Imagining The Tenth Dimension

Boy, I think he's way off.

Everything I've ever read (and my own understanding) indicates that dimension is a spatial concept. I thought we left behind that whole idea of "time is the fourth dimension" a long while ago, in the era of H.G. Wells.

This book comes across as somewhat pseudo-mystical, as though someone with a little knowledge of science imparted his own time travel fantasies onto what he's halfway learned. Wikipedia's entry on the fourth dimension has much better information than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension

All theories on the matter are just that, theories. I suggest that unless you have become a 4D(or 5D) entity that you don't be so quick to dismiss. :)
Regardless of what the 4D actually is, it was quite an interestng watch.

Interesting series - well presented too. It certainly helped me have some kind of idea of what the hell is going on.

PokeParadox posted on Dec 3 2006 at 09:35 AM said:
All theories on the matter are just that, theories. I suggest that unless you have become a 4D(or 5D) entity that you don't be so quick to dismiss. :)
Regardless of what the 4D actually is, it was quite an interestng watch.

Theory? No, I don't believe that what he is presenting could be assigned the status of theory. The word "theory" in the context of scientific debate doesn't mean "just an idea", it refers to the endpoint of the scientific method.

My opinions are based on my understanding of the opinions of those who are more educated in the field. I don't have to be "an expert" to have an educated opinion. If a person's ideas don't hold up to critical scrutiny, then we have a good basis for dismissing them. The scientific method is available for all of us to access; it isn't just limited to scientists.

The presentation was interesting in the same way that H.G. Well's "The Time Machine" was interesting. But, then again, Wells was writing a work of science fiction, not presenting something as real or true.

Last edited by a moderator:
saehn posted on Dec 3 2006 at 02:25 PM said:
Boy at I think he's way off.

Everything I've ever read (and my own understanding) indicates that dimension is a spatial concept. I thought we left behind that whole idea of "time is the fourth dimension" a long while ago, in the era of H.G. Wells.

This book comes across as somewhat pseudo-mystical, as though someone with a little knowledge of science imparted his own time travel fantasies onto what he's halfway learned. Wikipedia's entry on the fourth dimension has much better information than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension
If this is that bollocks about *american accent*Two Dimensional Flat Landers*/american accent*, then it is old.

However it's all completely sound, time is a dimension. You can plot it spatially, we move through it, you can change our velocity and acceleration through it.

sam fisher posted on Dec 3 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
However it's all completely sound, time is a dimension. You can plot it spatially, we move through it, you can change our velocity and acceleration through it.

We don't move through time in the same way we move through space. Can you plot a circle in 2d? A sphere in 3d? A hypersphere in 4d? Yes, yes, yes. A hypersphere in time? No. Obviously time and space are related, but there's no reason to think that they're equivalent concepts. Conceptually, time applies to all dimensions. Would time be frozen or not exist in the first or second dimensions? If so, what dimension do you think we're living in, since we experience time?

The fourth dimension is orthogonal to the other three spatial dimensions.

Look at this way: the vector introduced in dimension N+1 is simultaneously perpendicular to all vectors existing in the Nth dimension. Again, that description doesn't meet the definition of time.

Read this guy's page, he explains it better than I do: http://www.jimloy.com/physics/4d.htm

What were you referring to as "bollocks"? I can't really respond to indeterminate criticism.

Shikaku posted on Dec 3 2006 at 12:41 AM said:

God, that fucked my brain up so hard. I can't think of fluffy kittens anymore, all I can think of is murdering Shikaku and eating his intestines...

But after some ruminating, I think I get what he's saying. Sort of, maybe, probably not. What I think I'm getting is that the next dimension puts all of the stuff in the previous dimensions into the "dot" which represents all the other dimensions and makes a connection to another "dot" of it's kind. Thereby adding another spatial dimension in which it can "move".

Probably all wrong. But I'm going to go insane if I don't have an explanation somehow.

Shikaku posted on Dec 3 2006 at 08:33 PM said:
I already know it's a load of BS, the point is shock value. One of the modern theories is the concept of Space-time by Einstein where time and space are the same thing.

That being said, fuck all because this shit is confusing and beyond us humans (at least for now)
Thats just it, we are 3 dimensional, we cannot comprehend the 4th. And if you actually watch that thing and correctly understand what he means by time, you will see it is no different than distance.

Shikaku posted on Dec 7 2006 at 09:12 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Dec 7 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
char********** string[20];

I think I found the tenth dimension, and there are definitely strings. :blink:

Wouldn't it be... char[][][][][][][][][][] string?

But still lawl programming joke.
Well, it amounts to the same thing, except char[][][][][][][][][][] would allocate the ten dimensions.

:)

Back