"how-To's" In The Archive

openthebox

I aplologize in advance if this has been covered before. I did a search on "how to" and "archive" and did not find anything relevant to this topic.

Main point of this post : Please create a category for "How-To's". I see the Misc category, but I feel that the importance of How-To's warrants it's own category.

I thought about this topic before and this post by WizardStan within the X86 Linux & Arm Linux Apps reminded me of its importance (well, at least to me). ;)

IMHO, "How-To's" and manuals are in-valuable for the success of the Pandora. Let's face it, not all customers who purchase the Pandora uses Linux. To attract more customers from the Windows camp, a repository of "How-To's" will greatly entice this crowd.

How-To's such as:
* compile Linux apps
* setup and use a webcam
* setup GPS
* use that PS3 controller for 2 player gaming
* add that LED light to the cover of the Pandora
* setup different format options for SD cards
* other custom mods
* select an add-on to a pandora
* etc...

When a user wonders how to do something, the "How-To" repository should be the first place they need to search, not the forum and definately not on page 15 of a 30 page thread.

If you build it, they will come. :p

Edit : added another entry to 'How-To'. Sorry for the how-To's in the topic :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is an excellent Idea to help the "linux newbies" like myself :D

Not sure if they need How too's for Mods there, I would think that would a be great topic for Gruso's blog page.

Edit: scratch that, as long as it's all in one place with individually adressed topics it all sounds good. I think this should be done where questions could be asked for clarification, maybe done just like Gruso's blog?

Yes it is a good idea, but I don't think a blog is necessary.
Just made into stickies (In a separate forum category) with the the front page to the thread kept up to date. Think it should include all how-to's, even mods.

I think you'll find that it's easier to do things than you think. Especially to just use it in the most basic way. Most of the common/basic software will probably already be compiled, or will be by someone, it's really about packaging them into PND's if its appropriate.
Some how-to's can be started on I guess, but most will only really come once the Pandora is out in the wild.

The wiki lends itself to being the source of how-to goodness better than the archive, or even the forums. As a matter of fact there is already a link to tutorials on the main page, there just isn't any content yet.

There is already a wiki, which is much better for this kind of thing.

I'd imagine it will fill up with copypasted forum posts of howtos as soon as the Pandora is actually out there for people to work out how to do things. :)

EDIT: Gah beaten!

mindlord said:
The wiki lends itself to being the source of how-to goodness better than the archive, or even the forums. As a matter of fact there is already a link to tutorials on the main page, there just isn't any content yet.

Hmmm... I had forgotten about the Wiki. Yeah, that should do the job.
I see that Orkie is the owner, so it should be in good hands.

OpenTheBox said:
mindlord said:

Hmmm... I had forgotten about the Wiki. Yeah, that should do the job.
I see that Orkie is the owner, so it should be in good hands.
I don't see a "printer friendly" print option on the Wiki, is that something that can be setup?
See: "Printable version" in the toolbox on the left.

Back