Intro Music whilst booting up?

• Thread starter CocoCreekFisherman
  • Start date

Completely my opinion.

There's an argument that, since the pandora has a hardware volume control, a boot jingle would be harmless at worst - I'd go along with that.

Poll?

Completely my opinion.

There's an argument that, since the pandora has a hardware volume control, a boot jingle would be harmless at worst - I'd go along with that.

Poll?
I second a poll. Let the chips fall as they may.  ;)

Last edited:
At one point ColdStoRaGe (I've more than likely messed up the capitalisation there...) was going to make an opening jingle for Pandora - but there was no way to play a boot jingle without slowing down the boot process... or something to that effect and eventually nothing more was heard on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really no way of playing any sound until the sound system is initialized, and while I have no idea when exactly that happens in the boot process it's definitely not near the start.

How about a blue square slowly resolving itself by pixel subdivision into a pandora logo?:

1x1 pandora logo = blue square (huge pixels)

2x2 = still pretty much a square (half-as-big pixels)

4x4 = less obviously a square (quarter as big pixels)

8x8 = almost recognisable

32 x 32 retro-looking (pixel quadrupling)

64x64 = grainy-looking (pixel doubling)

128x128 = full resolution logo

There's really no way of playing any sound until the sound system is initialized, and while I have no idea when exactly that happens in the boot process it's definitely not near the start.
Yeah, that"s the problem with these kinf of "boot animations". It really depends how your boot sequence works.

I'd love to have an option for a boot sound, even if its near the end of the boot sequence due to the booting order.

No need for a poll here, undoubtably there are people who would like it and it obviously would be optional, so a poll doesnt really make a lot of sense. People who wouldn't like it have nothing to lose as they could just switch it off.

While I'm really not sure that I'd want any audio on boot, (I'm thinking probably not, and if there was any I'd definitely want a way to disable it easily)  I have to say that that animation is absolutely adorable.  :)

- Neelix

All Linux distros I've used definitely have sound up and running by the time it comes round to user login, as I often set a sound to wake me up on slow PCs where bootup takes long enough for me to go and boil the kettle.

I have to say that that animation is absolutely adorable.
I wonder what happened to Mr Gonzo? We were working together on Zomb'd and he disappeared completely from the scene. I know he was out of work for a while and then got a job doing tv stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
All Linux distros I've used definitely have sound up and running by the time it comes round to user login, as I often set a sound to wake me up on slow PCs where bootup takes long enough for me to go and boil the kettle.
Oh absolutely, and if people wanted a "Pandora is now ready to use" sound, it's pretty simple. The trick is getting some kind of jingle playing while it is booting.

Back