GP2X How To Write An Exception Handler

hypertrm is unfortunately what comes with windows, so what most people will use, even though its terminal emulation is sub-standard...

putty is free to use even for commercial entities, and very nice for ssh, for serial you can't use it unfortunately. TuTTY does have a serial backend though..

SecureCrt is really nice, but license costs are a little over the top.

P.

For what it's worth, one of the projects I'm working on (and may or may not complete) is a library for the GP2X that includes a lot of CLR-style functionality in C++ programs, and one of the things I hope to include is exception handling.

luteijn posted on Feb 5 2006 at 11:02 PM said:

P.

Quick and easy solution - Just get the company you work for to buy it instead. Thats what I did :)

It kinda went like this:
"I want to buy SecureCRT"
"Justification?"
"Need it for my job"
"Oh ok, buy it then" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Feb 6 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
luteijn posted on Feb 5 2006 at 11:02 PM said:

P.

Quick and easy solution - Just get the company you work for to buy it instead. Thats what I did :)

It kinda went like this:
"I want to buy SecureCRT"
"Justification?"
"Need it for my job"
"Oh ok, buy it then" :)

It went like this at my job:
internal clients: 'We want to use putty, script it'
me: 'Why? you can just download it yourself. It's free for commercial use'
ic:'Need something like it, and this one is fit for purpose and has infinite value for money, as it's free and we are network engineers, we don't know how to download stuff from the internet and put it on our desktop.'
me:'Ok, I'll arrange for to have it scripted..'

...time passes and a new version of putty is needed due to discovered security bugs. I no longer work for the department responsible for the maintenance, so some other nitwit gets to deal with the scripting department...

Scripting department:'we can't script freeware or shareware without a license'
Old department:'Eh ok, bye... oh stop, wait, wait this ex-colleague told me the actual text of the policy reads slightly different, and since PuTTY has a license, it can be scripted'
SD:'Eh, shit, yes, well, we need an ECCN to comply with us export laws'
OD:'ok, we don't have one. Nevermind that the ex-colleague, who's new department is the main user of this software, has looked it up for us, since we don't understand what an ECCN is and this is taking to much time.'
SD:'We do have an F-secure suite already scripted, that's used by server maintenance guys; if you want, you can buy licenses and use that instead...'
OD:'Eh sounds good, do it, don't test if f-secure is fit for purpose, and we'll pretend we don't know about last year's test results that tell us F-secure sucks eggs, e.g. if you paste more than a few lines into it it will eat random characters, ruining access to the router you tried to configure with it.'
SD:'Ok done. Have fun'

Then I got back to them again with (basically 'WTF!?!Elventy-one? have you done??', but disguised as) a nice email pointing out that F-secure was NOT fit for purpose, and if they really wanted to buy licenses, they should get secureCRT ones, which is also already scripted and a lot better, and again listing the refutation of the scripting departments arguments, and pointing out that the ECCN for F-secure would be the same as for putty... They couldn't be arsed and came up with lame excuses that pointed out that they had no idea what they were talking about.

So I just put putty on my desktop instead, some people of lesser moral requested (or 'hacked' their way into the distribution system (i.e. mapped the share)) and installed secureCRT, feigning ignorance of the absence of licenses.
Original department:"You're the only one complaining, so it's a non-issue" (Yeah, no-one complained to you, because they all complained to me, being the defacto liason as I did your work last year, and I made sure they could do their work, so they're happy)"

So unfortunately that wouldn't be an option for me. Looking at the age distribution of people here, a lot of them won't even have an employer to buy the sw for them.

I use unix for most of my work anyway, so it's not really an issue for me, but most people will at least try to use Hypertrm, and luckily it isn't THAT bad.. Just don't try to do anything fancy..

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds just like a classic Dilbert scene to me :)

The really horrible thing to me is that Hyperterm seems to screw up it's scrollback buffer on a regular basis. As in the screen your viewing is fine, but if you grab the scroll bar, all you see is mashed up text.

Oh, and I hate having to enter a name everytime I ask for a new session, just to find out what serial port a usb->serial adaptor has decided to use.

Back