How to make a file in rules.d?

tdude10

Still Fresh
I'm trying to get my wiimote paired with my pandora right now, and to do so I need to create a .rules file in etc\udev\rules.d and when I try i get "Failed to save document, permission denied". How can I get around this? I am the system admin, so how can I be denied? :wacko: Thanx in advance!

you need the magic word that gives you permission...

sudo

Your regular account doesn't have root permissions.. to give your self this permission you need to put sudo in front of your command. you will be prompted a password and this is just your login password.

Not sure if it's intentional but your slashes are wrong.. etc\udev\rules.d should be /etc/udev/rules.d/

Last edited by a moderator:
Try running the command as root. sudo <command for txt editor here>

Let me know if this works as the wiimote PND fails to map buttons to your wiimote.

@TrashyMG: unintentional, used to windows where they are backslashes.

@bothofyou: What i'm trying to do is get another file moved to that folder. Not yet running any commands in this step, as what I've gathered has got me this far. (this may be the most retarded question ever) How do I get the file to that folder? It won't let me save it there from mousepad, and I'm as good as a two year old with terminal. Help please!!!

edit: @apersonthinks: this is exactly the problem I'm attempting to get around.

I know your not big on the command line.. but if you run mousepad with root permissions it will let you save in that folder...

just need to type:

Code:
sudo mousepad

@TrashyMG: ohh! Thank you very much! I never knew you could just load applications from terminal (tough it makes sense :wacko: )

What I ended up doing to make the "Wiimote Configurator" pnd work goes as follows:

after getting the pnd, run (sudo opkg update). when that finishes (which took about 4 minutes for me, superzaxxon final) run (sudo install cwiid). If you run the app now, it will likely say "unable to open uinput". What I did was run (sudo modprobe uinput). This should look like it does nothing at all, but if you run Wiimote Configurator and select a controller style, it should prompt you to press 1+2. Minimize terminal and game away!

@ANYONE: please tell me if this works for you!!!

BTW I did sudo modprobe uinput with just the pnd and it works just fine, no need to install cwiid from the repository

edit: on SuperZaxxon 5.2

Back