Potentially Fried 2x Disaster

TheMinder

Wasn't a very successful night with the 2X at my house last night, what with this and other issues.

Popped the power supply in, switched the 2X on, the green light came on briefly and then went out.

On closer inspection the voltage setting on the variable power supply had been set to 12V and as it has interchangeable ends for different purposes this from the wiki

Take care the polarity of the connector is CENTER GROUNDED.

If you power the GP2X with + and - swapped just for a second only, you are likely to fry one of the voltage converters inside. It is difficult to buy, very small and not easy to replace.
also set me thinking.

Steering clear of any sort of blame culture as I should have checked myself but it looks like the offspring that carried the adapter upstairs to me had been "experimenting" a little bit with the settings.

Cutting to the chase - I tried with new batteries and with the power supply set up correctly but still dead as a dodo.

Is it fried as described in the wiki or could it be something easier to fix ? This is my second unit already after the first one got smashed and so I don't think I could justify buying another and having paid around £400 in total for one !

Is it a regulated adaptor? If so, then you've probably just popped one of the vregs, although you might have popped a cap or two as well, specially if its unreg.

The exact thing happened to me, but luckily I managed to get a replacement. (I'll kill my little brother if he uses my adapter again)

If you've got a good AC Adaptor: Try using 4,5V (with correct polarity).
Does the gp2x boot?
If yes, the LTSK is fried, which I can easily change for you (10 EUR repair and 10 EUR parts).

If it won't boot, there are some more dead parts... which I MIGHT figure out.

cowai said:
But if it works with 4.5v, cant he just use 4.5v and drop the regulator?
He can, but it won't work with batteries then.

Last edited:
rememberthe8bit said:
EvilDragon said:
If you've got a good AC Adaptor: Try using 4,5V (with correct polarity).
Does the gp2x boot?
If yes, the LTSK is fried
Eh? My GPX runs with my power supply at 4.5v, and it runs on batteries... :huh:

Yeah, but you're not the one who fried it with 12V, eh? ;)

Last edited:
Back