherwise too many stupid rumors get started).

.Gogeta§§J4BR. leave it up to the devs to look . You can be sure that N64 hasn't gone unnoticed by certain devs. Just wait and see and stop telling people about certain things (like the live service).

nubie said:
Basically IF anyone was interested, we will surely hear about when the interested parties have anything.
That's exactly it. We may not hear about N64 emulation until it is running pretty well, because no dev is going to start working on N64 and announce it when they start. Because they know that with such a highly-awaited emulator, people will hound them for progress and betas, etc.

-God Ginrai

I know if I were working on an N64 emulator, I wouldn't say a damn thing until I had a working public beta to release. Zod and Tinnus are putting out regular updates about PSX4Pandora development and they're still getting pestered for more.

i can sadly say that I would be one who would ask for status updates, although I'd probably be better than ^ (i hope).
Yea if someone's developing a n64 emu just stay quiet about it until you have at least a few games running playable.

zodttd said:
Ok magicman. Thanks for the tip. :p
If you seriously plan to work on one, you would be my pandora god. ;P Btw, Zodttd, do you have IM? Because I'd like to talk to you about some emulator standards that I think might be a good idea to start implementing in the Pandora emulators.

-God Ginrai

Back