I don't get all the bitching about overclocking in PCSX

Blue Protoman

And hell, even Quake 3 has given me more overclocking issues. Let's talk about what exactly has given you problems with overclocking, and at what speed.

For example, PCSX has gone comfortably at 850Mhz. Mupen 64 would likely crash at that speed after a little while. Quake 3's crashed even below 800Mhz.

My Pandora is set consistently to 600mhz and I never need to overclock to run Quake3 at a decent speed.. N64, sure almost every game except Mario 64 seems to need overclocking.. PSX a couple games I found need a tad bit of overclocking..

EDIT: I run all my games on a class 10 16Gig SD card, not sure if storage medium may be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to run pcsx rearmed at 1000MHz happily. Since I re-flashed my unit, it doesn't seem happy over 800. In fact, nothing does.

Mupen always crashed over 800 though.

I don't know why pcsx wont run at 1000 any more, or if it's definitely related to the re-flash (seemed to happen at the same time, but also doesn't seem to make sense). It's kind of annoying for some games though, e.g. dead or alive runs too slow now.

I don't know why pcsx wont run at 1000 any more, or if it's definitely related to the re-flash (seemed to happen at the same time, but also doesn't seem to make sense). It's kind of annoying for some games though, e.g. dead or alive runs too slow now.
The PCSX-ReARMed (hope I spelled that right) was updated to support the NEON instructions. This greatly improved efficiency, but at the same time NEON isn't as overclock friendly as the rest of the CPU, so you can't go as high. It should balance out, however, leaning more into improved performance because of NEON, not less.

If you're overclocking as high as you can and it is running slow, turn down the overclock a little. Yes, I'm serious. The slower CPU lets NEON do its job and everything runs better.

I used to run pcsx rearmed at 1000MHz happily. Since I re-flashed my unit, it doesn't seem happy over 800. In fact, nothing does.

Maybe you previously had it set to OPP5?

Maybe you previously had it set to OPP5?

Aha! Thanks Craig - that was it - I hadn't set the max OPP back to 5 since reflashing! Awesome :D

Edit: Though DoA is still about 20% behind full speed :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Back