Interested In Being A Game Programmer...

I just came back from cuba And moved into my new Appartment.
Got no phone and no internet yet; Im writing from the job.
I hope i will have internet back at my home in a week or so.

I'll prepare some new stuff by then...
And i got no coder also. MEH.

bin missing you guys :'(
aha

i want this project to live to.
Like many of my other babies.
If i don't get a coder soon enough i might just go on with my other projects waiting for some good news for Nail.

Point n click zombie survival. ( for ppl that reads my other threads )
Animated series.
Maybe pushing my pixepop thing for a serie of Huge pixelised action mini games.

I know that people will be more willing to work on those projects with me.
since its less work.
( well not for the animation stuff since ill be doing everything )

AND its official everybody i will have internet back at home in a week.
For now. im freezing my ass in an obscure internet cafe.

F*** Canada
F*** The cold.

Im out.
-Gonzo

Mr.Gonzo said:
i want this project to live to.
Like many of my other babies.
If i don't get a coder soon enough i might just go on with my other projects waiting for some good news for Nail.

Point n click zombie survival. ( for ppl that reads my other threads )
Animated series.
Maybe pushing my pixepop thing for a serie of Huge pixelised action mini games.

I know that people will be more willing to work on those projects with me.
since its less work.
( well not for the animation stuff since ill be doing everything )

AND its official everybody i will have internet back at home in a week.
For now. im freezing my ass in an obscure internet cafe.

F*** Canada
F*** The cold.

Im out.
-Gonzo
I thought the forum was missing something! It will be nice to have you back, I really want to see this game get off the starter blocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
... it really really sucks that I cant code. I would be honored to help you.

Is there really not one Coder here, that could help our Mr. Gonzo?
There must be, there has to be someone around here!

I'm making my own engine right now--if you can't find a coder by the time I'm done building the framework for it I could probably just make a fork of my engine for this project.

It might be awhile though, as I've been known to disappear for months at a time due to being too busy. I suck at managing my time. >.>

During waiting for a coder, Mr.Gonzo could finish all graphics and Animations for this Game so this part would be ready, when the coder start his work. :D

Well i could but its not the most stimulating thing to code for something that might never see the day. Becuse its TOO MUCH work.
Its alot of work for me too. and im only ready to spend that much time on a project if somebody is willing to do the same for the coding.

Right now at home ( since i got no internet ).
I will be making a few mock ups of game ideas i had. ( the one i was working on this morning is called... PIXEGEARS!! i will leave your imagination find out what its about )
And i will show it to you guys when i have internet back at home.

Im still pilling up ideas For this game right now though. don't worry i really want it to see the day too.

Its fun to see how much the community cares about the project.
Shows me that im not the only caring about my shit ^^.

-Mr.Gonzo ( hiding at work to talk to you guys )

How about a condom as boss in the sperm level?
Like a big moving wall that shoots spermicide!
Has to be clearly condom shaped though, with a tip.
And how about that:
Nail finds a big machine somewhere that is called the "Like-Things-Should-Be-ifyer" which he can put one of his weapons in, but only one, because afterwards it's destroyed by some ultramean endboss guy. The weapon that gets thrown in however gets ultimately more cool, like e.g. his close combat weapon was a butter knife and comes out as a ninja sword (just as an example). That would make playing the game again more fun.
This could do for the last level, where Nail already has all his weapons, but by this, can alter one.

Edit1:
At night I dream about being your developer :p
But seriously, I loved the Metal Slug series and have played every game you mentioned in this thread so far except Contra.
I hope this will make it to a running version!!

Awe man I'd totally help you out. =( But I'm only starting with Python, and I doubt that the other API's/programming languages I know will be on the Pandora, so I'm in a bit of a rut. Sorry!

'Skofo' said:
Awe man I'd totally help you out. =( But I'm only starting with Python, and I doubt that the other API's/programming languages I know will be on the Pandora, so I'm in a bit of a rut. Sorry!
Coming from an experienced C/C++ programmer of about 6 years of very regular programming. Python is the worst language I've ever had to lay my hands on. I thought that PHP was bad...

I recently had to write a model exporter for Blender. The API was in Python. So I took the plunge. Syntax was very similar to C. So I pretty much wrote as if I was writing C, so far so good. I hit "Run Python Script". Blender freaks out. It seems, that I didn't have the exact number of spacings for a certain number of lines. WTF?

Why the hell should the language be in control of how I want to space out my work? No way to end a line? What if I've got a huge function and huge parameters and I can't split it up into different lines?! I need to count how many times I press tab, what the hell?

Seriously. Morale of the story is, learn a real programming language. C won't be much harder to learn than python. You will be able to hit the ground running and run your apps on the Pandora without any extra effort. Simply learning Python will give you horrible habits, similar to how VB is a horrible starting language.

Python is a joke.

'Butterman' said:
'Skofo' said:
Coming from an experienced C/C++ programmer of about 6 years of very regular programming. Python is the worst language I've ever had to lay my hands on. I thought that PHP was bad...

I recently had to write a model exporter for Blender. The API was in Python. So I took the plunge. Syntax was very similar to C. So I pretty much wrote as if I was writing C, so far so good. I hit "Run Python Script". Blender freaks out. It seems, that I didn't have the exact number of spacings for a certain number of lines. WTF?

Why the hell should the language be in control of how I want to space out my work? No way to end a line? What if I've got a huge function and huge parameters and I can't split it up into different lines?! I need to count how many times I press tab, what the hell?

Seriously. Morale of the story is, learn a real programming language. C won't be much harder to learn than python. You will be able to hit the ground running and run your apps on the Pandora without any extra effort. Simply learning Python will give you horrible habits, similar to how VB is a horrible starting language.

Python is a joke.

It really isn't, if you analyze the program syntax. The tabs are Python's equivalent of braces to define blocks in C/C++ and Java. It gets rid of those (as they're pretty annoying), and just replaces them with indenting to define the beginning and end of a code block. Also, you can do multi-line in Python, just use "\" at the end of a line to let the interpreter/compiler know that the same statement is continued on the next line. Same way that other interpreted scripts (like Makefiles, for example) do multi-line.

(Sorry for the O.T.)

'Butterman' said:
'Skofo' said:
Awe man I''d totally help you out. =( But I''m only starting with Python, and I doubt that the other API''s/programming languages I know will be on the Pandora, so I''m in a bit of a rut. Sorry!

Python is a joke.

Really. Python is a joke because you don't like it / can't program in it? You really can't say a language is bad just because it does not have the same conventions that you have grown attached to. Python's syntax is designed to encourage good programming practices (read more at python.org).

Seriously. Morale of the story is, don't start flaming about a language many people love just because you don't like it. People will just take you for an ass.And what's a "real" programming language anyway?

BTW, you can split statements on many lines by escaping the line breaks.

If you can live with the rules of indentation, python is a lovely programming language, with some very nice features. For example, I love doing something like:
CODE
coords = [0.0, 0.0, 0.0]
(x, y, z) = coords

Python is a much more expressive language than C(++), which can save you a lot of typing. The trade-off is losing a little freedom and some performance.

Edit: Can't wait for Nail's Adventure, by the way.

Back