Release Irrlicht Engine on Pandora Hardware - video from cpasjuste

Hmm... does this mean that games like Gekkeiju Online (closed source; we'd have to contact the author) or other games using the engine could be ported easily?

JePP said:
Hmm... does this mean that games like Gekkeiju Online (closed source; we'd have to contact the author) or other games using the engine could be ported easily?
The whole point of Irrlicht is that you can write software for it and run it anywhere. It should just be a compile and done, unless the application in question uses some weird external libraries.

I thought the point of Irrlicht (and most engines) was to simplify the API of more complex display, sound and collision classes and engines etc.
Beeing cross-plattform is a nice benefit, but I don't think that most developers care how their game looks like on a portable plattform. Irrlicht is a huge engine (huge in terms of userbase) and I have seen impressive stuff with high-poly models in them - I doubt you would get those to run on the Pandora, at the same time some games might be optimized for a specific resolution, I doubt these will work fine on the Pandora without modifications.

//Edit: Was quoting the first post necessary, it only loads the flash player twice which fills up the RAM of my mobile devices..

Irrlicht currently only supports opengl-es 1.x. I've just recently finished the remaining things such that the examples are now all running fine. cpasjuste has confirmed that he has all of them running (besides the obviously not working shaders examples of course).
Ports will be definitely much simpler this way, but of course cannot be guaranteed. Most of the demos and apps use, e.g., windows specific code just because the programmers don't care for such things. High-poly models are usually not so much of a problem, because they are seldomly used in released apps. Improper use of huge textures could happen more often. I can optimize such things in the driver, though, e.g. by scaling them down on the fly. But these things, and all the other optimizations that might be needed for optimal performance on the Pandora, will have to wait until I get the actual device.

It's cool to know some free game engines are capable of making games that will play on the pandora (That look pretty good)... I plan on doing some game dev and making a game for OpenPandora might just be enough motivation... The cool thing; it's a linux game too, so it shouldn't be to hard to recompile the game for linux as well as an OpenPandora version

I was looking forward to this engine being ported to Pandora. I have two question that are very important for the game I want to make:

- Does Irrlicht work with the TV-Out?
- Can you render two different "viewports" (one of them in the LCD and the another one in the TV) or the TV-Out only "clones" the LCD Display?

The screenshots are very nice and the engine is very easy to use (I did some tests few months ago and it was amazing). The problem will be, as usual, finding a good artist, but having Irrlicht in our Pandoras are always very good news.

Back