introducing myself (with some specific questions!)

Okay so the GPD Win is more of your Jam, that's fine...

Most of us here want to be here, because we want the continuation of this Pandora Community to move forward on a new platform, We as a group had some contribution in the design choices and such, so we're invested into it. So the Pyra is likely a little bizarre for someone who is new to the community.

I might have accidentally worded my last post incorrectly, or at least not state clear what I was talking about, the beast is the Pyra. I like bizarre things, some people even probably think I am bizarre... I like that! The GPD win is just the quickest, cheapest, and easiest solution at this time.
[doublepost=1514434395,1514434345][/doublepost]
IF you're just going to play games from the battletoads era why not just get a PSP or a Pandora?
Because with the Pyra I can play battletoads, ONLINE EDITION!

damn the GPD win 2 is $1363 + shipping in AUD??? think the Pyra will be cheaper than that!! 888 euro + shipping?? give me a Pyra any day!

damn the GPD win 2 is $1363 + shipping in AUD??? think the Pyra will be cheaper than that!! 888 euro + shipping?? give me a Pyra any day!

No it's not, that is just a place holder listing. There was also one showing $0 at one point and other prices

Last edited:
For a certain segment of the market (One of Us! One of Us!), the Pyra really has no competition.
Is it because the Pyra is not even trying to compete perhaps? Considering it is Linux and the specs have been the same for at least 2 years. I wish I knew what the graphics aspect was, when I looked at it, I could not even research it, it was kind of cryptic. I literally never heard of Pandora, not even sure how I came on here, but honestly I was like "oh it is arm, I did not like thinking about it as a tablet, which is the thing I am trying to get away from. But yeah the having a sim card slot completely differentiates it from any other similar handheld device. thus why I do not care about the Pandora. Ok now to ZZZZZZzzzzzzZzZzz

Thank you for that, that will help me compare it to the Gpd win 2, but I just noticed the analog nubs and d pad are swapped... That changes a lot. As I have used a nub for playing battle toads and I can say it is usable but slightly awkward for precise movements.

edit: wait a minute I have researched this before, the thing that made me not click on this https://www.cnx-software.com/2012/06/04/texas-instruments-showcases-omap-5-gpu-benchmark/ was I was thinking this was like a calculator thing. Because I remember they make calculators way back when. Anyways looking at the graphics glocks and compairing it to the GPD win2, they are very similiar in performance. My laptop has a lower frequency graphic card and is probably older and it can run total war warhammer, even the GPD WIN can run that game. It is just that it would suck the battery very fast. So it really is not out of the question if this can go the extra gaming mile. In fact looking at this http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Texas-Instruments-OMAP-5 it might even be better than the GPD win2? Am I getting my facts right though.

But there was a post suggesting I get a gemini, gpd pocket, win, etc. Obviouosly if I want to play video games there goes the gemini and pocket. You can not use the pocket while laying down, that is the big difference. The GPD win while nice does have the flaw of having a left side keyboard, the GPD win 2 is a huge improvement but not as retro friendly with the depad being inside. With the WASD being still kind of in a awkward position, so you probably can not treat it like a mini laptop. Has anyone tries to treat the Pyra as a mini laptop?

Last edited:
Here is a thought experiment for you...

If you were to find an apple and an orange that both seemed to have a similar sugar content, and a similar distribution of nutrients...

... could you make an apple pie with the orange? How about some orange juice with the apple?

Now apply this logic to Processing Unit architectures.

@Daniel Burk

Clock speeds have barely moved for a while now. The difference I think, is what SOCs can do per clock cycle. And I'm guessin a M3-7Y30 can do a heck of lot more per clock cycle. Probably simplistic way of putting it, but there you go. For what it's worth the M3 has a 64bit processor whereas the Omap5 has a 32 bit processor

Also, the M3-7y30 has been tested to be about twice as fast as the Z8750(used in the current WIN). Yet the Z8750 has a higher base frequency and the same burst frequency as the M3. The Z8750 is also a quad core, whereas the M3-7y30 is adual core

blabla TI OMAP5 compared to Intel Kaby Lake blabla
Not on the same league at all, there is no power comparison possible. The Kaby Lake is >>> OMAP5. And it's fine. As others have said, if you want to run Total War and other Windows games you should look at GPD Win products, the Pyra won't cut it.

If you want a good portable laptop, emulation machine (not for the most recent machines like PS2 and Gamecube/Wii), open source games, then the Pyra is probably better.

Here is a thought experiment for you...

If you were to find an apple and an orange that both seemed to have a similar sugar content, and a similar distribution of nutrients...

... could you make an apple pie with the orange? How about some orange juice with the apple?

Now apply this logic to Processing Unit architectures.
Fail analogy, you can lol, it would just better tasting, lol. You can orange pie too, it just probably takes a little bit of extra prep. Wait, is that the point of the analogy, because then I agree.

@Daniel Burk

Clock speeds have barely moved for a while now. The difference I think, is what SOCs can do per clock cycle. And I'm guessin a M3-7Y30 can do a heck of lot more per clock cycle. Probably simplistic way of putting it, but there you go. For what it's worth the M3 has a 64bit processor whereas the Omap5 has a 32 bit processor

Also, the M3-7y30 has been tested to be about twice as fast as the Z8750(used in the current WIN). Yet the Z8750 has a higher base frequency and the same burst frequency as the M3. The Z8750 is also a quad core, whereas the M3-7y30 is adual core
I have also heard of HIGHER quality cpu, like as in the same clock speed but like you mention... Which makes it very cryptic to someone who does not understand computers. Thus why this device would basically take a back seat while a chinese company takes all the pie all over again! Part of me wishes there was actual competition to China for once when it comes to electronics. I got to hand it to GPD, I feel like they were using psychic powers to know exactly what I was thinking when I had a seven inch tablet and wanted to do more.. Or maybe just about anyone thought about it. As I read your response it becomes clear to me that anyone who is not part of the pandora club or new to it will just not even bother thinking about this device. Obviously I am different because I had that thing in my head were I wanted to use my laptop as I go, but I hate putting external devices that A:will stick out and maybe break, B:for small devices a usb modem would look too big. I have researched quad core and duel core, the duel cores can have better quality cores but less cores. I assume the result is a bit less strain on a battery or whatever. Actually my laptop that can run total war warhammer has a lower clock speed than the pyra and is a duel core.

And to the latest poster, I kind of get the feeling you guys have no idea, and you are just giving your opinion, Part of me thinks that for something that is two years older than the original GPD win and wlll be like three times the price... There better be an slightly overhwelming advantage. You guys make it out like the Pyra is kind of a useless device, when in fact diablo 2 has been long ported to android even. But for me I like to see how much use I can squeeze out of a device, I remember doing that. It is quite interseting how companies will try to limit a devices abilities, and then a bunch of geeks come along and assimiliate the product to their own liking, ha ha. You forget the wine exists for this very reason.

But anyways besides all that, anyone think that maybe displaying the pyra as red kind of makes people think this is more of a toy? Because I literally thinking of kid toys which tend to be red. I know if you scroll down it shows a transparent one, but the average person is an annoyingliy lazy minded person lol. But then again maybe Evil Dragon has only so many resources so he purposely limits his potential business, this is pure speculation. That being said is it possible to customize the colors later using decals or you know maybe putting a aluminum case on it, that would be sweet. Maybe I could create my own almunim case by doing a little engineering.

I am still waiting on the GPD win, I probably will try to have my cake and eat it, have one handheld that playings windows games, and then one handheld that does things on the office/posting on here side while my tired body rests.

By the way benoitb do you think that is a little perverted to have a picture of a naked girl sitting down?

Obviously the Pyra from what I read in your last post...

Well you guys already convined me not to preorder now if that is what he is referring to, but lordy I think I am listening to worlds worst salesman/promoters, I think you are doing a disservice. Because I am aware that a whole bunch of pc games were ported to the Android 2-3 years ago. I know maybe right out of the box it can not run most AAA titles, but Total War Warhammer is actually a super well optimized game. It has not been tested nor has anyone tried, but I hypothesize based on I have a lower clocked cpu and that it can be run on a GPD win that it is not that out of reach. It definately it is not a requirement for me personally however. Also congratulations because I now show up on search results if anyone searches for kaby lake vs omap5... But besides that quite to the contrary that thing that lead me back is the whole having a built in router type thing.

Not many people here are acting as salesmen. Some are acting to set expectations, and to counter any tendency to overpromise when actually we don't know what will be truly possible yet, but different people come from different positions, which can make the overall message a bit too nuanced to be easily read.

I'm a bit confused about these PC games that you say were ported to Android. Were these games that were controlled using keyboard and mouse? The android 'versions' of these games are unlikely to be straight ports in that case.

By the way benoitb do you think that is a little perverted to have a picture of a naked girl sitting down?
I think it's natural and beautiful. What do you think :p ?

(It was drawn by a female friend of mine during my university years. My best guess would be that it was not drawn to be perverted but who am I to know what was going through her mind.)

Not many people here are acting as salesmen. Some are acting to set expectations, and to counter any tendency to overpromise when actually we don't know what will be truly possible yet, but different people come from different positions, which can make the overall message a bit too nuanced to be easily read.

I'm a bit confused about these PC games that you say were ported to Android. Were these games that were controlled using keyboard and mouse? The android 'versions' of these games are unlikely to be straight ports in that case.

Fair enough, so I am basically not talking to tech geeks, just people with rough opinions, just want to make that clear. I might be more of an expert on this, I am good at optimizing devices, my Nexus 7 is highly optimized, though because I hate bluethooth controllers and having to somehow get it to have those controls in any software... I just started to hate the tablet type device, and thus the interest in this device for that reason too. Also it acts like a desktop with the ability to just install a new chip at will.

I think it's natural and beautiful. What do you think :p ?

(It was drawn by a female friend of mine during my university years. My best guess would be that it was not drawn to be perverted but who am I to know what was going through her mind.)
And the plot thickens.... I notice you did not directly answer the question which does not bode well, I know what that means. But yeah if the premise is that she is a pervert.... And you seem to want to display that to the world at any given time... I guess you are make an omission of guilt without actually saying it directly. Is that a drawing of her, and how the heck did you get friend zoned... Maybe you have a lot of emotional pain about being friend zoned... dude, you need to get over her.

Maurice-Moss-Eating-Popcorn-The-IT-Crowd.gif

Was DaVinci a pervert when he drew this? That's even full-frontal in the lingo.

Some here are more expert than others. The problem with promsing stuff I find is that it depends an awful lot on the patience of developers in optimising their code - for the Pandora for example I would never have expected Oolite to come out, but ptitseb managed it, and Exophase managed to devlop a Nintendo DS emulator that runs at 100% speed for almost everything from scratch. I find it most satifying to expect little so that I'm always positively surprised when something cool comes out, but maybe that's just me.

Back