Increase Avatar Size Limit

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Would it be possible to increase the size limit on the avatars that can be uploaded on here. It would be possible to do without them looking unsightly, since the designated space for personal profiles on the left of here is about:

<---------- This Wide------------>

and avatar limit:

<---This Wide-->

which means that the size could be extended up to:

<--------This Much---------->

Which is quite a lot.

Thanks in advance.

You forced me to destroy the artistry of my probably-originally-from-4chan avatar! Graaah! :D

101_4623b126ccc4a.jpg

I could handle some cropping, but the amount of shrinking needed simply crushed my spirit or something.

But doing that then increases the amount of bandwidth used for onsite hosted avatars which is a total waste of bandwidth, especially if people have animated avatars (not having a dig at you).

Not to mention it's waste of other peoples bandwidth that then downloads them, there are still plenty of people around on dialup, i know shocking isnt it :p I think maybe 128x128 max is about spot on if anything is going to be increased. Then again i have no issue with the size limit of avatars right now ;)

Bandwidth is a legitimate concern, so as a compromise, maybe limit the size increase to off-site hosted avatars. Just a suggestion.

Yorper said:
But doing that then increases the amount of bandwidth used for onsite hosted avatars which is a total waste of bandwidth, especially if people have animated avatars (not having a dig at you).

Not to mention it's waste of other peoples bandwidth that then downloads them, there are still plenty of people around on dialup, i know shocking isnt it :p I think maybe 128x128 max is about spot on if anything is going to be increased. Then again i have no issue with the size limit of avatars right now ;)
If you'll have noticed though, a lot of us have our avatars hosted offsite, which is how it should be, tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yorper said:

100*100 would be better than what we have now even. I'm not complaining too much but I think it would be beneficial to have a larger dimensional limit to the avatars. All modern browsers use caching, so the bandwidth increase would be monumentally small in the long term.

What's the need for larger images? People come here for the posts, not for the avatars, and not for the signatures. I think 80x109 is enough, more than that and we'll have sitcom episodes GIF'ed for our bandwidth's pleasure, as if we aren't close to that already :lol:

Samba Pa Ti said:
this is a good idea.
That avatar is pure 100% win.

Why are you guys so concerned about bandwidth? The size of each avatar is already limited to 10kb, and it's fine with me if that goes all the way down to 5kb so long as the pixel size is upped. The full original size of my current avatar was 5.22 KB and that's at a resolution way higher than the 128x128 or so that I want.

Mudi said:
Why are you guys so concerned about bandwidth? The size of each avatar is already limited to 10kb, and it's fine with me if that goes all the way down to 5kb so long as the pixel size is upped. The full original size of my current avatar was 5.22 KB and that's at a resolution way higher than the 128x128 or so that I want.
Hear freakin' hear.

Samba Pa Ti said:
this is a good idea.
Your goddamn pie of an avatar is over 750kb in size!

Mudi said:
Why are you guys so concerned about bandwidth?
My ISP, while broadband, decided to impose a monthly 2GB bandwidth limit in order to introduce their "limitless plan", which is nearly twice as expensive as my current one. Downloading 750kb avatars is the equivalent of viewing ~15 average web pages filled with lots of content. Hence why I can't stand avatar movies!

sam fisher said:
Addddddddddd BLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOKCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
Yes mam, unfortunately I already have to download it once (most of it anyway) until I adblock it, which on average means all the damage it would do anyway. :p

Larger avatars means less space for something worthwhile on the screen.

Alex.: Have you tried any of the pre-built filtersets? I use the Filterset.G Updater extension and it automatically adds a huge list of adverts.

Better idea, I think the designated space for personal profiles on the left should be changed from:

to

<---This Wide-->

Then the avatar size would fit perfectly.

Orkie said:
Larger avatars means less space for something worthwhile on the screen.

Alex.: Have you tried any of the pre-built filtersets? I use the Filterset.G Updater extension and it automatically adds a huge list of adverts.
Orkie, most large avatars are posted on imageshack or photobucket. I don't want to completely block those sites. I do use Adblock Plus to get rid of all ads though :)

mrsnature said:
Better idea, I think the designated space for personal profiles on the left should be changed from:

to

<---This Wide-->

Then the avatar size would fit perfectly.

:wub: x10

Back