Installing A New Mother Board In My Psp

purple_goat

Website
purplegoat25.deviantart.com
Hi Everyone,

As some of you know I bricked my psp and I have trying to get it modchipped..
and the only reliable place is out of stock..sooo.. I have decided to buy a mother board for my psp (this one) and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to install it (I not a total n00b, I built a computer from scratch)

Thanks in advance :)

From Hong Kong, eh? I don't trust it. <_<

Have you tried to find a PSP with a "K" in the serial number? This is a 2.71 model, and you can easily down/side/upgrade it to 3.10OE A .... there's GOT to be maybe a used one, with some older firmware on it ... somewhere! :unsure:

I'm starting to feel bad for your situation :(

nah it's cool (although thanks for your concern, knowing you it's probably sarcastic :lol: )
I expect to have a 3.10 oe-a psp by the end of april :)

also telco,

would you please explain upgrading and downgrading with oe firmware
thanks

Can't you just buy a new PSP from a retailer, put your bricked one in the box, and return it? Claiming it came broken or something?

purple_goat said:

I know I'm not TelcoLou (and if I thought about it, I might be grateful for that... I know he probably is :D ), but let me offer up a couple links I found useful when I did the 3.03 -> 1.50 -> 3.10OE-A migration...

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=40046

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about17935.html

http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title...A_Install_Guide

and of course, you'll need this link:

http://www.dark-alex.org/

Note: It could have been just me - I was kinda rev'd and wanted to get rolling and maybe I was reading too quickly - but I didn't think that any of these offered a "definitive" step-by-step guide... My suggestion would be to read through as much stuff as you can find and plan everything very carefully before you start; get all the software you need, and make up your own step-by-step instruction sheet so you have it all very clearly mapped in your mind before you sit down to do it. Anyway, I found that watching the custom firmware generate itself on my PSP via DA's code using Sony's 1.50 and 3.10 firmwares was an interesting experience :blink: - okay, it's not really that complex, and everything ran very, very smoothly for me, but a wrong step means you're looking for yet another PSP... :lol:

It does take some effort, and maybe results in a little stress, but it is definitely worth it when it all comes together!! :D

Titcher said:
Can't you just buy a new PSP from a retailer, put your bricked one in the box, and return it? Claiming it came broken or something?

Sure, anyone can do that... of course, not everyone is an amoral troglodyte with a grossly over-developed sense of entitlement, so not everyone can live with their conscience if they do that, but if it works for you, you have my sympathies...

Last edited by a moderator:
Purple_goat ... I wasn't sarcastic.

I'm acerbic, but only in a reactive way ... it's theraputic; quiets the many voices in my head. :unsure:

... there's a 1.5 PSP in the market section here, but it'll likely be gone soon.

jimid2 said:
purple_goat said:

I know I'm not TelcoLou (and if I thought about it, I might be grateful for that... I know he probably is :D ), but let me offer up a couple links I found useful when I did the 3.03 -> 1.50 -> 3.10OE-A migration...

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=40046

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about17935.html

http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title...A_Install_Guide

and of course, you'll need this link:

http://www.dark-alex.org/

Note: It could have been just me - I was kinda rev'd and wanted to get rolling and maybe I was reading too quickly - but I didn't think that any of these offered a "definitive" step-by-step guide... My suggestion would be to read through as much stuff as you can find and plan everything very carefully before you start; get all the software you need, and make up your own step-by-step instruction sheet so you have it all very clearly mapped in your mind before you sit down to do it. Anyway, I found that watching the custom firmware generate itself on my PSP via DA's code using Sony's 1.50 and 3.10 firmwares was an interesting experience :blink: - okay, it's not really that complex, and everything ran very, very smoothly for me, but a wrong step means you're looking for yet another PSP... :lol:

It does take some effort, and maybe results in a little stress, but it is definitely worth it when it all comes together!! :D

Titcher said:

Sure, anyone can do that... of course, not everyone is an amoral troglodyte with a grossly over-developed sense of entitlement, so not everyone can live with their conscience if they do that, but if it works for you, you have my sympathies...

thank you so much!!!
:)

tho.. I was asking more about un-bricking if you have oe firmware (recover?)

EDIT: @telco, glad to hear you were serious :)
and thanks for the heads-up but I prefer to do it myself :)

purple_goat said:
thank you so much!!!
:)

tho.. I was asking more about un-bricking if you have oe firmware (recover?)
I'm pretty sure there's an unbricking tutorial or FAQ in the psp-hacks tutorials section (see the link above) - check that site out... :)

Titcher said:
Whole moral thing aside(we who play with emulators shall not throw stones at others) -

Take a look at your PSP box where the barcode is. I'm looking at mine right now. Now look at the PSP serial number. Notice anything? They match.

The PSP serial number is imprinted on the box. This won't work for this very reason.

Classic Gamer said:
Titcher said:
Whole moral thing aside(we who play with emulators shall not throw stones at others) -

Take a look at your PSP box where the barcode is. I'm looking at mine right now. Now look at the PSP serial number. Notice anything? They match.

The PSP serial number is imprinted on the box. This won't work for this very reason.

You could always switch cases where the serial number is printed right?

purple_goat said:
nah it's cool (although thanks for your concern, knowing you it's probably sarcastic :lol: )

also telco,

thanks

By the end of april you should have 3.30 oe-a :)

Steve-O said:
purple_goat said:

also telco,

thanks

By the end of april you should have 3.30 oe-a :)

maybe if I install new balls to :lol:

Classic Gamer said:
You know, I should probably just walk away from this, but... :D

I don't understand why some people buy into the {megalopolist}AA speil that downloading a ROM (or movie, or song, or whatever) == THEFT

Because it doesn't. In fact, no criminal code in the world that I'm aware of makes that equation. It's copyright infringement. Period. You have not robbed anyone of any material goods, you have not taken their money, or deprived them of property.

Fraudulently exchanging damaged goods - goods you no doubt damaged yourself by your own carelessness or stupidity - at a retail outlet is theft. And the law recognizes that as well. Yes, I know Walmart is a monstrous and heartless conglomerate that probably deserves whatever happens to it. And I have little sympathy for Sony corporate. But, taking something that doesn't belong to you or defrauding a company of money that is not rightfully yours is THEFT.

So, there's a legal difference between these two actions, certainly. There is also, imho, a moral difference.

Before I continue, let me say that I STRONGLY support the right of artists to benefit from their work. As a musician and programmer, I am intimately aware of the purpose of copyright - I'm more a hired-gun/contractor type, but many of my nearest and dearest (including my wife) absolutely survive on the sale of various rights to their programs and music, so I know how important it is to the people that create media that can be reproduced digitally that the use of these programs be paid for. And, of course, I support them with my $$$

HOWEVER, playing the ROMS of video games that have not been available for purchase on the market for 10 years or more does not trouble my conscience. Notwithstanding the fact that I have boxes filled with old videogames I can't be bothered to pull out and play on the original hardware any more, the truth is if someone releases a commercial version of a ROM that I've played and liked, I will absolutely buy it. Metal Slug Anthology for the PSP and Final Fantasy VI for the GBA are the latest examples of this, but it's a rule of thumb I've lived by for years...

Now, the point is that I resent having my actions equated with out-and-out theft. It's an insipid, "black & white" view of the issue. I'm sure that over time our copyright laws will change to meet the challenges of intellectual property rights in a digital millenium. In the mean time, those of us with an ounce of brains and a conscience will continue treat copyrights with respect while respecting our personal rights to fair use, and we'll do so on our own recognizance...

purple_goat said:
I installed the motherboard fine, but in the process the latch for the backlight broke and I can't figure a way to have it hold in, any suggestions?
got a picture?? dont know what the latch / area looks like but have you tried Super Glue??

I don't want to use glue..
but I might try tape :) thanks
(here is the best pic I could get)

EDIT: it is the one that is not plugged in, right corner in a green box)

EDIT2: now -> doesn't work on the d-pad :(

Back