Interview with european Mitsui distributor

Flack posted on Oct 8 2003 at 03:47 AM said:
The fear of every console is piracy. It's a fact that most consoles are sold at a loss (I've seen estimates that xBoxes cost up to $400 to make). Console makers do this because they make so much money back on their games.

If the european launch can figure out a way to lock games to a specific SMC card, then they can cut out any piracy of their games. There will always be people trying to crack copy protection, but that hasn't stopped companies from trying.
Only the xbox is sold at loss... the ps2 and gamecube is profitable from what I´ve heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
kraahl posted on Oct 8 2003 at 07:25 AM said:
The fear of every console is piracy. It's a fact that most consoles are sold at a loss (I've seen estimates that xBoxes cost up to $400 to make). Console makers do this because they make so much money back on their games.

If the european launch can figure out a way to lock games to a specific SMC card, then they can cut out any piracy of their games. There will always be people trying to crack copy protection, but that hasn't stopped companies from trying.
Only the xbox is sold at loss... the ps2 and gamecube is profitable from what I´ve heard.
Some people reckon that piracy helped the Playstation to become the most popular console, pirated games were so easy to find that more people bought one!

And I bet they all still bought some real games...

kraahl posted on Oct 8 2003 at 07:25 AM said:
I don't think that's correct. The first model of the PS2 was costing Sony $400 as well. The Guardian and the Inquirer both have articles referring to the fact that all three next gen consoles are being sold at a loss. Besides, I don't think you can call the Gamecube profitable from any angle. I'm pretty sure there's more than $99 worth of parts in there.

There are many online retailers offering to buy software for the GP32 online and download it to your unit. Are similar platforms for the European / American Market in the planning stages?

At the beginning, Software will only be available via the classical retail channel.
Sounds like you won't be able to download games if you get a European GP32.

This is absolutely horrible news. Does this mean that European GP32s will not be compatible with the GP link? :(

Will the GP32 homebrew community become obsolete, then?

Don't worry, all the homebrew games still work (and I guess, all the commercial ones, too).
This only means, that there is no official possibility in Europe to download games like it's possible from joygp.

I hope they still release translation patches for the new English versions...

Well, sort of.
But the GP32 will in Europe mostly buyed by Kids who don't have a credit card.
So it's not possible for them to buy the games.

The only difference between Korean GP32s and European ones is going to be the BIOS, so nobody needs to worry

i'll be damned if the korean version doesn't already do this ..
the gp32 has always had games locked to specific smc card ..
there has been a way to get around this for long time now and that cant really be fixed by anyone..

and secondly.. why the hell everyone wants the euro gp32 firmware when the only diffrence is that nice bouncing ball in the menu and that it can load fxe's without free launcher?
it still sucks monkeyballs as much as the orginal menu..
and the mp3&movie player aint integrated in menu.. they come on cd as fxe..

we had discussion of this in irc already and noone believed me that the bios part of firmware didn't have any changes..
hope you guys do >_<

//markus p

I think development costs for whole new system (which everybody talks about -new encrption, incompatible bios, even no usb support-) can cost more than features itself.

I think mitsui just bougt the distribution rights and paint the machine to pink,blue or green and start to sell. that's all.

About new bios. When I bought my gp32 (before mitsui release was announced) a "new bios" rumour was already stared. So, new bios isn't really prepared for european release.

Take care!

Flack posted on Oct 8 2003 at 03:15 PM said:
Besides, I don't think you can call the Gamecube profitable from any angle. I'm pretty sure there's more than $99 worth of parts in there.
Actually, (assuming my information is accurate, which it could not be) the gamecube has precisely £26 worth of bits to it in actual costs to make. It's sold at a BIIIG profit... And still at a reasonable price :)

Yes, but you're forgetting about the price of the labour needed to put it together.

Although, most of the labour probably comes from countries like Mexico where they pay girls several cents a day to do work putting the chips together that will make them half-blind by the time they're 25. ;)

Tobriand posted on Oct 11 2003 at 06:39 AM said:
Flack posted on Oct 8 2003 at 03:15 PM said:
Besides, I don't think you can call the Gamecube profitable from any angle. I'm pretty sure there's more than $99 worth of parts in there.
Actually, (assuming my information is accurate, which it could not be) the gamecube has precisely £26 worth of bits to it in actual costs to make. It's sold at a BIIIG profit... And still at a reasonable price :)
And then shipping, marketing, storage. Theres other overheads to account for as well as the parts.

Back