I do not understand the attraction.

C

CocoCreekFisherman

This is not a troll thread but rather something I cannot grasp inside my cerebral sulcus. Perhaps another of my rants.

Well here it goes:

I was not in this forum for a few months mainly due to the fact that I did not have a Pandora anymore.I sold mine .So  I said farewell and that was that or so I thought. I can tell you that there was not a day that went by that I did not miss the Pandora. I milled it over in my brain wether or not I wanted to purchase another one realizing the nuances that come along with the device. I attempted to preoccupy myself with other devices that I have [and I have many] but I still yearned for another. I even own a XBMC 1TB Xbox with thousands of games on it but it is not the same  as emulation on the Pandora. Something meaningful is lacking for me.. Even my friend and I whilst working on a Hyperspin 3.0 console,I realized for me it was not heartfelt as it was with the Pandora.I sold my portion of the investment to him.He was flabbergasted to say the least. I sold my NVIDIA SHIELD because it left me cold. Unbelievable that this happens.

So I took the plunge and ordered another Pandora which I received a week ago. Since I have had it , I have practically ignored my XBOX XBMC, PS4,XBOX ONE,WII U , PS VITA,3DS XL,Nexus 7 and hacked to the hilt PSP GO. [No I am not selling them].

I do not and can not completely grasp why I love this device so and what attraction is has had over me. This boggles my mind. I am at peace when I tinker with this device and time just soars by. Then I realize I have no time left for my other consoles.

Not the you all are interested in my marital affairs but I just had an argument with my wife because I want to buy another 'back up unit' just in case something might happen to this one. Wether it would be my fault[drop], or a hardware malfunction[crack,LCD, etc.] I want a spare. My wife vehemently stated that " if it can fail that easily then why would you want another?" I said "you just do not understand how involved I am with this machine and how having another one would ease my trepidations of it malfunctioning". Which of course may or may not happen prematurely. Nothing lasts forever especially in the electronic arena.

In my life I have never had a connection with a device as I do with the Pandora and G.D be my witness I do not understand this attraction. 

Maybe you all do?

Last edited:
Mine blows cocaine out of the speaker grilles every time I turn it on, which could explain my Pandora addiction I suppose.

2431954825_db52eb9e53_m.jpg

how do you think your pandoras's are going to feel once you get a Pyra.
I am assuming that is a sarcastic question. The Pandora is an inanimate electronic object. It is my feelings I do not quite grasp but perhaps that is beyond your scope. ;)

I will buy a Pyra.

I am assuming that is a sarcastic question. The Pandora is an inanimate electronic object. It is my feelings I do not quite grasp but perhaps that is beyond your scope. ;)

I will buy a Pyra.
Your pandora is reading this now and is fuming on how you only think of your own feelings.

I will buy a Pyra.
Your pandora is reading this now and is fuming on how you only think of your own feelings.
ok ok..I get the point.

That is what I deserve for such a over dramatic, foolish, sentimental post.

AHH regrets.

Last edited:
Mine blows cocaine out of the speaker grilles every time I turn it on, which could explain my Pandora addiction I suppose.

2431954825_db52eb9e53_m.jpg
We know where you live and are coming to your abode now to place you under arrest. All water supply has been cut off so forget about using your water closet to flush it all. B)

Last edited:
ok ok..I get the point. That is what I deserve for such a over dramatic, foolish, sentimental post. AHH regrets.
^ te he he he he xD

maybe the Pandora has become a device of idealism? It combines a lot of values -> no slave labour, free and open software, its designed for sustainability, a friendly community, a company behind it that doesn't strive for your blood or your data xD

and you can do more with it than paying games

Last edited by a moderator:
After a while the Pandora becomes a companion, just like you would miss the wristwatch you put on every day. Weird thing is I sometimes bring it along when I go shopping (znotes with shoppinglist). I even need keepass when I email me things through the photocopy machine (requires my way too long to remember password of the month to enable the email), I take it to the bathroom, and enjoy some gaming or youtube I dl'd (havent touched a toilet magazine in weeks... no not those, get your mind out of the gutter). I always have carried a pencil. And some paper to jot down notes, ideas, etc. But the memo-recorder in the pandora is just as good (I used to call myself and left messages to myself, which I then had to listen, then record to PC... yeah... back in the days when you had a dumbphone). With the nokia I still have, I press this button, then say "recorder" and it starts recording... but the easyness of the pandora of organizing ideas in folders is much better than the Nokia (be it audio or zim/wiki... reminds me I need to get the latest WoaS...), so I do that less and less. Now, I do carry a gps navigator, and a real camera around, but to be honest, the camera weighs a lot (pyra better be light! And weighted; I like the center of gravity of the pandora) so the occasional snapshot is done with the phone. I also listen (sometimes even watch) stuff while on the bike (there are bike roads here, so in the stretches without crossings/lights, its 'save' to do that... saver than phoning in a car... which is illegal unless its handsfree)....

uh where was I going with this? Oh, yeah... CocoCreakFisherman... I understand. And yes... I got a replacement already... just in case...

Backing up the SD is still a hassle, but I made a script, so once in a while I run that...

so... fight for your rights to party! And uh... better save the money for a pyra... (gotta keep the wife happy, you know. And sinds it is a _different_ device, it could get a green light). But as soon as she buys that shoe/dress/jacket she doesnt need... you suddenly need a second Pandora. One for home, and the other for on the go. Or for testing a new build. Indeed, sometimes developers install extra things on the internal hdd, and the first one to test says a library is missing. Imagine if you had a pristine machine, where you can test your release first. Hey, here at my work we have "pristine servers" too, so its not a bad idea.  Or what about connecting 2 Pandoras?

Anyway, keep us posted about your quest for the 2nd OP. Now go valiant warrior!

seriously: ... of course it will backfire! Its like taking a third wife, man... DONT DO IT! Its not worth it!

Aha... with a hollow stylus to WireShnork it too.

Mine actually emits brainwaves that octagulate the dense emitters of cromulent audio pointers.... it feeds off me... heeeelp! *carrier lost*

i kinda feel the same: there is this force, you might call it attraction, that comes from this little handheld and pulls you in. i feel it too. i believe many do. and i believe no one quite understands.

sometimes i just open it up and play with the keyboard and nubs without starting it (because i wouldnt know what to use it for) for a couple of seconds. it just feels right.

in fact ive been thinking about selling it numerous times. no big deal, i hardly use it these days. but it would make me feel sad, so why bother?

i know exactly what you are talking about. i just had a lot of fun with turtles in time the other day. it wouldnt have been fun on my xbox.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

I think the explanation is easy. You can do so much with it, you can set it up right to your liking. Plus the community. Plus the Linux spirit. Plus not a massproduct. More an almost individually made piece of craftsmanship (in the same way that a handmade, or self-made, chess game is different from a plastic chess game). Somehow even as a user (not programmer) you realize you have put so much work into it setting things up etc so that it gets dear and more personalized to you than any other handheld IMO ever could :) This is both rational and irrational but it makes sense to me.

Not the you all are interested in my marital affairs but I just had an argument with my wife because I want to buy another 'back up unit' just in case something might happen to this one.
ED and company will be able to repair most faults for a while yet.

But who doesn't want another Pandora?   :)  I have one of each model (CC,Rebirth,1GHz).

To help persuade your wife... Pandoras are scarce, and production is stopping soon.  (already?)

You could sell the spare at a profit a few years down the track, especially if you don't open the box.

However, if you spend money on a spare Pandora, your wife might feel that she is less important to you than the Pandora.   :(

Your wife needs to know she is critical to your happiness, so you should also buy another wife as a 'back up unit'.

Anyway, on the question of attraction ... I wrote a list of 9 reasons to love Pandora, and there is this article [SIZE=14.666666984558105px]The Moment You Realized How Awesome It is.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666984558105px]Or maybe it's down to the sweet feminine name and mythos.[/SIZE]

Back