I'm Posting This From Qtopia On My Gp2x

really eh...hm...possible...I really don't know, I'd envision it as some sort of tricky transfers similar to some copy here...paste there (that's as best as I can put it in words..i think?) ? I don't know...

Okay, here's how I did it: (see the warning at the bottom before you do this)

1. Downloaded and installed USB networking kernel.
2. Connected GP2X to my Windows Xp computer.
3. Installed USB RNDIS/ Gadget Ethernet driver availible from http://www.davehylands.com/linux/gumstix/usbnet/linux.inf
4. Run USBnet_on utility on the GP2x.
4. In the new hardware dialog that comes up, say don't connect to windows update (if that option is there), choose a driver from a list, choose "show all devices", click have disk, choose the linux.inf file, when it says that it hasn't been logo tested, click "continue".
5. Now go to 'control panel", click network setup wizard, click next twice, click the first option, click next, keep going until it asks you whether to make a network setup disk, click no.
6. Go to control panel > network connections, right click on local area connection 2, rename to GP2X connection or something like that, right click and select properties. In the thing with things like "QOS packet scheduler, go down until you see TCP/IP (not version 6). click properties, and type in ip address 192.168.0.1 after clicking that you don't want to make it obtain its IP address through DHCP. Make sure the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Click OK, then close.
7. Unzip the qtopia files (availible from http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1361) onto your SD card. If you have a card reader, use that, otherwise turn your GP2X off and turn it back on and connect it to your computer. After you have done it this way, you must run usbnet_on again.
8. Start Qtopia from the utilities menu.
8. Answer all the questions, though most of them are optional. Use the thumbstick for the mouse, and click on the little keyboard icon in the bar at the bottom to open and close the virtual keyboard.
9. Once it gets to the qtopia launcher, click on Opera Web Browser. to go to a site.. click on the little globe and use the virtual keyboard to type in a web address.
10. To close qtopia, click on the icon in the lower-left corner of the screen and click shutdown. click terminate server and wait.

Whew! This might not work perfectly, but this is how I remember doing it. This is done on firmware 1.4.0. It might be easier or harder depending on your firmware verson or type. WARNING! Installing this kernel WILL change your gp2x to modified GPH firmware version 1.4.0. Do so at your own risk!!

I confirm that Qtopia can start with firmware 2.0 too. I couldn't get it connected, but I think it's just some kind of stupid networking settings with my XP.

If you want to try this out, remember that the gp2xkernel.img that comes with Qtopia's zip file is not needed.

Back