Interested In Being A Game Programmer...

'jsmtux' said:
I think i'm going to try to implement de "thing that shoots arrows with a cord attached" or however it is called :D
Um, a grappling hook?
So you can shoot at a ceiling and hang from it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the harpoon gun ^^.
Its a weapon , a way of moving around and when cordless it can be used as a ladder maker or just a way to pin people to walls.

IT IS the multipurpose weapon.

THAT's it!!!!!
harpoon!! Thanks!!

It won't be easy :D

No, but it might be possible. I think there was a homebrew GBA game based on a similar harpoon concept. It was called longARM or something, a joke about the GBA's processor.

Are you going to add any more developers or set up a source repository some day?

edit: Now, I was confused how the sperm were involved, but now there's a fetus?
:/

'jsmtux' said:
Hi all!

I've been working hard recently with gonzo's artwork and I think i have something playable. This artwork won't be the final but i'm using it while i don't have a new one.

Please; if you use linux download the game and tell me if it works and what you think about it
CODE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F44NCMLR
@torpor: I know nothing about openGL ES and it would take me too long to learn because I want to finish this, but thaks for the idea anyway

The jumping feals wrong, it should be more dynamic, i.e. if the jump button is quickly tapped, don't jump as high.
Jumping would also feel much more natural if it was based on the laws of physics. i.e. you don't jump up, hit an invisible wall then come down again ;)

Also, the game is resolution dependent, so doesn't work terribly well with my tiling window manager ;)

lulzfish: Read The entire topic you'll see what is what.

For the jumping thing ... he's supposed to jump relatively high ... see the included animation in the RAR i posted. ( the one with the pink background )
It illustrates how you can jump different height and length.

@lulzfish: about the harpoon thanks for the tip; I'll try to look for that game, maybe it'll give me some ideas; but I think i already know how to implement it quite efectively.
About adding more developers... i think that by now i can handle it, maybe i'll set up a source code repository but, as the source is not in english and not even in spanish i don't think that much people would like to contribute.
For now, i'll periodically release what i have done up to the moment along with the source. It depends for how long i'll be able to mantain all of it and implement the needed features :)

@hessiess: thanks for the feedback! you're right; jumping is a bit too crappy. I've already tweaked it so that it jumps more or less according to the time you keep pressing. Make it more realistic is in my to-do list; for now i prefer to implement the harpoon as it's going to be a challenge; i want to be sure i can implement the most difficult features before going on.
About the resolution, i hadn't thouhgt about it, i just used pandora's maybe i should do it resolution independent before the project gets bigger... i'll think about it

pd: mmm I think I should read the whole topic too; I got confused with the fetus thing :D

could you put that file on filefront or something megaupload sucks... especially over dialup also it seems to only be 24kb you could just post it in the beta area of the forum limit is 1mb

ok, here it is:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46961

it's exactly the same version as the one in megaupload; I haven't changed anything to it

'jsmtux' said:
ok, here it is:
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46961

it's exactly the same version as the one in megaupload; I haven't changed anything to it

Nice! Works well for me also... I managed to get to the other side, did I win?
Whats next on the features list?

Thanks for the feedback!!
I`ve been quite busy this weekend with exams; but i`ll soon finish the harpoon and improve the AI. Then I'll upload another alpha.
Then i`ll add some new things to the map; like buttons an doors and so on
Later I will add blood and make a complete level. :D

2djdheg.jpg

Vr Training style!

i've bin playing alot of super mario world recently , its really inspiring for this game ^^.

@gruso: Ohh no , i can't really start animating alot for this game , maybe in some spare time i wish to spend time on something else than zomb'd ^^.

Iprice just sent me a sweet sweet title screen for it , YUMMY !

Mr.Gonzo try ruff'n' tumble on Amiga
CODE

http://hol.abime.net/1292

@Gonzo: yes; I'm currently using the new sprites, but I forgot to upload them and just uploaded the old ones. Vr training style looks really good. I'll see what I can do

@gruso: about more detailed-exploding-heads it's something I plan to eventually add along with the blood as a really simple particle system

@Yod4z: Yeah the game looks fun !
After playing some Super mario... i remembered about REAL platforming.
So it'll be less linear than this game though.

I want moving platforms!
I want stuff to climb!
Stuff than can squash you!
I WANT LAVA AND DEATH PITS.

ahahah

Back