Release Ink Spill

kwh2010

Still Fresh
This is my first attempt at packaging a python game in a PND file (I followed mcobit's packaging guide, thanks!)

This is a flood it clone. It's a bit like the game Color Flood on the n900.

Source is from here

501rw3.png

I just added Pandora button controls, set 800x480 resolution (with fullscreen/windowed toggle), tweaked default colour values (red and orange looked too similar), removed flood animation as I think instant colour change looks better, removed some delays on reset game, removed browser launch in source and in settings png image file, reduced win/lose game border flash to two times

This doesn't save settings or anything just like the original source.

Pandora Controls:

Use stylus to choose colour at bottom of screen

Start: Reset game

Select: Settings

Button A: Select colour (alternative to touchscreen/mouse/nub)

Button Y: Toggle fullscreen/windowed

Button X or Esc: Quit game

EDIT 08/03/2011: added fixed PND file with fixed info file and some of Tempel's suggestions

inkspill.pnd

Attachments

• inkspill.pnd
    100.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty fun game! No Pandora for testing, but the extracted files runs on my desktop. A couple notes on the packaging, if I may:

1. No need to put it in a tarball. If you want to include that text file, you can put it inside the PND, then add it to the PXML's info element.
  2. If this game doesn't save anything in the home directory, there's no need for the "export HOME=..." in inkspill.sh. And if you get rid of the export HOME, you could get rid of inkspill.sh entirely. Just change the exec command in the PXML to point to inkspill.py, and make sure to add "#!/usr/bin/python" as the first line of inkspill.py.
  3. Speaking of the exec command, putting the "./" in the front of the script name isn't necessary, and may actually make your PND not run. Again, I have no Pandora for testing, so I don't know if it breaks, but I do know it's not necessary.
  4. (self-promotion) As a Python dev, you might appreciate distPND to automate PND building. You just need to write a standard Distutils setup script and set a few config parameters, and then a PND can be built with one command.

Keep up the good work.

Pretty fun game! No Pandora for testing, but the extracted files runs on my desktop. A couple notes on the packaging, if I may:

1. No need to put it in a tarball. If you want to include that text file, you can put it inside the PND, then add it to the PXML's info element.

2. If this game doesn't save anything in the home directory, there's no need for the "export HOME=..." in inkspill.sh. And if you get rid of the export HOME, you could get rid of inkspill.sh entirely. Just change the exec command in the PXML to point to inkspill.py, and make sure to add "#!/usr/bin/python" as the first line of inkspill.py.

3. Speaking of the exec command, putting the "./" in the front of the script name isn't necessary, and may actually make your PND not run. Again, I have no Pandora for testing, so I don't know if it breaks, but I do know it's not necessary.
  4. (self-promotion) As a Python dev, you might appreciate distPND to automate PND building. You just need to write a standard Distutils setup script and set a few config parameters, and then a PND can be built with one command.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the very useful feedback Tempel and the link to your PND utility, I'll make the suggested changes and reupload a new PND in a bit!

I was wondering why it wouldn't pick up my inkspill.txt file in the documentation menu.

EDIT: couldn't get it to launch when I put #!/usr/bin/python at the top of inkspill.py and made inkspill.py executable so for now I've left in inkspill.sh until I work out what I was doing wrong.

Back