If someone were to build an X86 Pandoraesque Computer...

Plz for the love of god make this a thing. Three times I almost droped $250 on an OQO but every time I have to remind myself how bad they are. Im happy to support you in any way I can, man.

Agreed, I would prefer x86. I slobbered over the OQO, but they dicked around getting it out and it was an ultra premium price. Looks like the low-end OQO's are still around $300 on eBay. The continued support and the interest of developers are what make the Pandora (and the Pyra) more valuable.

is there anyone other than Ed with the ability to make such a device a reality?
Its not ability that's the problem, its willingness.

There are plenty of companies in the world that could build an x86 handheld.

I have a Viliv N5 and before that I had an UMID BZ, great small x86 machines, only both companies went bankrupt after the rise of the iPads. Also, all the chinese manufacturers of minipc have abandoned them in favour of cheap android or win8 tablets. There is no request (except for me and you guys). I still like the Pandora more though, except for the mouse (great on the N5 and BZ) and keyboard. The ARM has its advantages, size, power consumption etc.., and no Windows (great advantage!).

I could see it being 'possible'. At least in a hypothetical theory sense.

Develop the Pyra - that has to happen first.

Use all of the Pyra parts but the motherboard.

Add a heat spreader/radiator and add enough case thickness to make a 2 board solution.

Create a Pyra size board that has keyboard pads on one side, all of the ports back & front and a cable/socket to add this SBC module (thus the additional case thickness needed).

Battery life would be roughly 1/4-1/2 of the Pyra (assuming the SoCs listed on the site).

Load Debian with XFCE on it. Develop all of the drivers needed to see nubs & etc. Done.

I don't see it happening though. It would be expensive to develop -and- would potentially be detrimental to Pyra sales.

Pretty much every other X86 handheld ever developed has had fatal flaws. If ED were interested in doing an X86 handheld using Pandora/Pyra designs, it would absolutely rock.

Not likely to happen though.

I could see it being 'possible'. At least in a hypothetical theory sense.Develop the Pyra - that has to happen first.Use all of the Pyra parts but the motherboard.Add a heat spreader/radiator and add enough case thickness to make a 2 board solution.Create a Pyra size board that has keyboard pads on one side, all of the ports back & front and a cable/socket to add this SBC module (thus the additional case thickness needed).Battery life would be roughly 1/4-1/2 of the Pyra (assuming the SoCs listed on the site).Load Debian with XFCE on it. Develop all of the drivers needed to see nubs & etc. Done.I don't see it happening though. It would be expensive to develop -and- would potentially be detrimental to Pyra sales.Pretty much every other X86 handheld ever developed has had fatal flaws. If ED were interested in doing an X86 handheld using Pandora/Pyra designs, it would absolutely rock.Not likely to happen though.
Would Ed be willing to sell a Pyra sans mobo?

don't develop a x86 pandora... just buy some edison modules and plug them in your pandora... voila!

Develop the Pyra - that has to happen first. Use all of the Pyra parts but the motherboard. Add a heat spreader/radiator and add enough case thickness to make a 2 board solution.
This idea is great. I would buy both!

Intel is trying to get into the maker scene, I think they might support a small cool project to show off and to get some developers interested. Their Galileo board is cool but to use Yocto was a horrible choice - its too hardcore for most. Might get one though.. ; )

Edison's form factor is cool. If the SD form factor became a quasi-standard for modular SoCs, it could lead to that modular approach that Exophase was talking about a few months ago.

There isn't much out there yet on some of the real important bits though. Graphics? Signal I/O (datasheet)?

Back