I'm As Mad As Hell And I'm Not Going To Take This Anymore!

Kramy said:
P.S. Getting every browser on the same rendering engine is a very bad idea. Plus, why would you want Webkit when you could use Presto?

License: Proprietary
That's why I don't want Presto. Plus, WebKits JS engine is faster according to Futuremark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xian Long said:
atomicthumbs said:
Each and every one of you is WRONG. Opera is the best browser.
BEWARE OF OPERA FANBOY!
I'd use Firefox if it wasn't painfully slow and if it handled tabs properly

seriously I decided to try and switch back to it, so I'd have the same browser on the Pandora and on my computer, and I couldn't do it

atomicthumbs said:
It's the only browser that does - once you install the extension "TabGroups Manager". It's amazing how many tabs you can accumulate when you play a few games, do a bit of webdev work and do some generic browsing (of course not all at the same time). I know I could juggle with bookmark folders and the like but that's not quite flexible enough for me. I definitely wouldn't want to have several dozen tabs open without grouping.

The only bad thing is that the latest versions of TMP and TabGroups Manager interact in a way that breaks TMP's "open tabs in reverse order" feature. I hope they get that sorted out soon.

My reaction before watching the video to this post:

ojqhys.jpg

I'll admit it, I thought this was just another troll attack, wish I saw the vid first, it still cracked me up though.

Attachments

• ojqhys.jpg
    ojqhys.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 179
j6cubic said:
atomicthumbs said:
It's the only browser that does - once you install the extension "TabGroups Manager". It's amazing how many tabs you can accumulate when you play a few games, do a bit of webdev work and do some generic browsing (of course not all at the same time). I know I could juggle with bookmark folders and the like but that's not quite flexible enough for me. I definitely wouldn't want to have several dozen tabs open without grouping.

The only bad thing is that the latest versions of TMP and TabGroups Manager interact in a way that breaks TMP's "open tabs in reverse order" feature. I hope they get that sorted out soon.
"Grouping"? Hell no. I just don't want my tabs to spill onto multiple lines, or to scroll. I usually keep around fifty tabs open.

It's just stupid to argue about browsers. Some browsers are faster then firefox, but a browser should behave like you want it to and that's totally a matter of taste. No browser is more customizable then firefox, so I'm happy it exists and keeps improving. No browser is closer to the way I want a browser to behave, though I sometimes use midori for hd-streaming and in case I want to use a bigger web-application.

Gecko still is the most important rendering engine for web-standards and the only real competition to webkit. It's not like mozilla is daydreaming, webkit will force them to massivly improve speed and they will use the GUI-change in the next major release to free resouces, without doubt.

Opera is fine for those who like it. Many do, many don't.

The point is: there's nothing like an optimal browser and the growth of diversity in the last years is just fantastic.

It's interesting to note that browsers now are evolving in different directions...
Opera now provides communication with Opera Browsers of your friends.
Chrome and Safari are always getting faster and MORE minimalist (both are my favorites, being Safari classy and Chrome extremely light)
Firefox still investing massively in its endless library of plugins
And Internet Explorer is always getting bigger, heavier, slower, uglier, etc... in fact, is the one that improves the highest number of features.

Right click -> save :D

Do you mind if I use that on the blog some time (just the middle section without text)? Credited of course. I'm sure it will suit an article some time in the future.

Yoyobuae said:
God Ginrai said:
*snip*
New update for Kazehakase? Ooh. Also, I think I know what you mean about the browser you like. The reason I use FF the most is all because of Vimperator. That plugin makes the browser for me. That's why I'm looking forward to getting uzbl when I get Linux reinstalled on my PC.

-God Ginrai
Yeah, who needs toolbars, or menus, or the mouse for that matter. :D

I personally find keyboard navigation faster for web browsing. That's why it pisses me off that Chromium doesn't have link search. Also, Vimperator works well no matter if you have 5 tabs open or 300 tabs open.

-God Ginrai

Hi, fearofshorts here. Long time lurker, first time poster.
Firefox is no longer slow. Version 3.5 (which requires a manual update) uses a new javascript engine- "TraceMonkey".
It's insanely fast and now (for me) even boots faster than chrome! And that's with dozens of extensions installed too!
Sources:
http://m.thestandard.com/news/2009/06/10/firefox-3-5-features-new-javascript-engine-built-video
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/2008/08/tracemonkey_javascript_lightsp.html
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2008/09/new-firefox-javascript-engine-is-faster-than-chromes-v8.ars

Also Chrome beta versions now support extensions. There arn't many yet and the functionality needs to be manually enabled, but there is a small community. I've got a G-Mail notifier in the corner of my screen now.

EDIT: Typo.

atomicthumbs said:
Each and every one of you is WRONG. Opera is the best browser.

I know. But please don't spread this. I want to feel special and elitist when using Opera.

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/results.action?key=22Ac

The statistics have spoken (all tests done on the same platform, by me).

BTW: Shiretoko = codename for Firefox, and Minefield = Firefox pre-pre-beta-alpha-3.7

fearofshorts said:
Hi, fearofshorts here. Long time lurker, first time poster.
Firefox is no longer slow. Version 3.5 (which requires a manual update) uses a new javascript engine- "TraceMonkey".
It's insanely fast and now (for me) even boots faster than chrome! And that's with dozens of extensions installed too!

Incidentally, I am using FF 3.5, and it can't even run Google Wave properly on this machine whereas anything on WebKit can, without a problem.

EDIT: SquirrelFish Extreme beats TraceMonkey's ass from here to kingdom come.

To best web browser will always be Telnet. Nothing else can match it's shear speed it delivers web pages. Why waste time getting your PC to render a web page when you can render it much faster using your brain? Anything more is just being lazy.

Squidge said:
To best web browser will always be Telnet. Nothing else can match it's shear speed it delivers web pages. Why waste time getting your PC to render a web page when you can render it much faster using your brain? Anything more is just being lazy.
Actually, I'd maintain that lynx is faster, especially when SSL is involved. AES is hard.

j6cubic said:
Squidge said:
Actually, I'd maintain that lynx is faster, especially when SSL is involved. AES is hard.

I prefer links if I want speed.

-God Ginrai

Back