GP2X I Cant Program But Hear Me Out

It's great to see you enjoying it so much. Having fun with this stuff is what makes it all worthwhile :)

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 7 2006 at 02:34 AM said:
It's great to see you enjoying it so much. Having fun with this stuff is what makes it all worthwhile :)
I go along with that, there will be some things that are frustrating but overall have fun with programming!

Last edited by a moderator:
BenScar posted on Sep 7 2006 at 08:07 AM said:
Alex. posted on Sep 7 2006 at 02:34 AM said:
I go along with that, there will be some things that are frustrating but overall have fun with programming!

Ive been generally intimidated by it for a very long time. This is my third attempt at getting into programming. first time I barely grazed the surface. second time I had a freind teaching me but he was a bad teacher (easily frustrated kind of a jerk.) and he tried to teach me stuff that was really beyond me. trying to push as much in as fast as possible. its been a very long time since then. this is the first time Im actually really enjoying this. every chance I get Im reading and trying out pieces of code. its really fun. I got a couple of pieces of code that are really beyond me lol. I really want to understand what is written here. thanx for the encouragment guys. really.

Its gonna be a while till I can actually make a game but Ill get there. since Im buying the gp2x purely to dev on it Im gonna wait to purchase. I mean by the time I am comfortable coding in python and getting into C++/C there might be a new gp2x out like a mk3 or something. crossing my fingers for a dpad lol. plus I like having money in the bank in case of emergency. when the tax return comes around Ill have plenty in the bank to spare without worry. went off on a tangent there... :blink:

Rei Yano posted on Sep 7 2006 at 03:30 AM said:
Its gonna be a while till I can actually make a game but Ill get there. since Im buying the gp2x purely to dev on it Im gonna wait to purchase. I mean by the time I am comfortable coding in python and getting into C++/C there might be a new gp2x out like a mk3 or something. crossing my fingers for a dpad lol. plus I like having money in the bank in case of emergency. when the tax return comes around Ill have plenty in the bank to spare without worry. went off on a tangent there... :blink:
In that case I'd wait til you can get a GP2X from ED's shop with a d-pad preinstalled, like DaveC's proposed kit. It seems promising.

my brain hurt just reading all this,,,is there a of the shelve game maker package that will work with the gp2x, my brains half dead from drink and other toxic substances from the 70's \ 80's 90's , so there only realy basic functions going on up there.....but i could tell a good story lol...any pointers to the idiots guide to making a game would be great......

For what it's worth, I' found that c++ was not as hard as people have made it out to be. Not easy, by any stretch, but not that hard.

I've been coding for the GP2X for about 4 days now - I started by installing code::blocks, then the GP2X devkit, and picked a game to port. I chose one that already had code available in c/c++ so that the work would be limited to small areas. By chance, I found one that also used SDL.

So it was a case of working up the graphics routines to work on the GP2X screen, sort out the sound (convert an 8bit mixer to use 16bit samples) and screw around with the rather funky stick for a day and a half :)

It's finished now, barring small stuff like using the shoulder buttons to quit.

And before I installed code::blocks, I had never in my life coded even one line of c or c++. After just four days, I feel that I've enough of a start to write my own simple game, so that's what I'm gonna do.

And SDL *is* simple. Once you get your head around the calls, it's very easy indeed.

All you need is to find someone else's code, and start hacking around in it. You'll learn a lot faster than you will from any tutorials, in my experience. Keep the tutorials handy though, cos they can be very helpful when you get stuck!

D.

I do not reccomend learning a language such as basic before you learn C, if you plan on eventually learning C.

C is known as a "Curly Braces" language, which has a very different (and better) formatting system than basic, because of that, a lot of basic programmers make a lot of syntax errors when switching over.

I know this because I originally started with Qbasic years ago and then went to Turbo C...This is before GCC was popular.

As far as C/C++. For game programming, C is a great start. C++ builds upon C, adding streaming and object oriented structure, but you need to have a solid understanding of C for it to be easy.

I've been doing work in C# for a while now (not game stuff) and going from object oriented back to procedural is very strange.

Bah humbug, python indention beats braces any day. C is faster tho.

I don't use python, so I'm curious.

Can you use classes in python to keep to organize both your data and your methods?

Can you overload methods to accept more parameters? How about Operators?

For example, using C++ I can create a badguy object, and then overload the ++ operator so if I called.

BadGuy++;

It would create a new Badguy using whatever default arguments I put in the class constructor. Object oriented programming lets you approach things in a totally new way.

Yeah, you can do all that. Also theres a nice big standard library to work with. And IMHO code just looks cleaner in python.

I just can't find a good code example to show you thats not part of my secret projects.

Back