I Am Worried

It was the only photo I could find! Other emulators do centre it but obviously it's still the same size.

I'm not a fan of any kind of filtering. I'd rather see it how it was when I first played it on the real thing.

It's very impressive, although I do still prefer the blockiness of 'nearest neighbour' on those pics.

Does hq2x have to be 2x the size? Can it be less to fit on the GP2X's screen?

And.. what's wrong with pixelllllllls? ;)

ste_167 posted on Jul 11 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
It's very impressive, although I do still prefer the blockiness of 'nearest neighbour' on those pics.

Does hq2x have to be 2x the size? Can it be less to fit on the GP2X's screen?

It seems like it's for only 2x, 3x and 4x. However with 3x and then downsampling using 2x bilinear filter it's possible to get 1.5.
It will look like (effective 1.5x):
testhq3xd24fd.png

Compare it to the:
http://www.hiend3d.com/hq3x.html

For me there is still a distortion visible...
It's not surprising as the final ratio is uneven. The only solution to get smooth 1.5x is to blur I'm afraid. Perhaps do it only when picture is moving as then aliasing is most apparent?

I was trying to get subpixel LCD scaling working for bitmaps. I succeded but it's showing an improvement only for certain cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnulus posted on Jul 11 2006 at 05:53 AM said:
But do the emulators for the PSP always stretch? Can't you decide yourself what you want it to do, like with SquidgeSNES? It's perfectly silly if they ALWAYS stretch, and I'll make sure to laugh in my friend's face next time I see him.

Comparison of all screens at 1:1 at actual relative sizes. I cut out the actual screens and show on the right. As you can see at 1:1 the GP2X image is largest. The "new gamepark model" refers to the XGP and gives the smallest image of the 3. This is why the XGP is actually worse than the GP2X for emulation besides the analog.

screensize.jpg

DaveC posted on Jul 11 2006 at 10:10 AM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 11 2006 at 05:53 AM said:
But do the emulators for the PSP always stretch? Can't you decide yourself what you want it to do, like with SquidgeSNES? It's perfectly silly if they ALWAYS stretch, and I'll make sure to laugh in my friend's face next time I see him.

Comparison of all screens at 1:1 at actual relative sizes. I cut out the actual screens and show on the right. As you can see at 1:1 the GP2X image is largest. The "new gamepark model" refers to the XGP and gives the smallest image of the 3. This is why the XGP is actually worse than the GP2X for emulation besides the analog.

screensize.jpg

It says GP32 on the picture. Is it really a GP2X screen?

Yeah, I was thinking about the hq2x when I said that about the filtering. I just think it'd be very very slow on a GP2X, sadly. I don't mind pixels and the pixellated look, but when you CAN'T go 100% in each direction, you have to apply some tricks, because nearest neighbour looks like crap when it's not in full 100% or 50%.

They're the same size, dsd28.

With regards to scaling, I'm happy with the way things are. The screen's 'just about' right for anything emulated on it, without any filtering.

ste_167 posted on Jul 11 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
They're the same size, dsd28.

With regards to scaling, I'm happy with the way things are. The screen's 'just about' right for anything emulated on it, without any filtering.

That is what I think. Then you get those freaks that go nuts because there is a 2 mm border on NeoGeo and want to stretch the screen to use every mm even though it would look like crap ;)

And yes that pic I used is old. GP2X=GP32 for screen size and resolution.

Back