GP2X Is Anyone Developing In Linux?

Lint

Hey, I'm having quite a hard time to develop things in linux
And it seems like everybody else use to develop in Windows

So my question is: does anyone use to develop things in linux using standard linux tools like vi, gcc and so on?
I'm feeling quite lone.. :unsure:

For example, I've tried to compile squidgesnes in linux, and you'll get an error because of filesystem's case-sensitiviness (I already told squidge about that, I hope he updated makefile and includes..), this was after I'd gone to the IRC channel and nobody said a word (the only one that spoke was some dumb fuck operator trying to make fun of me by trying to compile something instead of using binaries... that was very nice for #gp2xdev) so I figured out that most probably nobody tried to compile it under linux...?

Is there any windows free compiler that have better support for gp2x things or it would be best to keep trying to compile things in normal gcc 4.x?

Lint posted on Jul 7 2006 at 02:15 PM said:

So my question is: does anyone use to develop things in linux using standard linux tools like vi, gcc and so on?

You aren't alone - count me in! :)

I'm using only Vim, a toolchain and Python for some quick utlities.

For example, I've tried to compile squidgesnes in linux, and you'll get an error because of filesystem's case-sensitiviness (I already told squidge about that, I hope he updated makefile and includes..), this was after I'd gone to the IRC channel and nobody said a word (the only one that spoke was some dumb fuck operator trying to make fun of me by trying to compile something instead of using binaries... that was very nice for #gp2xdev) so I figured out that most probably nobody tried to compile it under linux...?

Well... I was trying once to compile Quake1 but I failed. It can be done for sure but as I had something different to do...
I don't have an idea about compiling squidgesnes in Linux thought I was viewing its sources (for an "educational" purposes).

Is there any windows free compiler that have better support for gp2x things or it would be best to keep trying to compile things in normal gcc 4.x?

Try in gcc. Someone has to do it first. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using GCC in windows. Look around the archive (development section, tools).
I haven't tried coding in Linux due to my GP2X crashing when I try to use the USB network (but it works with windows for some reason).

I develop under linux. I personnaly use emacs ;)

here is the mmu hacked version of squidgesnes
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/private/squ...0.37mmu_src.zip
I compile it under linux, so it should work out of the box with 'make -C menu && make'
(you may need to edit the Makefiles...)

I do all my development in Linux. I use XEmacs and vi

TKF15H posted on Jul 7 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
I'm using GCC in windows. Look around the archive (development section, tools).
I haven't tried coding in Linux due to my GP2X crashing when I try to use the USB network (but it works with windows for some reason).

I do all my development in Linux, I don't have Windows installed. USB works for me.

Have you got the updated version of g_ether? See this thread

i use linux 99% for all my gp2x hacking, and OSX for about %1 of it (where the platforms cross, mostly) .. but i must honestly say i haven't used a microsoft OS for years to hack code.

for me, linux is the perfect environment to get really code-productive .. the command line is the interface to everything, cscope for project management/code control, judicious use of CVS/tarballs, vim for all code. i don't need no fancy IDE .. cscope gives me the 'browser' i need for my projects as well as anyone elses' code, and there are at least 4 different ways to effect a 'cut/copy/paste' in all realms, so .. i don't do Windows, in other words.

Makefile/make/vim/cscope/grep/sed/gcc/strace. its all you really need to master, everything else is just fliff.

pepone posted on Jul 7 2006 at 01:38 PM said:
I develop under linux. I personnaly use emacs ;)
nice to see people on linux, I use "joe" most of the time, sometimes mcedit... I said vi just for example :]
here is the mmu hacked version of squidgesnes
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/private/squ...0.37mmu_src.zip
I compile it under linux, so it should work out of the box with 'make -C menu && make'
(you may need to edit the Makefiles...)
Yep, I had to edit makefile...
make clean won't make because "del" is no such program here.. I changed the makefile to "rm" since it would build over Linux, cygwin and any other BSD-compatible "make", but I rather set a RM = rm variable to be easier to make a multi-system-compatible Makefile
also changed "clean: tidy squidgesnes" line to "clean: tidy" (just to be a bit more standardized clean)

still it keep complaining with my zlib:
Code:
arm-linux-gcc -static -g -I. -I/opt/eldk/usr/include  -O3 -mtune=arm920t -ftracer -fstrength-reduce -Wno-unused -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrict-aliasing -ffast-math -D__GP2X__ -c unzip.c -o unzip.o
unzip.c: In function 'unzOpenCurrentFile3':
unzip.c:1130: error: 'z_stream' has no member named 'zalloc'
unzip.c:1131: error: 'z_stream' has no member named 'zfree'
unzip.c:1132: error: 'z_stream' has no member named 'opaque'
make: *** [unzip.o] Error 1
I don't have this /opt/eldk/usr/include, wich is some other development kit (I think, right?), if so, please send me the link or name of this devel kit, so I'd reather install it too, but if this directory is just a simbolic link to normal /usr/include/, than that I've already done (right about now /opt/eldk has been mkdir'ed, and /opt/eldk/usr -> /usr )

If you'd rather receive my updated Makefile to see if it's best use it, I can send it to you by email or port on a reply B)

torpor posted on Jul 7 2006 at 04:08 PM said:
i use linux 99% for all my gp2x hacking, and OSX for about %1 of it (where the platforms cross, mostly) .. but i must honestly say i haven't used a microsoft OS for years to hack code.

for me, linux is the perfect environment to get really code-productive .. the command line is the interface to everything, cscope for project management/code control, judicious use of CVS/tarballs, vim for all code. i don't need no fancy IDE .. cscope gives me the 'browser' i need for my projects as well as anyone elses' code, and there are at least 4 different ways to effect a 'cut/copy/paste' in all realms, so .. i don't do Windows, in other words.

Makefile/make/vim/cscope/grep/sed/gcc/strace. its all you really need to master, everything else is just fliff.
I'm feeling much better now :lol:

I was thinking that I was the only one to try to keep it only in linux (I do have windows here, but I don't use it much besides some electronic CAD design and microcontroller's development that I still can't migrate to linux right now)

but you'd just compiled everything starting by "./configure --target=avr-linux --exec-prefix=/some/other/root/..." etc etc etc by hand or you do use some kind of development kit?

Radek posted on Jul 7 2006 at 12:36 PM said:
You aren't alone - count me in! :)

I'm using only Vim, a toolchain and Python for some quick utlities.

Try in gcc. Someone has to do it first. ;)
cool, can you name these?

I compiled squidgesnes a version ago (0.36) but I don't even tried the binary so far as I've got my GP2X just about 2 ou 3 days ago, and that binary is from my pre-gp2x era B)

but you'd just compiled everything starting by "./configure --target=avr-linux --exec-prefix=/some/other/root/..." etc etc etc by hand or you do use some kind of development kit?

yes, i do just 'configure/compile' "by hand" .. since i like to contribute to any project i've got source for, there's little point resisting getting deep into the entrails of the build system. "if you can't grok a Makefile, quit writing code and do Java instead", is my motto .. ;)

all my personal projects start with a Makefile and move on from there as needed. I don't need no devkit/IDE. i don't have any problems recompiling a compiler for target-[X], either .. though i am finding some aspects of maintaining a hydra-like build install on single machines for various targets quite tiresome, i do also have no problems whatsoever bootstrapping 'most' of the architectures i work on sufficient that they can self-build, which i'm sorta going to do for the gp2x one of these days soon ..

Lint posted on Jul 7 2006 at 08:19 PM said:
Yep at I had to edit makefile...
make clean won't make because "del" is no such program here.. I changed the makefile to "rm" since it would build over Linux, cygwin and any other BSD-compatible "make", but I rather set a RM = rm variable to be easier to make a multi-system-compatible Makefile
also changed "clean: tidy squidgesnes" line to "clean: tidy" (just to be a bit more standardized clean)

still it keep complaining with my zlib:
Code:
arm-linux-gcc -static -g -I. -I/opt/eldk/usr/include  -O3 -mtune=arm920t -ftracer -fstrength-reduce -Wno-unused -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrict-aliasing -ffast-math -D__GP2X__ -c unzip.c -o unzip.o
unzip.c: In function 'unzOpenCurrentFile3':
unzip.c:1130: error: 'z_stream' has no member named 'zalloc'
unzip.c:1131: error: 'z_stream' has no member named 'zfree'
unzip.c:1132: error: 'z_stream' has no member named 'opaque'
make: *** [unzip.o] Error 1
I don't have this /opt/eldk/usr/include, wich is some other development kit (I think, right?), if so, please send me the link or name of this devel kit, so I'd reather install it too, but if this directory is just a simbolic link to normal /usr/include/, than that I've already done (right about now /opt/eldk has been mkdir'ed, and /opt/eldk/usr -> /usr )
Yes, eldk is the Embedded Linux Development Kit http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/ELDK
You should change /opt/eldk/usr/include to point to your arm-linux based environnement.

If you'd rather receive my updated Makefile to see if it's best use it, I can send it to you by email or port on a reply B)
do as you want. The Makefile I used was quickly made to get it working :)

pepone posted on Jul 7 2006 at 07:20 PM said:
Yes at eldk is the Embedded Linux Development Kit http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/ELDK
You should change /opt/eldk/usr/include to point to your arm-linux based environnement.
Ok, I'm gonna give it a try
do as you want. The Makefile I used was quickly made to get it working :)

Wouldn't it be best if we use Makefile in such a way that most people would be able to compile?
I mean... then more likely to people see the code, learn and/or contribute to it, it would be great!

I tried before to link to my avr development root at first, but it seems that I'll have to install zlib onto that first, and zlib-1.2.3 doesn't seem to compile correctly (the reason why I tried to compile with headers of my system's zlib), is there a especific version of zlib for gp2x/arm or I'm doing something stupid?

Back