I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

I

i_am_a_noob

Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update
LG Combo Drive Black IDE Model GCC-4522BK - OEM
Model #: GCC-4522BK
Item #: N82E16827136067
** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
Remove item from Cart Remove Save Save Move To Wish List
$22.99 $22.99
ATX Computer Cases
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update
APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-GN Green Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ATXB4KLW-GN
Item #: N82E16811144022
$56.99 $56.99
Internal Hard Drives

Update
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD800BB
Item #: N82E16822144102
$41.99 $41.99
AMD-compatible Motherboards

Update
ASUS M2N4-SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: M2N4-SLI
Item #: N82E16813131068
$94.99 $94.99
Video Cards

Update
ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512M Geforce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: EN7600GS SILENT/512M
Item #: N82E16814121007
$136.99 $136.99
CPU Thermal Paste / Grease

Update
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5
Item #: N82E16835100007
** This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same make/model within 30 days only. what's this?
$5.99 $5.99
Processors

Update
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800CUBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3800CUBOX
Item #: N82E16819103735
** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
$152.00 $152.00
Memory (Gaming System Memory)

Update
pqi TURBO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PQI24200-1GDB - Retail
Model #: PQI24200-1GDB
Item #: N82E16820141200

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate

That is me Newegg shopping cart, and i bought it!!!!!! But can anyone direct me to a good tutorial?

Shikaku posted on Sep 10 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
Ask a computer nerd friend to help you out, online help would be almost completely useless...

No computer nerd friends, i'm kind of that friend. I'm just to young to be a good computer nerd. But i've got a good understanding of what i'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 10 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
Ask a computer nerd friend to help you out, online help would be almost completely useless...

No computer nerd friends, i'm kind of that friend. I'm just to young to be a good computer nerd. But i've got a good understanding of what i'm doing.

Well then open up your computer (make sure you touch the metal casing on the outside to ground yourself) and look how it's hooked up. It's not very hard to get a grasp of what's going on...

Shikaku posted on Sep 10 2006 at 05:58 PM said:

Well then open up your computer (make sure you touch the metal casing on the outside to ground yourself) and look how it's hooked up. It's not very hard to get a grasp of what's going on...

Ya, i just don't want to completely screw up my investment!!

i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 10 2006 at 07:18 PM said:

Then cancel your order. If you don't want to take the risk of knowing how to set up your computer, and you cannot ask somebody else for help physically, then don't bother.

I know newegg will allow you to cancel it, and it's still Sunday which means the order will not process until tomorrow so don't tell me you can't cancel it.

http://www.daileyint.com/build/

However you can try looking at this for hints.

Also from that parts list that should be everything you would need to get the computer running, but if there are any problems you probably wouldn't know how to diagnose/identify the problem.

Shikaku posted on Sep 10 2006 at 11:58 PM said:

Finally! Someone else who remembers that you don't have to buy some bollocks thing to attach to a radiatior 5 metres away. The case is grounded. The amount of bloody times I have to tell people that.

sam fisher posted on Sep 10 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
Finally! Someone else who remembers that you don't have to buy some bollocks thing to attach to a radiatior 5 metres away. The case is grounded. The amount of bloody times I have to tell people that.

This isn't common knowledge...?

No wonder I always see these type of things being sold everywhere...

Shikaku posted on Sep 10 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 10 2006 at 07:18 PM said:

Then cancel your order. If you don't want to take the risk of knowing how to set up your computer, and you cannot ask somebody else for help physically, then don't bother.

I know newegg will allow you to cancel it, and it's still Sunday which means the order will not process until tomorrow so don't tell me you can't cancel it.

http://www.daileyint.com/build/

However you can try looking at this for hints.

Also from that parts list that should be everything you would need to get the computer running, but if there are any problems you probably wouldn't know how to diagnose/identify the problem.

That's what Computer Renassaince is for, and I know where/how to connect everything but i just want to have a resource in case i get into a jam. And as a last resort, i can call up my friends brother who has built computers before.

Putting a PC together is like a (very very very simple) jigsaw. The hardest part is probably getting the motherboard fitted into the back of the case, after that just stick things where they look like they are going to fit.

Just make sure you plug the IDE cable in the right way, and that the pins on the CPU line up properly.

Shikaku posted on Sep 10 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
Disagrees.
I had never made a computer until a year ago. I got a guide off the internet and learnt easily.

You really can`t screw anything up. Just make sure that the red line on the ide cables is always on the side of pin1 (it`s marked on the harddrive and on the motherboard too). Also, if you have to fit in the fan for the cpu, check that you don`t scratch your motherboard.

I learnt how to build computers by buying a PC, realised it was a crap PC with a fast CPU and not much else and then upgrading until i changed every single part (but not the case).

One of the best peices of advise that I can give you..
When fitting the motherboard it should have metal rests for the board to lay on. They could be the type that screw into the case, or the type that you have to pinch together to fit them in.
For goodness sake, make sure that all the rests line up with the holes in the motherbard only that the screws go through. Don't leave any of these rests in the case if they're going to make direct contact with the back of the board.
This could short out the motherboard & blow it. Could take out your processor or RAM too :(

***EDIT***
Sorry i_am_a_noob, hope I didn't scare you with that info.
That's one of the only things that you really have to look out for.
Everything else is easy, so have a good mess about & enjoy yourself :D

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Sep 11 2006 at 04:12 PM said:
When fitting the motherboard it should have metal rests for the board to lay on. They could be the type that screw into the case, or the type that you have to pinch together to fit them in.
For goodness sake, make sure that all the rests line up with the holes in the motherbard only that the screws go through. Don't leave any of these rests in the case if they're going to make direct contact with the back of the board.
This could short out the motherboard & blow it. Could take out your processor or RAM too :(

***EDIT***
I was about to tell him that myself, but you beat me to it :)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Sep 11 2006 at 10:12 AM said:

***EDIT***

I read something about that, and it did make me a little scared :unsure:

so the rest is easy?

i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 11 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
so the rest is easy?
Yes, unless you're a retard or really young and ignorant (In which case you don't deserve to be buying these parts and doing this; it only requires a certain level of intelligence to accomplish, and if you can't meet that then just give up; but it shouldn't require much).

Azure posted on Sep 11 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 11 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
so the rest is easy?
Yes, unless you're a retard or really young and ignorant (In which case you don't deserve to be buying these parts and doing this; it only requires a certain level of intelligence to accomplish, and if you can't meet that then just give up; but it shouldn't require much).

From what it seems, and from what i've done(change hard drives, disk drives, swapping ram, system restore a Dell which was by far the hardest thing i've ever done! :lol: ) it seems pretty plug and play-ish(despite the drivers and stuff). And on the really young and ignorant part, i think i fit those specifications :(

Woot, it's built!!!!! Took only 5 hours! This thing is a freaking beast when it comes to first person shooters!

Back