Image Scaling On A Fixed Pixel Display

Personally speaking I would prefer PSP's screen over GP2X's.

Never had a BLU so I dunno how BLU screen stacks against the PSP, but my NLU suxxors. :(

and you needed 3 pages to see that you two where talking about the same thing?
Of course the gp32/2x screen is better for emulation than psp, the res is close or identical to the systems that we want to see emulated, genesis only misses by 20 pixels and sometimes 64 wide too, so does pcengine, and for the system with resolutions that are too small like gameboy... we need 48 pixels high to get 1:1 aspect, but anyway, the image unscaled will be bigger in gp32/2x.
The hardware scaling in psp is pretty good, maybe we can have something like that in gp2x, but i prefer real resolution.

polooo2 posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:15 AM said:

Never had a BLU so I dunno how BLU screen stacks against the PSP, but my NLU suxxors. :(

A BLU is basically as good a screen as a pocket PC i.e. damn impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
polooo2 posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:15 AM said:

The contrast and brightness on the BLU is not as good as the PSP. The refresh rate is much better on the BLU though so no ghosting/smearing like the PSP screen.

If you want to know what I think, I really don't mind seeing black borders around the game image. I leave the scaling at 1:1 for all the emulators I use. Hey, at least the border isn't a really obnoxious color or anything. :p

In my opinion, the PSP's screen is better if you want to watch movies, and it's also better for games that are designed to run on it (duh. :p). I don't think the PSP is ideal for emulation. As in, if I wanted to play some emulators on a car trip or something, I wouldn't bring my PSP to play them. However, if I wanted to play some good PSP games (which someday won't be just Lumines hopefully...), I'd bring it. Since I know scaling is really crappy on LCDs sometimes (try running a DOS game on a flatscreen, UGH), I don't use it, and just leave it as 1:1.

So anyway yeah, scaling for me is not an issue, and it CERTAINLY won't prevent me from getting a GP2X.

Also, another thing that irks me about the PSP's screen is that mine came with dust in it, so there are some specks on the screen that I can't clean. ¬_¬

Drag posted on Sep 7 2005 at 04:36 AM said:
So anyway yeah, scaling for me is not an issue, and it CERTAINLY won't prevent me from getting a GP2X.

Prevent you? It should encourage you as the image is larger on the GP2X without the scaling.

Alucard posted on Sep 7 2005 at 12:29 PM said:
Drag posted on Sep 7 2005 at 04:36 AM said:
However, if I wanted to play some good PSP games [...] I'd bring it.
So you're saying you wouldn't use your GP2X to play PSP games? ;)
wE n33D a PSP eMULaT0rZZ!!!111111
----
Oh dear god! { Runs away} :p

Back