Howto Get Ncurses For My Build Environment

mongolito404

Website
Visit site
Hoi,

I'm trying to get ncurses for my build env. According to luteijn patch is needed. So I downloaded the source and try to compile it using the classic "./configure; make; make install".
To configure, I used "./configure --host=arm-linux --build=i686 --with-shared --prefix=/usr/local/devkitPro/devkitGP2X". It works and find everything it needs, reports a cross compilation and detects both my native compiler (gcc) and my target compiler (arm-linux-gcc). 'make ' goes fine too, without any error. But 'make isntall' don't. It complains about 'tic' not being an executable for my build environment. I've been told to use the "--disable-tic" but it has ne effect.

What did I do wrong ?

Using --host= --build= an --target= I couldn't really get the configure script to understand that it had to set things up to compile any intermediate stuff with the i386 compiler, so it could be run on the building machine to generate whatever it wanted to generate, so I just cheated by changing the compiler used in the relevant makefiles back to gcc temporary, ran make, deleted any object files not in the right format, and changed the compiler back to the arm one. (similar trick was needed for gdb I think)
Maybe I was calling configure wrong, maybe the automake stuff wasn't set up properly to support cross compiling, I don't know, but since I got it to work, I haven't looked into it any further.

P.

Back