How to Update your GPU Drivers for a Better Life

Thanks for the reminder and +1 to Wally's question, main reason that kept me from updating yet.

Apart from a few hints in the F1 spirit thread today, I've not heard of any 1GHz users having a problems with the 4.03.00.02 version, and I've been running it fine on mine for about a month now. I can't see any argument that it's simply no better than the default for GHz users.

It's not at all clear to me what the default should be for CC/Rebirth users though. As I recall, Notaz packaged up the drivers solely because Ghz users were having problems with the default driver than CC/rebirth users weren't, so perhaps those users should stick with the current default option as standard.

I'm not sure of the best way for the standard images to support such variance between targets, but IMO it may be something worth looking into.

Because as Notaz has said in the driver thread all versions are broken in some way. While the newer (mostly 3D) PNDs profit from the driver version mentioned in ekianjo's article some older PNDs (most notable the older lowres Mupen still popular with some because of higher frame rates, but I experienced problems also with KAMI RETRO) don't like it (IIUC due to the way the rendering context is created, which in theory could be adapted to be compatible with the newer versions) and may e.g. hang on returning from low power/suspend mode. Depending on usage pattern it may be advisable to still keep the default version.

I only have a classic CC Pandora so I guess it's a little bit different there from the 1GHz models. Didn't spotted driver issues, maybe some emulators are not working always perfectly but who knows if this is a general driver issue, just wrong setup/plugins or whatever. There seems to be alot of GPU Drivers for the Pandora at least but I doubt I will test everyone if it gives more performance onto my old Pandora.

However, at least it IS possible to manualy update the drivers, that's a nice thing. I just hope that "Pandora 2" will have better drivers and especialy "one for all". so that you don't need that much different drivers where each one has it's own advantages/disadvantages.

Excellent post, here is my constructive feedback:

It occurred to me that there are still some folks who have not updated their GPU drivers and continue using the default one. There’s no good reason to wait anymore to get a slightly more updated one.
How about, "friendly reminder to upgrade your graphics drivers. Better performance, less glitches, more battery life.

So why ? Why do you need to update the driver? Well,

This is largely redundant and is aking to a pet peve of mine, faq's that go nowhere. I was already in the mindset of changing gfx drivers as we got into this.

Now you can try again the applications I mentioned above.
Now you can relaunch the aforementioned appliactions and spot the difference. Better english.

that’s how computers work when you don’t hide stuff from the user behind stupid progress bars.

How about, that is the actual progress, think of it as a friendly progress bar plus the intel on what its actually doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you can relaunch the aforementioned appliactions and spot the difference. Better english.
Thanks, indeed better. Note that I wrote this post very late, I agree it's not my best prose ever :)  

How about, that is the actual progress, think of it as a friendly progress bar plus the intel on what its actually doing.
OK :) I guess I was too carried away with the Android discussions going around, and the people who love "consumer-only" devices. 

How about, "friendly reminder to upgrade your graphics drivers. Better performance, less glitches, more battery life.
I'm not sure about the "more battery life". Did you just make it up, or did I miss something somewhere? 

I noticed the increasing aggressive tendency too, who couldn`t?

Why all the swearing like here in the title of your article combined with an order and calling your readers "stupid" like in the article about workspaces?

If it should be funny: It is not.

Ok, that might be a dubious claim. I guess if you cap it at something and it has to run more cycles to do it, thats better battery life. I seem to have read that the newer drivers are better.

Edit: hold on, its your thread title..

@ekianjo,

Where you wrote:

Get the 4.03.02 one. Select it and click OK 
Should it read:

Get the 4.03.00.02 one. Select it and click OK
?

Probably obvious to most but if you warning people to be careful when selecting, should be exactly as shown on their screens probably.

Good to know though, I'll install this driver myself tonight

@ekianjo,

Where you wrote:

Get the 4.03.02 one. Select it and click OK
Should it read:

Get the 4.03.00.02 one. Select it and click OK
?

Probably obvious to most but if you warning people to be careful when selecting, should be exactly as shown on their screens probably.

Good to know though, I'll install this driver myself tonight
Oops, good catch ! Will correct it.

Tried this on my cc unit & Quake 1 & 2 no longer worked so reverted back to original driver.

Back