Intended Use Of The Pandora

how are you mainly going to use it?

• OLD SKOOL pc gaming (doom, quake, HOMM etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HOMEBREW gaming (original IP's from community)

• PERSONAL ASSISTANT (calendar, email, documents)

• OTHER (something not listed, explain in thread)

• Total voters

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
I had a nice idea this morning, wanted to gauge people's intended use of the pandora. I'm expanding on a quiz I took in another thread, wanted to break it down some more and see what everyone wants to do with their pandora when they get it.

I understand some if not all will want to do more than one or all the above. But I'm looking for the majority of your intended use. Try to keep things serious. -Cheers-

EDIT:
Added programming (i also thought about that as I was driving to work)
Made a change to select multiple answers, please don't go crazy and just select all 8 please ;)

I voted 'mobile internet device', but chats are not particularly high up on the list (although there'll be a little of that too). I want my Pandora to let me leave my laptop at home more, that's also what I use my N800 for, and I expect the Pandora to be even better at it.

I bought it to mostly use as a portable SNES and Playstation. I'm definitely going to use it for more than that though, like instant messaging and internet, etc.

I like to use Pandora as my main computer. I can use notebook from my job, but it is tiring carrying it every day to work and back to home. So I like little small device for every use. It is means that I like use it as MID _AND_ text and data processing. So I really like that Pandora has keyboard and USB host for plugging keyboard and mice.

Actually I take Pandora as subject of my bachelor dissertation. So this poll is quite good for me. But I missing 2 votes:
- PC companion (use together with main PC when traveling, in bed or on vacancy, instead of big notebook or simple PDA)
- use as main PC (not have another PC and use it even for office like work)

Is possible to add those 2 votes please?

EDIT: I use it for playing games too :)

I voted "OLD SKOOL game console emulation (atari, mame, c64 amiga etc)" even though the C64, Amiga, BBC etc. are not gaming consoles, but that looked like the answer you wanted from me - although most of the other options apply and, to be honest, for just that one purpose I would probably stick with my F-200.

I voted other, since there isn't an all of the above option. I realise you're talking about what I'd be using it for most of the time. I'd be using it for 1,2,3,4, and 6 pretty equally. I think you forgot the coding on the go option, which I'm sure would get one or two votes.

You should have put an all of the above as I plan to use it for everything I can possibly do on it. So I picked "other"

Edit: seen people after me say they voted for everything, it would only let me choose 1.

I'm a little confused as to the difference between "RETRO" and "OLD SKOOL" gaming, or why MAME is listed as a gaming console (it's emulating multiple old arcade systems, not consoles), but I voted for both anyway.

I voted for everything, and I think you forgot "Personal media player," for movies, music, and images (that was my "other" vote). I'm sure that'll be a popular use for it. ;)

I those quite some of the list but also other and that other being a stereo component to connect my Network HD with mp3s to my OLD SKOOL stereo set *yummy*

My Other: I hope to use mine as a MythTV frontend. I use my netbook for this at the moment (when washing up or lying in bed) but you can never have too many mythfrontends I say!

Mainly though, I think I will just tinker! Perhaps, when my game is completed I may end up playing that a lot, depending on interest from other players that is...

OH, portable video is another use I think.

And portable SNES - multiplayer Mario Kart here I come! (assuming I can hook up 2 WII controllers)

I just can't wait :) :)

I was a bit torn, so many uses and hard to pick one. Ultimately I went with personal assistant and homebrew gaming. I need something pocketable to take ad-hoc notes (my phone currently serves this purpose, but it's on its way out), but I also like the idea of seeing the creativity of the community (and adding to that creativity myself, eventually)

I had to end up choosing most options including other, as I'll also be using it as a media device, watching stuff more so than music.

1. OLD SKOOL game console emulation (atari, mame, c64 amiga etc)
  2. RETRO game console emulation (NES, SNES, GENESIS etc)
  3. OLD SKOOL pc gaming (doom, quake, HOMM etc)
...... why differentiate those, and noting that doesn't make a lot of sense. (Unless you want to be really anal and clarify that (1) means Atari ST and Atari 800, but not include Atari 2600, to suggest computers more than consoles.. but then including MAME makes even less sense. Or if you differentiate Atari from NES somehow..... )

Crazy talk :) When you make polls, be clear :)

jeff

skeezix said:
  1. OLD SKOOL game console emulation (atari, mame, c64 amiga etc)
  2. RETRO game console emulation (NES, SNES, GENESIS etc)
  3. OLD SKOOL pc gaming (doom, quake, HOMM etc)
...... why differentiate those, and noting that doesn't make a lot of sense. (Unless you want to be really anal and clarify that (1) means Atari ST and Atari 800, but not include Atari 2600, to suggest computers more than consoles.. but then including MAME makes even less sense. Or if you differentiate Atari from NES somehow..... )

Crazy talk :) When you make polls, be clear :)

jeff

I thought about breaking it down to 8 16 32 64 bit systems but that would have probally just been too much... I tried to clump them into generic generations.... those made in the 80s & 90s and those before. IMO there's a huge difference in graphics and depth of play in those catagory. (astroids and pacman compared to mario bro's and zelda) I'm not huge on arcades (mame) but when I think of them I think 70's I'm sorry if I wasn't being specific enuff.

Also I probally could have added next gen... playstation, N64, dreamcast... but meh.. u all seem to get what I meant. And I probally should have said retro pc gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how to answer. I guess I could tick all the boxes.

I plan on treating it like a tiny computer I can carry around.
If my desktop is my workbench, then my Pandora will be my swiss army knife.

Dimacus said:
Altough my usage will probably include most of the options at one time or another, my main interests in the Pandora is developing for it, on it, homebrew games and internet usage on the go.

When you say developing for it, do you mean on it? (As in the poll)
Personally I'll do a bit of development actually on it physically, not prolonged periods at a time, but with a decent context aware editor it will give me a chance to do a bit on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably do at least some programming ON the Pandora. Like when I'm on the bus, or otherwise away from my main system.

I can see myself doing all of the above, with the possible exception of programming - I'm not much of a programmer, and I would think it would be even more difficult with such a small keyboard.

Other: "use as a portable media player," for portable music and videos, not necessarily MythTV (although that would be nice, but I don't think MythTV's huge recordings play well over Wi-Fi - maybe you could find some transcoding settings that worked, but it would probably take quite a bit of effort and setup), but as a general media player.

umm, all of the above? I'll at least try everything. Half the fun for me is seeing what all it's capable of first hand.

Back