Installing Widnwos With Swappable Drives?

king_loz

Still Fresh
Ive got a computer with swapable drives, i.e. you can only have either the CD ROM or the floppy in at one time. How do I install windows 95? Ive formatted the C Drive, so now what? Do I Have to FDISK as well? Can i download windows 3.1, and if so where from? any help would be fantastic, im really stuck!

you mean the drives slip in and out? can't you just take out and put in when needed, if not then just take the comp case off and attach the second drive to the band and powersupply and then you can use both when the case is open, then take it off your comp and the computer back together

No, its an old IBm latop, and you flip open the keyboard to add/remove drives. Another problem is I cant work out how the ehll you install CDROM drivers, as they are installed from a floppy, but the CD isnt peresnt when the program detects as the floppy is in inplace of it. It would perhaps be easier to download another OS that i can get on a floppy. Anyone know of a free OS that will fit on a floppy?

When you format the harddrive, do it with the /s tag.. This will put the bootable and system files onto your harddrive. Then copy the other files from the floppy onto the harddrive.

You can now boot from the HDD and it will detect your CDRom.

All this would be unecessary if your MB has support for booting off CDRom as the Win95 CD is bootable I think. Have you checked this?

Back