In a years time...

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Im off to france for 3 weeks (hurrey) and it got me wondering what new software will be out by then. By the looks of whats happened in the last 3 weeks, quite a lot (neogeo, full speed nes etc). So what about in a whole years time? What software feats will have been accomplished by then?! Hopefully snes and mega drive, but what else?

I reckon the CPS1 and roleplaying engine will have been out ages by then, and we will start seeing home grown RPG's. Loads more SDL ports too. Snes will probably be a lot faster, and PCE will have saves. I reckon quake will be available by then as well. Probably a couple of megadrive emus will be doing the rounds.Someone will probably attempt to tackle some of MAME, and maybe a slowish Amiga EMU will be in development. If the machine gets a Euro launch we will probably see some commercial games in English and other European languages. If it stays underground, probably no more games than the Koreans are releasing, and maybe some GBA ports as well. It would be nice if some native 3D games turned up as well.

If the Euro release goes well, we might see some peripherals as well, user installed FLU, TV out, mini keyboard, extra self powered storage etc, USB dongle to allow PC's to use GP RF frequencies. Maybe even a mini web browser/flash player. And perhaps even a 256MB SMC. But I guess it would have to go very well for peripheral manufactures to start making these items, they would all be relatively easy though.

And have a great holiday Dozer! I took my GP to greece earlier on in the year, and it came in really handy. Watched LOTR on the flight, listened to MP3's in the apartment before going out, and playing games on the beach, brilliant!

Wel i think the're some more emulators aviable (e.g genesis) others are running full speed (snes). The rpg kit's are ready and some homegrown rpg's will already be aviable.

The europe laucnh will probably a flop but with some help of the guys that already got a gp32 (e.g schowing the divx function) it will sell very well. Some more commercial games will be aviable (maybe even some dutch games). Probably the first things about the GP64 will be released and maybe a 256 mb or even a 512 mb smart card will be released.

GP32 is great for the plane. I went back to the US from Japan, and having a 12 hour + 2 other 2hour flights left plenty of time for games, movies, and mp3's.

moz posted on Aug 15 2003 said:
there will be full speed NES emulation in 1 years time
Litle john is almost full speed with sound on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in a years time, counter will have 500 different names on the gp32x board.

Perfect pce, genesis, snes, gb/gbc, duke port, quake port, amd a public gba emulator running at 50% speed without sound.

I think in a year's time counter will claim he's created a PS3 emulator for the GP64, while trying to convince us he's spent 2 days modifying the GP32 hardware to allow overclocking at 500Mhz with no crashing :D

But for the more real side of the future, I believe a full speed with sound SNES emu will be around, along with some other much-needed emulators like Genesis and GameBoy (we have a GBC/GB emu but it isnt perfect, plus some games are too "advanced" for the emu to catch up with at current). Also a GameBoy Advance emulator may have a public release of some sort, although chances of it being anywhere near playable speed highly unlikely, unless they make a miracle. Also hopefully another British meet-up can take place in a year's time (it should be an annual meeting), and hopefully it'll be more close to me.. :p

Back