Interesting article about Intel's upcoming Haswell/Mobile Gaming

Low power Haswell on the cheap? I doubt that. Sure, you get integrated graphics, but that doesn't stop the chip itself from being fairly expensive. Look at what 17W "Core" IBs cost:

i7-3667U: $346

i7-3517U: $346

i7-3517UE: $330

i5-3317U: $225

i5-3427U: $220

i3-3217UE: $261

i3-3217U: $225

You can get Celerons and Pentiums for less, but they have weaker GPUs and no turbo boost, a trend I expect to continue with Haswell.

The claims regarding the Dynamix software sound like BS to me, I'm highly skeptical that there isn't a massive problem or catch with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low power Haswell on the cheap? I doubt that. Sure, you get integrated graphics, but that doesn't stop the chip itself from being fairly expensive. Look at what 17W "Core" IBs cost:

i7-3667U: $346

i7-3517U: $346

i7-3517UE: $330

i5-3317U: $225

i5-3427U: $220

i3-3217UE: $261

i3-3217U: $225

You can get Celerons and Pentiums for less, but they have weaker GPUs and no turbo boost, a trend I expect to continue with Haswell.

The claims regarding the Dynamix software sound like BS to me, I'm highly skeptical that there isn't a massive problem or catch with them.

now that intel processor are more and more confronted to ARM their price have to drop if they won't lose big parts of the market... I wouldn't extrapolate the next processor price on the previous price... through they'll prolly stay on the expensive side...

Intel has Atom to compete with ARM SoCs. Look at the die area of Atom SoCs vs IB (Haswell will be bigger). Intel isn't making these different parts so they can sell them all in the same price ranges. And ARM SoCs really aren't putting pressure on Haswell, it's probably more the other way around. You'll pay a premium to get Haswell in tablets over Atom and ARM. Don't see why that'll change.

Especially if we're talking about the GT3 part. Not only is it getting bigger CPU cores than IB, but over twice as many GPU execution units and a big slab of embedded DRAM. We're talking a huge die area increase, meaning a huge manufacturing cost increase, and you expect it to cost less than IB?

Intel has Atom to compete with ARM SoCs.

yes and no, the real competition only started with things like AMD going ARM and windows 8 in my opinion...

AMD is struggling to compete with custom x86 cores following decades of experience and you expect Intel to be threatened now that they're talking about licensing standard ARMv8 cores? And since they've only announced aspirations for servers what relevance does this have on pricing for parts with high end IGPs?

IMO Windows 8 is a bigger blow to ARM than Intel because I see x86 tablet share growing much more from Windows 8 than ARM tablet share will grow from Windows RT. Simply because RT doesn't offer enough over iOS and Android, while Windows 8 at least offers legacy support and higher end processors.

I completely agree, but I can imagine some push from AMD for desktop machine with ARM processor and windows 8 RT...

Atom was not really in competition with ARM processor, it was just a way to occupy a part of the market to avoid vast adoption of netbook with ARM and linux on them in my opinion, there was no real competition, thus no aggressive prices

Medfield has been way more competitive across the board, including in pricing (or so we're led to believe given some really cheap Medfield phones). Intel can do this since they're about the same sizes as ARM SoCs. With Haswell the situation is entirely different. The netbook market has been dwindling, which is just as well because that was one of the lowest margin computer markets around. Windows 8 tablets have been much higher margin so far.

Back