iPhone emulation scene - dead?

foft

Certified Guru
Website
www.scrameta.net
I was hoping to play some emulators on my iphone once the icp2 is out. Eg genesis4iphone, gb4iphone. I just tried them on my iphone 5 and the sound is terrible on them! Are there any workarounds? I expected the ios emulation scene to be bigger than the Pandora scene given their popularity... The gp32 emulators seem far better:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since its so hard to get non-apple approved code running on the iPhone, its very discouraging to developers to make emulators when Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Android greet devs with open arms

Much more painful to develop but huge audience. These are zodttd emulators I'm trying mostly, so I'd expect then to be awesome! Perhaps they just don't work properly on the iPhone 5...

I was thinking I could port one of the Atari 800 emulators but if even Zodttd can't get sound to work probably beyond my abilities:)

Android has a much larger audience than iOS :)
And?The pandora audience is awfully small and we still have many new softwares…

What matters is not the size of he community, but the people that are part of it.

o_O wow, really?! Not one mention of .emu emulators?

Robert Broglia has a series of emulators for iOS devices. He's pretty much covered all the pre-3D systems, at least the more well known ones. Pretty much every one works very good, smooth, stable, etc. the GUI is done rather well: simplistic in design. Works well for touch screens.

Most of his emulators cost money, and personally I think are an extra dollar or two high, but I've not yet once regretted any purchases from him. His emulators also support a bevy of features: controller support, cheats, save states, among others I can't think of at the moment lol.

His website:

Www.explusalpha.com

But you can find his emulators on Cydia.

No offense to Zodttd, but his emulators pale in comparison, and I hope he sparks a renewed interest in development for his emulators to improve them. In the meantime, I cross my fingers every time Robert announces a new .EMU emulator, in hopes it will be for a new system that I want to play on my iDevice. :)

Also, while most of his emulators cost money, his snes9xex emulator is free, so find it on Cydia and download it, and give it a try. You can expect pretty much the same experience with his other emulators. :)

Finally, yeah emulation on iOS sucks. There is a severe lack of 3D emulated systems on iOS, and I would like to see a surge of actual, decent emulators for newer systems (n64, psx, etc) at the moment, Zodttd's version of said emulators are not up to snuff for my tastes. :)

Most of his emulators cost money
The thing is, they're not his emulators at all, he developed an UI framework that he slaps on top of open source emulators, rebrands them and then sells, sometimes even against author's wishes (see genesis plus -> MD.emu). It's pretty much the same as what Zodttd did, only that Robert does not suck so bad at doing it like Z does.

I can guess you don't care about all that, but maybe that will explain you why you see that "severe lack of 3D emulated systems" - those guys are incapable of coding their own emus.

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't aware of RetroArch. I've installed it and will give it a try. Perhaps at 2,3,4 or even 5am - baby sleep training - uff:)

I'm working on an fpga project at the moment to replicate the Atari800. Reminds me just how much work writing emulators from scratch is!

An fpga 800?! That woukd be an awesome addition to the budding fpga emu scene :)

Make an Atari 800 in a pandora case ftw :)

/>

Most of his emulators cost money
The thing is, they're not his emulators at all, he developed an UI framework that he slaps on top of open source emulators, rebrands them and then sells, sometimes even against author's wishes (see genesis plus -> MD.emu). It's pretty much the same as what Zodttd did, only that Robert does not suck so bad at doing it like Z does.

I can guess you don't care about all that, but maybe that will explain you why you see that "severe lack of 3D emulated systems" - those guys are incapable of coding their own emus.
Mostly just sick of everyone praising Zodttd so much, when even before something like Robert's emus came along, Zodttd's did not really do much. He would appear, take people's money, disappear for awhile, rinse/repeat. Least with Robert he actively seems to add improvements. I wasn't aware of the selling open source emu's without permission though. I was aware most were based on open source projects, but I just assumed that's why he had them: they were open source. Anyways, was just helping OP find some better alternatives

An fpga 800?! That woukd be an awesome addition to the budding fpga emu scene :)

Make an Atari 800 in a pandora case ftw :)
An FPGA board for the Pandora case would rock. Guess many parts of the existing layout can be used. I have yet to design a pcb though so not worth asking Ed yet! I've just got a reflow oven and am going to design some pcbs but that would be a little over ambitious for the first!

Back