Beta Html 5 Game Performance

got_wot

Still Fresh
Hi Guys, as porting my game Indestructotank to Pandora has twice fallen through assistance wise, I thought I'd give it a go myself, using HTML5 Canvas and Javascript, as while I don't have the time to learn an entire new programming language, shifting from AS3 to Javascript for a few hours was fairly simple.

What I don't know, however, is the performance of HTML5 canvas on Pandora and similar devices, so if anyone here has something to test it with that would be similar hardware wise, and could point their browser to it at

http://www.the-exp.net/ITANK.html

and report back on how smooth/unsmooth it runs (arrow keys /equivalent to move) that would be fantastic :)

-Antony Lavelle

Edit: Just tried it on Safari on an iPod Touch 1G - sigh...not looking good :p

There's a lot of graphical glitches in Arora and a few in Chrome, I guess WebKit hasn't got canvas nailed down yet.

In Arora I can't even see the tank, it's just a sky texture floating around.
In Chrome, the tank shows up but occasionally leaves trails.

Since Pandora is expecting to ship with Arora, this is concerning.

How do you mean "fallen through"? I remember throwing together something in Qt and then you said "hang on" and then the thread disappeared.

lulzfish said:
How do you mean "fallen through"? I remember throwing together something in Qt and then you said "hang on" and then the thread disappeared.
Whoops, you're not included in those two, the first of which was planning on trying something in Open GL ES but then found it quite different from what he was used to in regular GL, and then did not have enough time for it, which was sad but he was a nice guy and very apologetic (we all have commitments afterall) the next was just plain rude about wanting to do it in Java and was more interested in Flash bashing :p
I had quite a few messages through the forums, yourself included, sorry if i seemed to just vanish, i've been here all along and havent meant to be rude, so sorry, i'm going to stick with canvas for now and do a super simple version (no where near as heavy as that) and work specifically on aurora implementation so it works all friendly with pandora, I'm in no major rush to get anything out, I plan on using my panda for a long long time, afterall.

Still, thanks for the feedback! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a test onto my PC, using Opera 10.51. Graphics are fast (of course :D ) but the Tank missing its wheels.
I like the smoooooth zoom, I hope the Pandora has enough power for this stuff ^^

fusion_power said:
I made a test onto my PC, using Opera 10.51. Graphics are fast (of course :D ) but the Tank missing its wheels.
I like the smoooooth zoom, I hope the Pandora has enough power for this stuff ^^
Same results here. I'm on Linux x86_64 Google Chrome 5.0.342.9 beta

eeePC 701 x86 WinXP / Google Chrome: working, little lag @ 900 Mhz, quite a bit of lag @ stock setting (630mhz?)

might be comparable speed-wise to the pandora (maybe).

Runs pretty poorly on my Samsung NC10, when jumping it gets even worse (maybe 1 FPS), this is using Chrome. The NC10 specs are:

Intel Atom 1.6 GHz N270 (Dual Core)
1 GB DDR2 memory
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

So not overly high, but it runs much more demanding games smoothly.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Runs quite slowly on my n810 with Tear but looks just like it does on my PC with Chromium. The tank is horribly low-res under Opera 10.1 on my PC but apart from that it runs fine.
The background doesn't draw correctly and the tank doesn't draw at all on my HTC Magic using the Android browser. Using Opera Mini on my Magic it renders well (better than 10.1 on desktop) but doesn't animate.

Yes, I made the game Shift, and it looks like I'm going to have to do alot of scaling down to have this one playable on mobile platforms :p Oh well...

Quite stuttery on my Touch Book. Also see no wheels (using Firefox or Midori). Having played Indestructotank AE (totally badass), I'd say it runs too slow to be properly playable at the moment. But please keep trying! Flash may be nice for programming, but open standards are so much cooler.

got_wot said:
Whoops, you're not included in those two, the first of which was planning on trying something in Open GL ES but then found it quite different from what he was used to in regular GL, and then did not have enough time for it, which was sad but he was a nice guy and very apologetic (we all have commitments afterall) the next was just plain rude about wanting to do it in Java and was more interested in Flash bashing :p

I was advocating Java quite strongly, but never bashed Flash, so that must've been someone else. :)

You turned down my offer, so... heh.

It runs fine on my Quad in Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.

hmmm.. I made a shortlist of programming languages, eventually pygame came out as result.
HTML5 failed the speedtest on netbook specs

On my 500mhz Pandora, that link doesn't seem to want to animate on Midori. (In fact it causes Midori to freeze.)

Pac-Google seems to work OK, though. With a low, but playable framerate.

As mentioned above no wheels visible in Opera 10.53 but it runs very smoothly. Impressive! I wouldn't have thought HTML would come to grow to sth like this. Here's to hoping this standard gets popular, same for the video implementation. Good stuff!

edit: grammar

Back