[Idea] The OpenPandora Social Network: PandoraNet.

What social networking does this community need beyond these boards and IRC?

I'm not saying there aren't any improvements to be made - I just don't understand what is being suggested here :unsure:

I really see no need to switch. Also, what does the OP mean by "social network"?? I think the boards are exactly that. You have personal profiles, friends, direct messages, public posts, likes and even advertisements for the different events.

I liked the idea of a bulletin board. Getting one setup on the Amazon cloud was pretty easy but I didn't want to maintain it (plus the cost)

What social networking does this community need beyond these boards and IRC?

I'm not saying there aren't any improvements to be made - I just don't understand what is being suggested here :unsure:
Perhaps a coffee house, so we can go out and about with our Pandies?

^ Perhaps ED should pay to set up a coffee shop in every major city in the world with a pandora owner nearby

There's one thing I was thinking, though: it would be nice to have a program included in the firmware which starts automatically when you are online and lets you know if there are Pandora Boards members online, display them as a list (like a regular IM) as well as their location. (at least country). Since the community is small, there are surely people who are unaware that there are other Pandora users living close to them, and having such kind of tool would be an interesting way to connect the users between themselves. 

Are you trying to make the Pandora to be like Apple or Android or Google - always want to know where its users are and what they are doing/searching?  I vote no for this.  I don't see an issue Pandora users log onto this forum and there you know who's online.

Are you trying to make the Pandora to be like Apple or Android or Google - always want to know where its users are and what they are doing/searching?  I vote no for this.  I don't see an issue Pandora users log onto this forum and there you know who's online.
You misunderstand my message.

And you fail to see the issues with the current systems: many people don't log often on the boards, and most people don't have any location registered in their profile. If you don't come often on the boards, it's very hard to follow any kind of discussion going on. And I doubt that these people who don't come often on the boards go to IRC either. You can see that IRC is populated by the same members as the ones on the boards, more or less.

So we don't have a good solution in place at this point.  

Ah!  OK.  Thanks for the explanation.  So something like weather forecast applet but with rolling Pandora members that are online?  That's OK then :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a list of feature ideas .. I'm collecting them up for making a dashbaord and so on, turn c4a into something bigger..

Jeffphone
OK :

- should be represented as an icon in the taskbar not opened (just like IMs).

- Active when online, by default.

- when online shows which other users are online, who are Pandora owners as well.

- "Friends" function to separate your most frequent contacts from the less frequent ones  / filter

- IM kind of functionality : can contact users online, send messages, send files if possible. Screen sharing would be cool, but let's not go too far.

- does not take the full screen. I'd like to be able to do other things as the same time as I use this. (like an IM)

- features location of Pandora members: at least country wise. Either via IP geolocation, or via voluntary country selection from a list.

- can launch Xchat from this application to jump directly in the openpandora channel  

- reserved for Pandora owners. If possible the ID should be matching the C4A ID as well.

- acts as launcher for C4A games (quicklist) and records the latest scores achieved and latest games played.

- receive alerts from C4A when your score is beaten in a given game where you participated. 

- can see leaderboards for given games (data coming from C4A). / you can favorite the games you are interested to keep an eye on

Back