I'm making a Sonic game for the PC

spray posted on Apr 12 2005 said:
the main artist, richard something i think, he was always great.

Richard Elson...yeah he was the peter pan of the sonic neverland....

I once made a blueprint for a Knuckles action figure, sent it in, it never got printed but I got a letter, stickers and other random freebies back. The blueprint I still have and funnily enough it bares a great resemblance to the Sonic Adventure Knuckles figure...I should perhaps take out a law suit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Twimfy posted on Apr 12 2005 said:
I once made a blueprint for a Knuckles action figure, sent it in, it never got printed but I got a letter, stickers and other random freebies back. The blueprint I still have and funnily enough it bares a great resemblance to the Sonic Adventure Knuckles figure...I should perhaps take out a law suit!
ooh can i see

Nova posted on Apr 13 2005 said:
Twimfy posted on Apr 12 2005 said:
ooh can i see

If I can find a scanner then I'll show it sometime, thats the one piece of hardware I'm lacking at the moment which is hindering progress....just think of the comic scans I could use for textures!!!.

Yeah sonic the comic has been continued as a web comic, its quite impressive I just don't know enough about the earlier stories to follow whats going on.

One new screenshot of a demo I was using to experiment with moving objects on paths whilst switching models in and out (i.e the beams).

deatheggscene1ur.jpg

Lol. Perhaps, at least now people can see I'm a bit more serious about the project. Its been a while since the last update due to a lack of flat surfaces - I've had no where to put my laptop down and use a mouse recently. Touchpad is no good for 3D modelling.

Admittedly the textures are very poor but there is little I can do unless I start using applications outside of 3DGS which I'm not too willing to do. The crap JPEG quality doesn't help either.

I hope to have a playable first level by the end of the summer hols.

Twimfy posted on Jul 22 2005 said:
Lol. Perhaps, at least now people can see I'm a bit more serious about the project. Its been a while since the last update due to a lack of flat surfaces - I've had no where to put my laptop down and use a mouse recently. Touchpad is no good for 3D modelling.

Admittedly the textures are very poor but there is little I can do unless I start using applications outside of 3DGS which I'm not too willing to do. The crap JPEG quality doesn't help either.

If your engine doesn't make game creation easy, please find one that does. Until your project gets off the ground, you're not going to be able to get a programmer. But until you can produce a working demo, it's not going to get off the ground! You have the motivation, though. That's the most important thing - that you've kept atit and you continue to work on it. Very impressive.

Rico posted on Jul 22 2005 said:

If your engine doesn't make game creation easy, please find one that does. Until your project gets off the ground, you're not going to be able to get a programmer. But until you can produce a working demo, it's not going to get off the ground! You have the motivation, though. That's the most important thing - that you've kept atit and you continue to work on it. Very impressive.
he just said it's hard to creat 3d modles w/out a mouse not that the engine makes it hard

@Rico: 3DGS is almost perfect and coding and game creation isn't an issue, the only fault I have with the package is the skin handling in the model editor it produces such poor quality MDL maps that it's almost impossible to tell what is what, which means I have to split everything up and use simple colours as you can see in the picture.

Ok the modelling is fairly low poly, again another fault of the model editor due to lack of tools and flexibility but I think the detail I am producing at the moment is satisfactory and is good enough to act as place holders so I can 'act out' my planned scenarios.

The reason I havent provided any engine yet is because I find it very difficult to code without something visual to ground me, which is why I am making most of my environments and models now, 3DGS is flexible enough to allow me to do this.

A guy on the SonicHq forums suggested I do a remake of Sonic 1, I am tempted at the moment, it would be a more achievable aim and give me alot to learn from.

DemonStar55 posted on Jul 22 2005 said:
he just said it's hard to creat 3d modles w/out a mouse not that the engine makes it hard
Yeah thanks for this but I was just making a generic point

A guy on the SonicHq forums suggested I do a remake of Sonic 1, I am tempted at the moment, it would be a more achievable aim and give me alot to learn from.
Well the most important thing is that you get something running, but think for a bit - there's no reason to remake Sonic 1. Sonic 1 is 2D, plus you'll have to copy all the little details of the levels. But you could construct a more 'generic' Sonic level of your own design for testing, or a whole series of thing. That would be a game more true to the Mega Drive series.

One thing that is probably too complicated is the design of Sonic X-treme, the cancelled Saturn game. It had a fish-eye lens camera that showed corners, and a system where you could run up walls and defy gravity. It was pretty damn impressive, if only it had been released :angry:

Sonic X-Treme looked set to be the best 3D Sonic game. There is still hope of one of the demo versions leaking although as every year passes the chances are getting slimmer.

Back