Important - All Must Read !

Fruity

Still Fresh
I have a GP2x F100, only a few months old.

I bought a 2GB Kingston memory card which is compatible with the GP2X.

USING A CARD READER !

If I accidently tried tried to copy more than 2GB of data accross I would get the usual error message - the device is full type of thing, which is perfectly normal, but now heres the strange part, Even if I then delete some data from the card it will not be recognisable in the GP2X !

If I go into utility and look into the SD card it will look as though it's empty even though it's not.

It doesn't matter how much I try to delete stuff off the card, it still will seem blank in the GP2X !

If I Format the card and start again it will work fine (as long as I do not try to overload it again).

Isn't this weird ?!?!

I have now bought a fantastic 4GB 150x Trancend and guess what............ IT DOES THE SAME BLOODY THING !!!!!!!!!!!

What's going on ?!?!

It seems that if you attempt to put too much on any SD card it sort of locks it up for the GP2X. However it will still work fine on the PC.

It took me days to put all my emulators and roms in the correct folders.......DAYS I TELL YOU !!!!!!!! :angry:

WORD OF ADVICE :- LEAVE AT LEAST 50MB OF FREE SPACE ON YOUR CARD, JUST INCASE YOU GO OVER IT'S LIMIT !

Has anyone else come across this annoying problem?

My F200 will be arriving before 1pm tomorrow and I will try the card on that - fingers crossed.

Fruity Nutter said:
WORD OF ADVICE :- LEAVE AT LEAST 50GB OF FREE SPACE ON YOUR CARD, JUST INCASE YOU GO OVER IT'S LIMIT !
Do you think that's a little too much to leave? ;)

But, yeah, we all know the gp2x is shit at being a card reader, that's why hardly any of us do it. Instead, we buy a 99p card reader from ebay, and don't have the problem your talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fruity Nutter said:
I have now bought a fantastic 4GB 150x Trancend and guess what............ IT DOES THE SAME BLOODY THING !!!!!!!!!!! WORD OF ADVICE :- LEAVE AT LEAST 50GB OF FREE SPACE ON YOUR CARD, JUST INCASE YOU GO OVER IT'S LIMIT !
How does one leave 50GB of free space on a 4GB card? 4th dimensional file system? That's awesome! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The poster is obviously using some kind of compression from the future - maybe thats his problem?

yeah sounds like the gph sd driver is to blame? definitely the best thing is to just avoid using the gp2x as your (primary) card reader. good to know though. and it's good to hear that a format fixed the problem for you, at least you don't have any dead cards now.

I've been always using gp2x as the card reader as I find it more convenient and always have space up to 100-150 mb on my sd card and never had any problems with it.
I have always been trying to leave enough space for new anime episodes and savegames so haven't experienced that problem but I'll
anyway be careful to not to risk building my card from the start.

Here is an idea for troubleshooting the issue. This is how I would troubleshoot such an issue on my own Linux box...

First, turn on the GP2X without the SD card inside.
Next, plug it via USB into your PC, enable USB networking on the GP2X and turn on Telnet.
After, telnet into the GP2X, insert the SD card, type in the following commands:

# ls /mnt/sd
Does anything show up?
# mount
Do you see the SD card mounted at all?
# dmesg | tail
Do you see any error messages when the Linux firmware attempted to access the SD card?

After which, try manually mounting the SD through telnet and see it outputs any errors.

I hope this helps you figure out what could be causing this strange issue.

Cheers,
Kevin.

This was the most bad thing about gp2x f-100 which same thing happened to me it must be the sd card slot as said before it keeps on happening which is to bad mow i have the gp2x f-200 which gives no problem at all if anyone encounters this problem just buy gp2x f-200 to solve the problem.

Back